Anyone ever use freetour.com?

2K1N1K

Dryer sheet wannabe
We have a trip booked this summer to Berlin, Prague, Vienna and Budapest. Freetour operates in each of the cities and I was wondering if anyone has experience. It seems like a good concept, where you tip the guide what you feel they were worth.

We have used free walking guides in a number of cities. They have been some of our best walking tours. We did so this past March in Sydney, Australia.

What really bothers us is people who sneak away just prior to the end to avoid tipping. Or those who stiff the guides, either giving nothing or substantially less than the going rate.

I've taken the Free Walking Tour of Budapest and Prague--first day we arrive. Then we always go back and take their nightlife tour where 15-20 people from all over the world go around to the different bars and restaurants. The night tour is a highlight of any trip.

I whole heartedly recommend the tours. Those are all wild and crazy cities for bohemians.

We have used free walking guides in a number of cities. They have been some of our best walking tours. We did so this past March in Sydney, Australia.

What really bothers us is people who sneak away just prior to the end to avoid tipping. Or those who stiff the guides, either giving nothing or substantially less than the going rate.

So what is the going rate?

So what is the going rate?

I usually give about $20 per person.

I've used them in a few cities and they are great. I usually tip 10 Euros for each of us. If they are super great I'll go to 15 Euros. This is for about up to a 2 hr walk.

I did arrange for one, in Portugal , and at the last minute, when we no longer had wifi, they changed the meeting place, so we missed the tour and did our own walk about.
It bugged me as I reserved a spot with credit card before the trip, but fortunately they never charged me for the no show.

The going rate is a combination of what the typical rate is in the city,the length of the tour and how good/comprehensive the tour is, IMHO.

Our most recent 'free' tours were in Valparaiso and Santiago, Chile, and in Sydney. Huge differences in COL, prices, etc. We gave our tour guide in Sydney $40AUD for two people this past March. Cannot remember Valpo or Santiago but it was less. All three were good tours, typically done by university students.

We do not use the website per sae. We do research places either before or during a visit. Quite a few cities have 'free' walking tours. Some are commercial and often led by students, some by volunteers associate with the local tourist bureau or chambers of commerce.

There is no downside. IF you don't like it simply walk away early.

Back
Top Bottom