Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone fly Sun Country Airlines?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone fly Sun Country Airlines?

I'm making reservations to fly back east for a niece's graduation. Expedia says the lowest fare is on Sun Country Airlines. I've never heard of them! Does anyone have experiences with this airline (positive or negative) to report?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #2

Well, modern equipment and keeping pilots trained costs a lot. There might be a reason for the low fares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suncountry.jpg (200.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
gone traveling

On One Hand: Excellent Safety Record

Sun Country Airlines has one of the best track records of any current airline. According to Air Safe, Sun Country has not had a single fatal plane crash since it started flying in 1983. Only a few companies, such as America West, Southwest and Trans States Airlines have as good or a longer streak without a fatality than Sun Country's 27 years.
On the Other: FAA Violations

Sun Country committed 13 Federal Aviation Administration violations and the FAA reported 12 incidents involving this airline between 1997 and 2000, according to Aviation Law News. The FAA levied one violation, for example, in 2001 because Sun Country knowingly transported an explosive device.
Bottom Line

You should feel very safe flying with Sun Country Airlines because they almost never experience any fatalities and employ some excellent pilots. In 2000, for example, a quick-thinking Sun Country pilot managed to avoid a potential fatal crash by avoiding a craft that crossed in front of it at Milwaukee's Mitchell Airport.
Source:

AirSafe: Airlines with No Fatal Plane Crashes Since 1970
Aviation Law News: Airline Safety Reports
Federal Aviation Administration: FAA Proposes $68,750 Civil Penalty Against Sun Country Airlines
California Aviation Alliance: Airport News, "Sun Country plane pulls up over Chautauqua craft on runway, FAA says"

Read more: Is it safe to fly Sun Country Airlines? | Answerbag Is it safe to fly Sun Country Airlines? | Answerbag
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've flown Sun Country. I took several of their flights to Vegas. However, that was quite a few years ago. I never had any bad experiences with them.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I've flown Sun Country. I took several of their flights to Vegas. However, that was quite a few years ago. I never had any bad experiences with them.
Almost the same here. Just replace Vegas with Florida.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

As Minneapolis residents, where Sun Country promotes itself as "the hometown airline," we've flown them for 15 years. Great customer service, fairest prices.
Go for it!
dicksaun is offline   Reply With Quote