Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #2001
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^ IAH

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #2002
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
^ IAH
Not too exciting. It's on the north side of town and the biggest airport. Close to where several of us members live (The Woodlands), but we are not a real exciting group.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
^ IAH
Perhaps aja8888 should have said "It depends on if you land".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not too exciting. It's on the north side of town and the biggest airport. Close to where several of us members live (The Woodlands), but we are not a real exciting group.
Lived in Houston 73-2011.

I grew up in Alief.

Hey at least I got stros tix for Tuesday night...that roof better be closed
Old 05-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #2005
Recycles dryer sheets

We are heading to Germany - 2 week driving trip thru southern part.
Flight to Stutgart for only 833!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #2006
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are going to key West on Sunday, then in June we are going up to the St. Louis area where the wife is hooking up with some of her gal pals for a little trip. We also plan on hitting Savanah and Charleston soon. July we may go to the Williamsburg area. August it's back to the St. Louis area for grandkids #3's arrival.

There may be more, but these are what I know about now.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Barcelona pics since we'll be there in August.
Hot, and crowded, (with tourists), in August.....good luck.

Weather in August in Barcelona

Quote:
You can see from this weather log that it will be hot, humid and very sunny in August. A good portion of the Barcelona population leave the city during this month to go on holiday. Many of the smaller shops are closed - but for the larger stores it will be "business as usual". The beaches are popular and a little overcrowded at this time. Barcelona suffers from high humidity in this month so make sure your hotel is fitted with air conditioning that will not only cool your room but take some of the humidity out of the air. High factor screen block and sun shades are a must at this time. Get around the city by metro which is mostly air conditioned on most of the trains.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #2008

Just bought airfare to Copenhagen. We're taking a Baltic Cruise up to Estonia, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm and back to Copenhagen. Then, flying over to Oslo and taking the train and fjord cruise trip over to Bergen. I wouldn't have taken the trip, however the prices I found online were ridiculously inexpensive.

We've already been to Budapest-Bratslava-Vienna-Prague, cruise to Aruba-Curacao-Turks & Caicos and Las Vegas-Hawaii-San Francisco in the last year. I'm getting to thinking that I'm an obsessive traveler, and it's time to slow down.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:54 AM   #2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I'm getting to thinking that I'm an obsessive traveler, and it's time to slow down.
Take deep breaths and sit quietly until the feeling passes.....it's an unsettling but temporary anomaly and can be easily overcome.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #2010

We are keeping our eyes open for a good price on a Baltic cruise in late Aug. Prices seem soft. I am optimistic that we can get something once the final payment date has passed. After that south to Greece for some island hopping perhaps. We usually do late booking offers.

Only other challenge is to convince my spouse that this is a good idea!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #2011

4 days in/around Charlottesville, VA.
Wine, bed, beer, bed, beer, bed. Throw in some art and Monticello too.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #2012
Dryer sheet wannabe

Going on six week trip in a week in our new travel trailer. Leaving MN to Black Hills, on to SLC to Yosemite. Then to DW sister near Reno. Across northern Cal (Napa Valley) to coast then north up Oregon Coast. On to Ranier then to DW other sister in Wenatchee WA then on towards Yellowstone and back home. First summer vacation in 42 years. Retired Dec-2014
Old 05-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #2013
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Just bought airfare to Copenhagen. We're taking a Baltic Cruise up to Estonia, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm and back to Copenhagen. Then, flying over to Oslo and taking the train and fjord cruise trip over to Bergen. I wouldn't have taken the trip, however the prices I found online were ridiculously inexpensive.
We did this cruise some years back, and it was one of my two favorite cruises ever, along with transiting the Panama Canal. We used Rick Steves book, Scandinavia, which seems specially designed for the Baltic cruise itinerary, and followed his self-guided walking tours for Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Talinn and Stockholm.

Can't recommend enough setting your alarm early for the three hour+ sail-ins to Oslo and Stockholm. Simply breathtaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd0850 View Post
Going on six week trip in a week in our new travel trailer. Leaving MN to Black Hills, on to SLC to Yosemite. Then to DW sister near Reno. Across northern Cal (Napa Valley) to coast then north up Oregon Coast. On to Ranier then to DW other sister in Wenatchee WA then on towards Yellowstone and back home. First summer vacation in 42 years. Retired Dec-2014
We did much of this itinerary in a travel trailer last year, and it was outstanding. I'm sure you will have a most wonderful time.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:59 AM   #2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
We are heading to Germany - 2 week driving trip thru southern part.
Flight to Stutgart for only 833!
I want to do this. Let us know how it works out.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #2015
Recycles dryer sheets

Paris!

We just returned from our first trip ever to Paris, and have to say that I now understand why it is the most visited location in the world. In spite of having traveled to many places we consider absolutely wonderful - London, Rome, Sydney to name just a few - Paris absolutely enchanted us. We stayed 10 days in Paris before moving on to tour the rest of France, and we could easily have stayed 10 more without feeling that we'd run out of things to do, see or experience. Having the dollar be so strong against the Euro was an unexpected bonus, and allowed us to dine and shop a bit more indulgently than we might have otherwise. Thank goodness Paris is such a walkable city, or we'd have come home a lot heavier than when we set out. Yes, the food really is that divine!

We are already plotting our return.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #2016
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
We just returned from our first trip ever to Paris, and have to say that I now understand why it is the most visited location in the world. In spite of having traveled to many places we consider absolutely wonderful - London, Rome, Sydney to name just a few - Paris absolutely enchanted us. We stayed 10 days in Paris before moving on to tour the rest of France, and we could easily have stayed 10 more without feeling that we'd run out of things to do, see or experience. Having the dollar be so strong against the Euro was an unexpected bonus, and allowed us to dine and shop a bit more indulgently than we might have otherwise. Thank goodness Paris is such a walkable city, or we'd have come home a lot heavier than when we set out. Yes, the food really is that divine!

We are already plotting our return.
Sounds great! We will be there next week.

Did you find you needed to make lunch and dinner reservations? Or was it a bit less structured than that?
Old 05-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #2017
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Sounds great! We will be there next week.

Did you find you needed to make lunch and dinner reservations? Or was it a bit less structured than that?
We did not dine out during lunch - we primarily picked up baguettes, quiches, etc., and ate on the go or at a park - but from what I observed at the many eateries we walked by, no reservations should be necessary.

For dinner, it would seem to depend on the size of the restaurant. Some of them are teeny tiny, with as few as 12 tables, and reservations would probably be prudent. The larger restaurants and bistros were busy but not 100% full during our stay. The cafes were fine for the most part before 8:00 pm.

We utilized Rick Steves Paris book extensively to determine where to dine each night, and were never disappointed.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #2018
Recycles dryer sheets

I had planned to go somewhere for my birthday next month but got a traffic ticket yesterday for "allegedly" going through a stop sign. Now I will have a fine to pay and traffic school. Never fails, unexpected vet bills, car problems, you name it - thwarts my vacation plans every time.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #2019
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
We did not dine out during lunch - we primarily picked up baguettes, quiches, etc., and ate on the go or at a park - but from what I observed at the many eateries we walked by, no reservations should be necessary.

For dinner, it would seem to depend on the size of the restaurant. Some of them are teeny tiny, with as few as 12 tables, and reservations would probably be prudent. The larger restaurants and bistros were busy but not 100% full during our stay. The cafes were fine for the most part before 8:00 pm.

We utilized Rick Steves Paris book extensively to determine where to dine each night, and were never disappointed.
We'll probably use the technique of wandering by a few hours before and try to make a reservation - this is for restaurants close to the hotel.

None of the places I've picked are in the Rick Steve's book. Probably because the district we are staying in (Rue de Rivoli/Tuileries area) isn't in Steve's book. I rely on Trip Advisor reviews for dining suggestions.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #2020

Just booked a southern France river cruise for August. VRC had a free air thing that looked like a pretty good deal to me. Swapped the direct return with one from Paris. So I'll be booking a train to Paris at the end of the cruise, and some hotel nights. We'll probably buy the hop on hop off bus for a day or two, then hang out with a brewer buddy of mine for a few more days.