Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, we stayed at the Orto de Medici years ago.

For kcowan - we stayed at this boutique hotel maybe nine/ten years ago. It was around the corner from the Academy - where Michelangelo's "David" is exhibited. The hotel has a lovely terrace serving drinks and light fare.

The DW and I are starting to put together an Easten Europe Imperials Capitals trip (on our own). We have to visit Lviv, Ukraine because that's where my wife's parents were from. The DW speaks Polish & Ukrainian, so we should get by fine. I'll be messaging some knowledgeable members to get some helpful specifics.:D

You are all really depressing me. The only firm travel plans I have right now are for Omaha, NE next week.

I actually like the city much more than you might expect; but, not in February.

Lena leaves to visit her family in Sweden in a few days. She's going to meet Jenny and Jenny's boyfriend there!

Here's a shot of Lena's SIL skating yesterday on the path that's been plowed on the big lake there.

IceSkating.jpg

Going to Barcelona 2 weeks from now and then I have an award ticket to Sicily in June.

DW and I head back to Cozumel in 12 days and can't hardly wait. Past time to get some dives in and they are seeing lots of dolphins around right now plus still seeing some eagle rays.

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

Going to Guangdong province, one of the provinces in China, for 10 days with family. I've been before long time ago but Guangdong is very large and have modernised a lot lately, so hopefully, can cover more new places this time. My father is bringing a wheelchair for the trip, so will be my first time pushing a wheelchair around and his first time in a wheelchair for a trip. I just hope that when I am old and need a wheelchair, I can still travel. However, having no kids, I see that as quite difficult unless one hires help.

Thinking about a trip to Italy; never been there as a tourist. I had been there when I was in the USAF, but never really got around to seeing much. Just don't know where to start the planning on places to go and see.

Thinking about a trip to Italy; never been there as a tourist. I had been there when I was in the USAF, but never really got around to seeing much. Just don't know where to start the planning on places to go and see.

Italy is our favourite place and have been there many time. In your first trip you should probably start with Rome for a few days then train or drive to Florence and Tuscany. Others might suggest Venice, lakes, or Amalfi but probably makes more sense to do those in a later trip.

Italy is our favourite place and have been there many time. In your first trip you should probably start with Rome for a few days then train or drive to Florence and Tuscany. Others might suggest Venice, lakes, or Amalfi but probably makes more sense to do those in a later trip.

Thanks, I will look into this; any special places (hotels) to stay at that you would recommend? We want to get the real feel for Itay since we may what to spend a lot more time there if we really like it.:)

Thanks, I will look into this; any special places (hotels) to stay at that you would recommend? We want to get the real feel for Itay since we may what to spend a lot more time there if we really like it.:)

Not sure what your budget is but to see the "real" Italy you might consider renting an apartment in a non touristy part of Rome for a few weeks. Also, if funds available a house(they call them Villas) in Tuscany is almost a cliche. To see non touristy parts of Italy also consider: Sicily, Puglia(esp Lecce), or Umbria. These are much less expensive and offer an authentic experience. As you will know travel is a very personal thing so advice such as I'm giving should only be taken with much more research. It really depends on what you like/can afford.

Reactions: DFA
Italy is maybe the most popular European destination for Americans -- may be more popular than Latin America even.

Plenty of resources, everyone typically starts with Rome.

We did the Med Cruise from Venice and after Croatia and Greece up the west side. One day in each of Naples /Amalfi/Popeii, Rome, Florence and then went back to Rome for a week then Lucca for a week, then Cinque Terra then Lake Como.

Finally went to Lucerne Switzerland, Strasborg France and Frankfurt. 26 days in all.

We leave for England tomorrow. I just checked in on-line and for the first time had to pay for checked bags. We've flown international a lot in the last 3 years and have never needed more than 1 checked bag each.

This time however we had to pack for 7 months so 2 bags each are now checked in and it cost $50/bag, $100 total. Checking in on-line saved $5/bag. I was unable to get seats booked on the connecting flight at Amsterdam, which is only a 1 hour connection time. This means that we will almost certainly miss the connection (my past experience when they won't give you boarding passes for a connecting flight is that the flight is oversold).

At least we'll have plenty of time to visit the duty free.

We have a cruise planned to Alaska for June. Going northbound from Vancouver to Seward, then spending 4 more nights doing our own land tour - going to Denali. So excited about this vacation - I think it is one we will remember for a long time to come.

We leave for England tomorrow.

Safe travels!

We have a cruise planned to Alaska for June. Going northbound from Vancouver to Seward, then spending 4 more nights doing our own land tour - going to Denali. So excited about this vacation - I think it is one we will remember for a long time to come.

If it fits into the budget try to charter a flight along the Alaskan Range so you can get up close and personal with Denali. Did that with the family in 2006 and everybody still talks about it. Jaw dropping!

If it fits into the budget try to charter a flight along the Alaskan Range so you can get up close and personal with Denali. Did that with the family in 2006 and everybody still talks about it. Jaw dropping!

You can take a helicopter ride from a place just outside the Denali park gate. It is expensive, but well worth it.

Sounds absolutely fantastic.

You can take a helicopter ride from a place just outside the Denali park gate. It is expensive, but well worth it.

We have a helicopter glacier landing planned from Denali...in true LBYM style I am using a buy one get one coupon from the Alaska Toursaver book for this...still not cheap, but half price on this one is huge!

I'd love to also do a flight around Mt. McKinley from Talkeetna, but only so much time and money...but if the weather is perfect on the way up, we may just be motivated to splurge some more!

In addition to the above we have a Kenai Fjords sealife/glacier cruise booked out of Seward and a whale watching cruise booked out of Juneau. Only a few more months!

Safe travels!

We are also cruising from Vancouver but in May . In true LBYM fashion you can now subscribe to the Entertainment book online for $4.95 for a month and get two for one coupons for the trolley tour , the aquarium and several restaurants .Plus if you are flying into Seattle there is a two for one coupon for the Quick Coach. Have a great time !

We have a helicopter glacier landing planned from Denali...in true LBYM style I am using a buy one get one coupon from the Alaska Toursaver book for this...still not cheap, but half price on this one is huge!

I'd love to also do a flight around Mt. McKinley from Talkeetna, but only so much time and money...but if the weather is perfect on the way up, we may just be motivated to splurge some more!

In addition to the above we have a Kenai Fjords sealife/glacier cruise booked out of Seward and a whale watching cruise booked out of Juneau. Only a few more months!

Nice snag on the coupon! We stayed two nights at the Kantishna Roadhouse inside the park and flew back out rather than take the bus ride again. Sadly, no coupon but it was still a great experience.

I would also recommend a visit to the Alaska SeaLife Center there in Seward. There's also the Exit Glacier just ten minutes outside of Seward where you can hike right up to the end of the glacier but that might be anti-climatic after your helicopter glacier visit.

We are also cruising from Vancouver but in May . In true LBYM fashion you can now subscribe to the Entertainment book online for $4.95 for a month and get two for one coupons for the trolley tour , the aquarium and several restaurants .Plus if you are flying into Seattle there is a two for one coupon for the Quick Coach. Have a great time !

That's a steal on the Entertainment book - will have to check it out, thanks! Best wishes for your cruise, too. :)

Nice snag on the coupon! We stayed two nights at the Kantishna Roadhouse inside the park and flew back out rather than take the bus ride again. Sadly, no coupon but it was still a great experience.

I would also recommend a visit to the Alaska SeaLife Center there in Seward. There's also the Exit Glacier just ten minutes outside of Seward where you can hike right up to the end of the glacier but that might be anti-climatic after your helicopter glacier visit.

Oooh, Kantishna caught my eye...but it was beyond what I was willing to spend. Must have been an incredible experience. Regarding Seward - I was interested in both of the things you recommended...but not enough time to do it all. My friend did the SeaLife Center and also said it was fantastic.

DS along with his family are going from NY down to the Breakers in Palm Beach from Thursday to Sunday. We will be joining him along with DD and her family for the weekend. Not often DW and I have all 3 grand kids in the same place at the same time. Should be a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom