Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #2261
Full time employment: Posting here.

Making another trip to Maryland to help my oldest with projects around the house. The last trip earlier this year was to build a backyard fence. This trip is to put some drainage in his backyard and level it with top soil. He had a pond in the backyard from all the heavy rains this summer that took a week to drain.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #2262

Yeah - the train doesn't go to Taormina - so you can get off in Giardini Naxos and take a taxi up, or there is a bus. There's also a high speed bus from CTA to Taormina - takes a bit over an hour and costs less than 10Euro. It drops you at the north end of town - just below the Messina Gate. We looked at this when we were considering staying in Taormina on our summer trip - but we decided to stay in Riposto (where the cugini are) and it was served by train.

http://www.interbus.it/

Old 09-15-2015, 02:20 AM   #2263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The bus to Taormina at Catania Airport is very convenient and operates frequently. We used it to go to Taormina for a few days and then took it down to Naxos to pick up a rental car. We highly recommend it.

We had a good time in Lipari. We dropped the car off in Cefelu, stayed for a few days and then trained to the ferry to get to Lipari. After that it was the train back to Palermo for a few days, Enjoy you trip but be aware that ferry service/tours to the islands can be interrupted by weather and high seas.

I forget the name of the town where we took the ferry. We took a local bus, about 1.5e each to the port.

We had to wait 10 minutes for the bus. There was a cab driver at the station shilling for business....he told us the bus would not come for several hours!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #2264

Milazzo?

The other port is Messina, NE tip of the island.

Yeah hoping the weather holds up through the end of the month.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #2265

We will be docking in Messina on Monday, Nov 02, for approx 7 hours - any suggestions?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #2266

Milazzo, that is it. Not much of a town. Local bus takes you from the train station to the dock in about 15 minutes.

We did not find the trains in Sicily, at least the Palermo-Milazzo route, to be very punctual. Very unlike the mainland rail service.

We ended up flying from Palermo-Rome on Vueling. The airfare was less than half the price of rail and much more convenient. Vueling was excellent.

We did not go to Messina..sorry cannot help you.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #2267
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm planning a Mediterranean vacation for next spring. A repositioning cruise across the Atlantic to Rome, a week in Tuscany, followed by a week in Malta. Suggestions for getting from Civitavecchia to Firenze, hotels in Firenze, and things to do in Malta would be very helpful. Should I rent a car in Malta, or rely on the buses? I will be staying at Golden Bay.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #2268

I believe the bus from Messina to Milazzo is about 50 minutes each way.

The Interbus from Messina to Taormina is about 60-75 minutes each way.

The train from Messina to Giardini Naxos train station is about 40-60 minutes but you'd have to take the bus or a taxi up to Taormina.

The Interbus goes to right outside the center of Taormina.

Both the Messina bus stops and the Messina train station are suppose to be a couple hundred meters from the Messina port.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #2269
Give me a forum ...

We are also going on a transatlantic next spring . It stops in the Azores , Lisbon, Spain & France and ends in Southampton , England . We are spending five days in London then flying home .
Old 09-16-2015, 04:20 AM   #2270

We were in Malta for ten days last Sept. A few days on each island.

We had planned on renting a car but never did. The bus service is extensive but boy can those old darlings ever push to the front of the line! After that we fllew to Catania.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #2271

Leaving on a 10 day trip to Peru tomorrow. Shoulder is still pretty sketchy from the surgery so hopefully it isn't too much of an issue.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #2272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Leaving on a 10 day trip to Peru tomorrow. Shoulder is still pretty sketchy from the surgery so hopefully it isn't too much of an issue.
Watch out for altitude effects. It's gotten me both times I've been to Machu Picchu.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #2273

Take some Diamox with you to Peru. You can take it for acute onset of altitude sickness symptoms.
And have fun, it is so beautiful there!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #2274

Make sure to try a "Pisco Sour" or two. It won't help with any altitude sickness but it has other medicinal properties.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #2275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Take some Diamox with you to Peru. You can take it for acute onset of altitude sickness symptoms.
And have fun, it is so beautiful there!
I took it, but one side effect is that it makes you have to pee all the time. So, I found myself tired, dehydrated (from panting) and perpetually looking for a bathroom.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #2276

Anyone got any travel planned?

Yeah I only took it once, and I was already so miserable and cold and wet that I hardly noticed the additional dehydration. Though that's a good point--if you get dehydrated, you are more likely to get sick.

But the pisco sours definitely make everything better!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #2277

Te de coca, also called mate de coca, is an herbal infusion that helps with altitude adjustment. It's safe and works, just make sure they use boiling water (they usually do). The high altitude may also slow your digestion, even though Peruvian food is scrumptious you might want to eat a bit less the first night or two.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #2278

I've got the acetazolamide. Don't need to pee any more often than I already do though. We spend a couple days at 8000', then a couple at 9000' before ascending to 12,600'. I expect to experience some complications regardless. I will drink the tea (and maybe carry some leaves to chew) and stay well hydrated. And there's oxygen available at the hotels. Will take it easy. Not a big fan of Pisco, but I guess I'll have to have a P-sour or 2 at some point. Was told to eat light but didn't know that the altitude slowed digestion. That's interesting.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #2279
Recycles dryer sheets

Fresh off an 8-day trip to Scotland! First time there and was meeting up with family for the second week of their trip. We fortunately had great weather, and I did just fine in the automatic Audi A5 rental. My first night of driving came after ~20 hours of travel, airports & a long layover in London. True trial by fire: heading into Old Town Edinburgh at night, no navigator Had a great trip, saw a chunk of the country, and came back broadened.

Two weeks earlier was DW's, mine and the kids' first trip to Hawaii! We stayed on Maui, at a resort on the Wailea coast (southwest) and had a blast. Resort Grand Wailea was great for our young kids, and we got out & about including the regional volcano Haleakala and horseback riding on coastal cliffs... Aaah!
Old 09-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #2280
Full time employment: Posting here.

You all are getting me all inspired! Norway is on my bucket list...home of some of the ancestors....