Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #2341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I know, I know, I just like threatening to take people on our kinda trips sometimes.

Good that y'all see eye to eye on travel style. That is a big key to satisfying trips together.

And maybe one day I'll be asking you how to find a swanky hotel somewhere!
If we're voting, I'll take option 'A'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I try to live by Rick Steves' packing list....
Quote:
Rather than carry a whole trip’s supply of toiletries, take enough to get started and look forward to running out of toothpaste in Bulgaria. Then you have the perfect excuse to go into a Bulgarian department store, shop around, and pick up something you think might be toothpaste.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #2343
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LOL!

Yeah, in Vienna DH was not pleased to find out that hydrocortisone cream could not be purchased! An over the counter no-no.

"Why did you take a tube that was almost out?"

"I thought I could buy more."

He ran out of several toiletries like his nose spray. They weren't that easy to replace! And required a couple of hours finding and visiting pharmacies that we could have been playing tourist.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:48 AM   #2344
Recycles dryer sheets

We have taken four oversea trips now with just carry on, running @ two weeks each, and I have also returned with an item or two still unworn. I follow the rolling up method for my clothes, which really does make room for an impressive amount of clothing. And I tie my sneakers together and tie them to the top of my carry on, a big space saver. (These are running sneakers - I love to run in new places. Cross my heart they never see the light of day otherwise when we are overseas. )

I am traveling with a friend to Costa Rica in January to attend a Spanish language immersion series involving lots of moving around between apts/locations, and will again be doing carry on only. She doesn't understand how this can be done, and I'm looking forward to amazing her with how well it really can work. Sun dresses tank tops, shorts, and sandals take up very little space, so I'll be bringing along plenty, plus a swimsuit, some layers for weather changes, and a simplified set of beauty products in carry on sizes. That plus my Kindle Fire and a small camera, and I'll be pretty much set with room to spare. The plan is to fill up any remaining space with Costa Rican coffee for the trip home.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #2345
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Ahhh, thanks - we never would have thought to check out any campgrounds - especially 'slightly sketchy' ones!
Before getting my RV I thought the same way. But now probably most of the campgrounds I visit look a bit sketchy. They are perfectly good and often quieter than larger ones catering to families. That said - Europe is full of motorhome only places (ställplatz) which I prefer since they are cheaper and are usually in town centres and not out in the sticks.

Btw I'm leaving in my RV tomorrow - with Rome, Italy on my GPS.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #2346

I'm an overpacked, figuring I'd rather take extra stuff than spend time hunting down things. For instance, on this current 2week trip to Sicily, I had one mostly empty regular sized toothpaste tube and two full mini tubes. Just opened the second mini tube after finishing the other two.

I packed 10 underwear, changing every day. I had laundry done after 5 or 6 days. Could have packed less and maybe hand washed. Problem was the longest hotel stay was 3 days so wasn't going to be able to let it dry a couple of days.

More importantly, didn't want to hand wash clothes every night or every other night.

I packed second pair of shoes which I never used. I took two battery packs and only used one a couple of times. There was a brief power outage so it could have come in handy.

Nevertheless, my big suitcase that I checked was 55 pounds. I've lugged that on buses, boats and a rental car, through some flights of stairs, some stone sidewalks.

Also had carry on which was mostly taken up by electronics and photo gear, a sling camera backpack.

I could probably take time and compress things, maybe eliminate some things. Will have to see if I try to change in a few months when I go to New Zealand for 3 weeks.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #2347

I can travel for 2 weeks with a large Lands End zippered tote. While Ms G needs a wheeled suitcase, and a large gym bag. I like the tote as I never have to think about stowing in the overhead it can go fine at my feet. I have made it fit every airline carry on sizer I have encountered.

tote.JPG
Old 10-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #2348

grasshopper, that is one of my go-to bags as well! It is nice in that it squishes down nicely and makes a good footrest. Those bags are indestructible!

Though I did buy a max carryon bag from ebags that I like a lot.
I got it because it is convertible to a backpack, but I honestly never wind up taking out the straps. eBags Mother Lode TLS Weekender Convertible - eBags.com

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #2349
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And maybe one day I'll be asking you how to find a swanky hotel somewhere!
Perish the thought!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #2350

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I packed 10 underwear, changing every day. I had laundry done after 5 or 6 days. Could have packed less and maybe hand washed. Problem was the longest hotel stay was 3 days so wasn't going to be able to let it dry a couple of days.
I started wearing Exofficio underwear. It wicks moisture away from the body so it's great active wear. It is also quick dry. I can wash a pair out at night and they are typically dry by morning. I can travel indefinitely with 3 pair of underwear. They aren't cheap though, I've been paying about $18 per pair. I'm getting rid of all my cotton underwear and using these for everyday wear.

Give-N-Go Travel Underwear | ExOfficio.com
Old 10-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #2351

Hmm, is that material like nylon?

I have some athletic briefs like that, mix of nylon and spandex to stretch.

But they can cause chafing on long workouts. I don't run on trips but could walk a lot of miles a day.

I bought some cotton blend athletic briefs which are way more comfortable. And they may dry quicker. Maybe I'll try washing those and see how quickly they dry.

But humidity has been real high too on this trip.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #2352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I started wearing Exofficio underwear. It wicks moisture away from the body so it's great active wear. It is also quick dry. I can wash a pair out at night and they are typically dry by morning. I can travel indefinitely with 3 pair of underwear. They aren't cheap though, I've been paying about $18 per pair. I'm getting rid of all my cotton underwear and using these for everyday wear.

Give-N-Go Travel Underwear | ExOfficio.com
THOSE ARE AMAZING! We called them magic underwear for years before realizing that some people with better religious awareness than us thought we were talking about Mormon underwear, lol!

Come to think about it, I am a bit of an ex-officio zealot...

And beware of imitations, there is nothing quite like them in the quick dry arena. I will say I was less impressed with their bras. Did not hold up as well as the panties.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #2353
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I will say I was less impressed with their bras. Did not hold up as well as the panties.
I suppose that depends on what you're trying to hold up!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #2354
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

More importantly, didn't want to hand wash clothes every night or every other night.

I always take enough underwear to last the trip, a pair a day, no matter how long, but women's underwear doesn't take up much space (some versions take up even less space but those are not in my wardrobe ). We were out of the country for two weeks and I took a 20" roller bag and a big purse. I always pack a travel-size Febreeze and spritz clothes the second time we wear them. I don't think we have ever washed clothes in all our travels, but I would just have the hotel do it if we needed to.

DH needed the 22" expandable for the same trip--he can't pull off the loose-fitting yoga pants and long tops for travel like I can, so his clothes take up more room, but he did find some nice very lightweight REI pants. He had to take a suit w/dress shoes, too, for a special occasion during the trip, so amazing he fit everything in.

It's much easier for me to travel light in the summer--there are great Merrell walking sandals that are on the less-casual side that I wear every day (love the sportier ones but these are more all-purpose and we generally are not going off the beaten path).

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #2355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I suppose that depends on what you're trying to hold up!
Haha! Well, I'll say I don't have a lot of problems in that dept, but I meant the fabric itself! They do mention on the site that their, ahem, equipment is "light duty only" type stuff.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #2356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I always take enough underwear to last the trip, a pair a day, no matter how long, but women's underwear doesn't take up much space (some versions take up even less space but those are not in my wardrobe ). We were out of the country for two weeks and I took a 20" roller bag and a big purse.
That works for a 2 week trip... not so much for a 9 week trip. LOL.

For our big summer trip we each took 7 pairs of underwear - because I knew I could do laundry at least once a week. Family of 4 and I did a couple small loads per week (except when we didn't have a washer in Bologna and in Prague but those were only a 3 nights each.). I say small loads because most of the washers couldn't hold much. By having a weeks worth of underwear I could wash half and a few days for them to dry (worst case)... but usually stuff dried in well under 24 hours.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #2357
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That works for a 2 week trip... not so much for a 9 week trip. LOL.

For our big summer trip we each took 7 pairs of underwear - because I knew I could do laundry at least once a week. Family of 4 and I did a couple small loads per week (except when we didn't have a washer in Bologna and in Prague but those were only a 3 nights each.). I say small loads because most of the washers couldn't hold much. By having a weeks worth of underwear I could wash half and a few days for them to dry (worst case)... but usually stuff dried in well under 24 hours.
Yes, nine weeks with a family of four is not probably not the typical travel adventure here. Glad you could all keep the laundry chores covered.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #2358
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Hmm, is that material like nylon?

I have some athletic briefs like that, mix of nylon and spandex to stretch.

But they can cause chafing on long workouts. I don't run on trips but could walk a lot of miles a day.

I bought some cotton blend athletic briefs which are way more comfortable. And they may dry quicker. Maybe I'll try washing those and see how quickly they dry.

But humidity has been real high too on this trip.
The mens ex-officio stuff is synthetic, but the weave they use is well thought out. i've done lots of walking hiking in them with no chafing issues. you can wash them in the sink and they'll be dry the next morning. i can go on 3 pair indefinitely.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #2359

We travelled for six months. Somehow I cannot imagine my wife packing 183 pairs of underwear!

No matter how long we travel, we essentially take at a maximum a weeks worth of clothing. Sometimes a bit less.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #2360
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We travelled for six months. Somehow I cannot imagine my wife packing 183 pairs of underwear!

No matter how long we travel, we essentially take at a maximum a weeks worth of clothing. Sometimes a bit less.
Now you know what to get her for her birthday! Actually the Exofficio website Helen posted above has some things I would definitely invest in if I had to be on the road in places without self-service laundry facilities for six months.