Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did everybody enjoy most on their Barcelona visit?

I've already found a nice minivan day tour that includes the Dali house/museum in Port Lligat (a logistically difficult trip).

I like the Gaudi buildings but also Parc Guell and Hospital Ssant Pau.

The cable car ride over the harbor.

Montserrat and Tarragona day trips.

Unfortunately I haven't visited the northern coast, the Costa Brava. I'm not big for visiting Dali's home but some people drive across the border there into France.

Actually want to visit Andorra too, but it's not that close to Barcelona.

I like the Gaudi buildings but also Parc Guell and Hospital Ssant Pau.

The cable car ride over the harbor.

Montserrat and Tarragona day trips.
Thanks!

Yes, the Gaudi buildings and Parc Guell are high on our list.

A longish half-day trip to Montserrat looks worthwhile and very doable on our own and via cable car too. I love cable car rides. Didn't know about the one over the harbor.

Hawaii in October/November...1 week in Kauai...1 week on big island

February 2017...ski trip to CO.

Been in Amsterdam, now in Brugges. Had a rare sunny day today! Any must see places here? We are staying at Casselburgh Grand Hotel in the top of the original building. Very nice.

I didn't go inside the city hall but I think you can pay to go up to the tower.

Had only a sunny afternoon there and the rest of the time it rained or was overcast so I didn't pay to go up to the tower.

Further south of the main square though there is the Begijnhof and some nice red brick buildings along the canal there. On a nice day, it would be worth the walk.

I have been to Europe exactly 4 times in my life. Two of them were May 17-30 (participated in a music festival in Italy) and June 14-23 (right now). We are really enjoying our driving trip around Iceland. We're relaxing after 3 days of serious hiking (5-7 miles daily) to look at waterfalls, glaciers, and the mid-Atlantic ridge. I love how long the days are, that right now it is never dark, the unbelievable beauty of the country, and that everyone speaks English. This was a good choice for us.

Next year we're spending 2 weeks in Hawaii in the winter and planning a trip to Jackson Hole specifically to see the solar eclipse. I've also been invited back to Italy next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Travelling to Quebec and the Maritimes in Aug. Just booked a side trip by air to go to Newfoundland and then on to Ireland. The latter two were on our bucket lists for a long time. A great airfare sealed the deal.

Just got back from Baja California with 5 kids. 2 are headed off somewhere 7/6 - 7/9 then 1 to school in Aux du Provence in August / 1 to SFSU.

I need a vacation ;)

Toying between Scotland, rails across northern US states, :confused:

Making my 3rd trip to Thailand with a side trip to Malaysia in September - October. We will spend a couple of days in Kuala Lumpur and then go to Sarawak State in Borneo where we will take several tours into the National Parks there and visit the city of Kuching. Then back to Southern Thailand with a visit to Koh Samui and then to Pattaya.

Using this tour company in Borneo

Sarawak Tours & Daytrips in Malaysian Borneo | Borneo Adventure

Will be gone for a month.

Also, I'm doing the SE Asia trip a week after going the New York City for an annual meet up with college friends from 40 years ago.

Booked a flight to Boston for some early leaf peeping this September. DW has never lived anywhere that had spectacular Autumns. Will rent an RV and drive to the leaves, since it's difficult to predict where the change will be best during a particular week. I'm prepared to drive all the way to Quebec or even Labrador if necessary.

I think the quest will make the trip more exciting.

Booked a flight to Boston for some early leaf peeping this September. DW has never lived anywhere that had spectacular Autumns. Will rent an RV and drive to the leaves, since it's difficult to predict where the change will be best during a particular week. I'm prepared to drive all the way to Quebec or even Labrador if necessary.

There are a bunch of websites that track the fall foliage. Do some googling to find them.

IMO Western Mass. looks like a picture postcard in the fall . I would take the Rv towards there and head upwards into New Hampshire .

Headed for London in early September (cheap tickets and now, after Brexit, cheap currency).
We have visited many times, and always find new things to do - love the place!

My wife and I are doing a bit of a California loop that we've done versions of previously. This gives us a budget trip that is always fun and doesn't break the bank. For this version we're starting from our home in SoCal and heading up the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada.

Staying the 1st night in Bishop Ca and will then be doing a tremendous day hike from the Mosquito Flats trailhead. Along the trail you hike by a string of beautiful high alpine lakes. Since you're starting at 10,000 feet not a ton of elevation gain. At the end of the day there is a rustic restaurant/lodge, Toms Place, that does a good prime rib dinner.

That night we're stopping at Topaz lake where we haven't stopped before. May or may not be visiting Bodie Ca. which is a cool mining, ghost town in the area.

Next day we're heading to Lake Tahoe for 4 nights. We never tire of Tahoe and will be doing some hiking and beach time while there. On one day we'll do another great hike, the Shirley Lake trail out of Squaw Valley. It's a stout hike, but very beautiful and follows a river for much of the hike.

After Tahoe we'll be heading to the Gold country along Hwy 49. Staying in Columbia Ca. for this trip, but there are other interesting gold rush towns to stay in the area. If ever in this area, a fun outing is Murphys Cavern, which offers a cave tour that's worthwhile.

Then it's down to San Francisco for a couple of nights which was my hometown while younger. Staying with a high school buddy which saves a lot of $$$! Lots to do in in SF so no hard plans yet. FYI, if in SF a fun thing to do is a bike tour that starts off of Octavia street. This tour takes you up the "Wiggles" which is a way to get around portions of SF while minimizing hills.

Our last couple of days we'll be heading down Hwy 1 and will be stopping in Monterey and Cambria for overnight stays. Beautiful scenery along this route as well as good eating.

Then it's back to reality and work. Without a ton of travel this trip allows a lot of cool sights in a compact time period.

Anyone visit Crater Lake?
Absolutely. Crater Lake was fantastic. I stayed at the (somewhat pricey) lodge at the rim, so I would always have the view any time of the day, and make it easier for sunrise and sunset.

Attachments

• IMG_4059.jpg
    IMG_4059.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4194.jpg
    IMG_4194.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 12
Very limited season though. Snow comes early.

Right - we were there in mid-July and most of the trails were still closed because of snow! That wasn't new snow, but still left over from the previous winter

But it is a gorgeous place, for sure!

Anyone visit Crater Lake?
I was there last October. It was nothing like the pictures...overcast, raining and cold. Still, quite stunning views. I didn't realize at the time of this picture that there was lightning in it...lucky shot out of the car window.

Attachments

• IMG_20151017_105843345.jpg
    IMG_20151017_105843345.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 14
There's snow in Oregon in July?

What else is up there? Long drive from Bay Area. Guess Shasta is worth a stop. Maybe continue up all the way to Portland?

Staying the 1st night in Bishop Ca and will then be doing a tremendous day hike from the Mosquito Flats trailhead. Along the trail you hike by a string of beautiful high alpine lakes. Since you're starting at 10,000 feet not a ton of elevation gain. At the end of the day there is a rustic restaurant/lodge, Toms Place, that does a good prime rib dinner.

That night we're stopping at Topaz lake where we haven't stopped before. May or may not be visiting Bodie Ca. which is a cool mining, ghost town in the area.
Sounds like fun. In later August we are headed up that way and staying in Mammoth Lakes. I think we have done the Mosquito Flats hike. As I recall there was a small lake with a "turkey" or "chicken" name in it.

Trails we have liked in that region:
1) Several short hikes in Mammoth Lakes area
2) Trails around Tioga Pass and eastern Yosemite including Toulumne Meadows region
3) Saddlebags Lake just outside Yosemite

Saddlebags Lake region is pretty spectacular. You drive in a few miles on a decent road with some gravel. You take a boat across the lake (to avoid walking 2 miles around it) and then there are several small lakes around there above 10,000 feet. Not much elevation gain either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom