Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Going to Panama in March.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Going to Panama in March.
What are you going to do there?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #223
Give me a forum ...

The same as a traveler does at any other place I guess.

What does a "travelover" do anywhere?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #224

I'm starting to plan a trip to Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand area for next year.
But, currently, trying to decide when to just visit Sedona an hour and a half away..ha!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #225

It is a cruise, and we really have not made any plans for the excursions. Let me know if you have any good ideas.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #226
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
We are staying at the Agape Cottages at Cane Garden Bay. We have been to Tortola several times but never stayed on the island. Any recommendations for things to do on the island would be appreciated.
I'd drive the Ridge Road from one end to the other and stop and see the sites along the way. Sage Mountain Park is the highest point in the BVI and has some good hiking trails with killer views of the surrounding islands. Mt. Healthy is another park off the Ridge Road. O'Neal Botanical Gardens in Road Town is a nice place to visit on about 3 or 4 acres in the center of town. If you like snorkeling, I would pack a lunch and some drinks and then rent a boat to go snorkeling at the Indians. It is out in the Sir Francis Drake Passage but easy to get to in a runabout. Awesome snorkeling. Also, take the ferry over to Virgin Gorda and explore the Baths and enjoy the beach there. If you like to party and are there on a full moon then make sure you go to the Bomba Shack. Supposd to be a heck of a party but we've not been there on the full moon. Have a great trip!

P.S. If you scuba dive don't miss the Wreck of the Rhone, one of my favorite dives.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The same as a traveler does at any other place I guess.

What does a "travelover" do anywhere?
For some people, travel means sitting on the beach sipping a cold drink. Others are tromping through the woods with binoculars and swatting mosquitoes while looking for their 197th bird species. Others are volunteering at an orphanage.

In a place like Panama, I guess I can see many possibilities.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #228
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is a cruise, and we really have not made any plans for the excursions. Let me know if you have any good ideas.
We went to Panama on a cruise last year and took a tour with " My friend Mario " . They were highly rated on Cruise critic . Great tour to the canal , walking the rain forest and a historic fort . They were better and less expensive than the cruise tours.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm starting to plan a trip to Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand area for next year.
But, currently, trying to decide when to just visit Sedona an hour and a half away..ha!
I strongly recommend you fit in a trip to Angkor Wat and around (Siem Reap, Cambodia). Of all the places I've been, this is easily tops on my list to re-visit:

The Angkor area contains many intricate temples and other sites, and takes a minimum of 3 days to see. We stayed at Two Dragons hostel, which was clean and inexpensive (and the food was delicious!). The Tales of Asia website in the hostel link also contains a lot of good info about traveling in SE Asia.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #230

In 1972 I saw Angkor at least once a week, however I never got to see it from the ground. Got shot at a few times from there, but it was one of the places that was strictly off limits to shoot back so we always viewed from a distance.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #231
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In 1972 I saw Angkor at least once a week, however I never got to see it from the ground. Got shot at a few times from there, but it was one of the places that was strictly off limits to shoot back so we always viewed from a distance.
While you were viewing Angkor out of your windscreen in 72, this was the view out of mine. Shooting back was also a no-no...but since we were unarmed and scared sh!tless unafraid it wasn't really a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dmz1.jpg (63.1 KB, 9 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
While you were viewing Angkor out of your windscreen in 72, this was the view out of mine. Shooting back was also a no-no...but since we were unarmed and scared sh!tless unafraid it wasn't really a problem.
So, what is a propaganda village?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #233
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
So, what is a propaganda village?
This is how Wikipedia describes it:

Quote:
The official position of the North Korean government is that the village contains a 200-family collective farm, serviced by a childcare center, kindergarten, primary and secondary schools, and a hospital.[10] However, observation from the South suggests that the town is actually an uninhabited Potemkin village built at great expense in the 1950s in a propaganda effort to encourage South Korean defection and to house the PRK soldiers manning the extensive network of artillery positions, fortifications and underground marshalling bunkers that abut the border zone.[3][4][11][12] Though no visitors are allowed, it is the only settlement in North Korea within direct eye- and earshot of the Korean DMZ.

The village features a number of brightly painted, poured-concrete multi-story buildings and apartments, many apparently wired for electricity – these amenities represent an unheard-of level of luxury for any rural Korean in the 1950s, north or south. The town was oriented so that the bright blue roofs and white sides of the buildings next to the massive DPRK flag would be the most distinguishing features when viewed from across the border. Scrutiny with modern telescopic lenses, however, reveals that the buildings are mere concrete shells lacking window glass or even interior rooms,[11][13] with building lights turned on and off at set times and empty sidewalks swept by a skeleton crew of caretakers in an effort to preserve the illusion of activity.[14]

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #234

Yea, I have some time seeing that view also.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #235

Thanks, REW. And can I say that any opportunity to see the wonderfully descriptive term "Potemkin Village" is a good one!
I'd not heard of this and appreciate your illuminating post.
And your (and others) military service!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #236
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

It might be worth taking the ferry over to Port Aransas one day - good restaurants in town and you're likely to see dolphins crossing the ship channel.

Audrey
I am staying in Port Aransas. It is great for birding, walking, kayaking, and eating. Rae, if you see this, go to the tourist info center (bear left at the lights when you leave the ferry) and they will give you maps or directions to the birding hot spots. The birding center is the best.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #237

I'm going to Ecuador next month, the Amazon and then the Galapagos. I hope to see the elusive pink Amazonian dolphin and also frolic in the ocean with penguins and seals in the islands. I've been to the Galapagos once before on a 4 day cruise and it was much too short so this time for seven days. What a luxury!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I'm going to Ecuador next month, .........
I went to Ecuador in 2009 and really loved it, especially the Amazon. DW and I are going to Peru in July and are making a special effort to have much more time in the Amazon. Unless you fly, you burn up a lot of your tour's time just getting anywhere in the motorized canoes.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I went to Ecuador in 2009 and really loved it, especially the Amazon. DW and I are going to Peru in July and are making a special effort to have much more time in the Amazon. Unless you fly, you burn up a lot of your tour's time just getting anywhere in the motorized canoes.
Peru is BEAUTIFUL!!! Are you going to the ruins?

I am looking forward to the canoe trip up the river. Only 2 hrs. Getting there is half the fun.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Peru is BEAUTIFUL!!! Are you going to the ruins?

I am looking forward to the canoe trip up the river. Only 2 hrs. Getting there is half the fun.
I was to Machu Picchu in 1998 on a much too hectic tour. We are planning on spending a week in Cusco / Sacred Valley / MP this time.

Two hours isn't bad for a canoe ride. In Manu you can rack up much longer rides, which gets old.