Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #2561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Saw this, circa 1962, driving south from Kununurra, West Australia, (hadn't seen another vehicle for days), "WTF?" was our immediate reaction....(the cigar pipe was there then), seems nothing changed in the intervening 42 years until this article was published.

Renner Springs - Northern Territory - Australia - Travel - smh.com.au

Quote:
Churchill's Head Rock
There are two places of interest to the south of the town. 'Churchill's Head Rock' on the old Stuart Highway 78 km south of Renner Springs may well rate as the most crass tourist attraction anywhere in Australia. A rock on the east of the old highway looks vaguely like a profile of Winston Churchill. In order to make the image more persuasive someone has stuck a piece of piping where the mouth should be so that the profile appears to be smoking a rather large cigar - it is hardly a natural phenomenon.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #2562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Building an itinerary for a Colorado trip late July into early August. Colorado Springs for 4 nights planned with forays to Pike Peak, Cripple Creek, and Royal Gorge planned. After that 4 nights in Keystone. Intend to venture the back routes to Alpine Tunnel Historic Site, I've been there before a few times. My brother has been volunteering to work there for several years to assist in rebuilding some of the historically significant railroad features, interesting place, that I find is is more scenic than challenging to navigate to even for a flatlander like me - as long as I don't meet any traffic while on the Palisades. Any other place of interest, events in early August to catch while we're there? Oh, and I'm thinking a stop in Alliance, Nebraska to see "Carhenge" is in order.

One of my all-time favorite tourist trap come-ons was at Buckskin Joe's near the gorge: "Gunfights and hangings daily."
Old 01-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #2563
Administrator

We're headed to Frankfurt this summer to attend a wedding. Made the air reservations this morning.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #2564

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Vienna, Austria is an upcoming trip. The details are filling themselves in. Probably will have spare day or two. Who's been?
Its been a long time but I've been. I would recommend restaurants and events but its been so long that its not even relevant. Last visited in 2000.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #2565

Just booked my return from Spain (to round-out the trans-atlantic cruise).

The interesting thing is that flying back one-way was TWICE as expensive than a round trip (with a 'stay in the US' of a few weeks). When I booked the return to Spain in October, the price of the round trip went up, but was still cheaper than the one-way. Oh, October is when the cruises go the other way.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #2566
Give me a forum ...

Oh, awesome! That is going to be a great trip, sengs!
Glad you were able to game the fares a bit--that is frustrating work, for sure. I've been working on a multi city for a quick college tour trip out west with my niece, and it has been driving me crazy for a couple of days!

Old 01-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #2567
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Its been a long time but I've been. I would recommend restaurants and events but its been so long that its not even relevant. Last visited in 2000.

In that year we traveled throughout Europe, but only viewed Austria from a resort near St. gallen. That was quite a trip.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #2568

Cancun with the SO this year. A nine day retreat in the hills of Malibu that I've been talked into later in the year.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #2569
Give me a forum ...

WE just booked a 10 day Alaskan cruise in August.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #2570

Just spent nearly a week in Anchorage. This was my fifth visit, but first time in winter. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm just odd enough that I have also enjoyed Reykjavik in January.

I experienced some small earthquakes when I lived in California back in the 80s, but we had one in Anchorage last week that was bigger than any I've ever been through. Pretty scary just before 2 in the morning, but AFAIK there was no serious damage and no injury to anyone. Many thanks to the careful architects and engineers in the construction industry!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #2571
Give me a forum ...

Leaving in two weeks for two months in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

First three weeks is planned. Rough plan for the remaining five weeks butwe will plan it on the fly a few days ahead at a time. Need to be at Hanoi airport on April 12.

Cannot wait for beach time on Ko Lanta, Thailand and wonderful night market food.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #2572

Leaving Friday for 8 day Caribbean cruise with 3 of my longtime friends. They were co-workers of mine. The 3 of them retired 12/31/2004 and I retired 6/2/2006. They are like sisters to me.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #2573

Leaving next week for 3 days on Puerto Rico and then a week cruise to 5 eastern islands.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #2574
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got back from a 9 night sail on the Rocio del Mar liveaboard dive boat to Socorro. Diving with giant mantas, dolphins and numerous types of sharks was incredible. Also saw numerous humpback whales but, unfortunately, were not able to dive or snorkel with them. Excellent trip!
Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #2575
Give me a forum ...

DH sent me an e-mail from Icelandair about a "flash sale" yesterday. We were pretty sure we wanted to go again this year because we enjoyed it so much last year. As usual, it's hard to find bargains in Business Class, but it was $100 per person less than last year, probably due to the strong $. So I booked us for August!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #2576
Full time employment: Posting here.

Didn't start thinking about a spring trip until late Jan, so this one will be far less defined than usual. That should be good for me.

RT to Amsterdam. Next day to Granada for The Alhambra. After that it's the rest of six weeks wandering back to Amsterdam. Only definite stops are Seville, Madrid, Segovia, and Stuttgart for the Porsche and Mercedes Benz museums.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #2577

First vacay at the new job. Headed right back to Mexico! Seven glorious days on the shores of Lake Chapala, staying with friends. 2nd week in April.

Also, round trip for 2 was under $500 on Volaris!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #2578

Going to be spending two weeks in the Saint Simons Island/Brunswick area of Georgia.
Any hints on things to do from locals ? We like local foods, local hooch and history related sights..
Old 02-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #2579
Give me a forum ...

Looking at flying to Zagreb in late August/September and working our way down the Croatian coast. We want to go to through Albania and end up on Corfu. Has anyone travelled from Croatia/Montenegro though Albania to Corfu? Thanks
Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #2580
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Looking at flying to Zagreb in late August/September and working our way down the Croatian coast. We want to go to through Albania and end up on Corfu. Has anyone travelled from Croatia/Montenegro though Albania to Corfu? Thanks
Sounds like a great trip; stop in at Plitviče Lakes National Park on the way (it's about 130km from Zagreb) https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...Ru1g6_tG9CJn0=

(Have been to Croatia/Montenegro & Corfu, but not on the same trip(s), and have never been through Albania.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread