Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah a lot of businesses may think they could raise prices and tourists wouldn't notice.

But if they have local clientele, of course it would affect them.

Yes, we were in London last week and I was amazed to get $1.20 to the pound. Bought more than needed so I'd have starter cash for the next trip.

Incidentally, funny story.
DW wanted to go to High Tea at Fortnum & Mason, something I would equate with two hours in a torture chamber. But we went and I was amused to find that F&M are quite able to deal with the "husband problem." They had a nice IPA on the menu that eased my discomfort nicely. The scones were fantastic, too!

Scones and IPA, not a combo you see too often. :confused:

Looking forward to our return trip to PV Nov 15. We are already too late for the Halloween (Day of The Dead) and Election parties but will be there for Thanksgiving.

So I think it was Nemo that posted a great discount site for cruises and we have been exploring it. Then RC sent me an email about the Dec cruises they want to fill and we got a 8 day cruise to Mexico (2 ports) Belize, and Honduras for $278.00 each as long as we can sail in early Dec. It was better then the cheap cruise site. We can leave right now on short notice although DH has some interviews coming up for a project that will last 2 years so that all may change soon.

Teacher Terry: The best cruise bargains are really short term--when the ships are trying to sell completely out.

Those living in South Florida often get sick of cruising--they've taken care of so many bargains.

Headed for Big Island of Hawaii in November since the spouse is now through in the garden for this year. We like the shoulder season between the summer families and those snow birds that look just as old as we do. The return flight from there, late on Thanksgiving Day, was cheap.

We are planning on a February visit to Death Valley National Park, California. The reviews seem to favor Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel. It is maybe a 0.5 to 1 hour drive to some of the day hikes in the National Park. There are also some closer hikes from the hotel. We plan on staying 4 nights.

Haven't yet scoped out the day hikes we might take. Should be some wildflowers there in early spring and the temperatures are likely to be nice with average highs of 73F.

We'll couple this with a visit to the Getty Center north of LA. Staying in Santa Clarita for that.

Just letting everyone know that in 2017, to celebrate Canada's 150th year, ALL National Parks are free admission for the ENTIRE year.

This is a fantastic deal, and the Canadian Dollar is worth ~25% less, so you get a bonus savings on the exchange rate for things that aren't free :D

Parks Canada - Plan your visit - 2017 free admission

Just letting everyone know that in 2017, to celebrate Canada's 150th year, ALL National Parks are free admission for the ENTIRE year.

This is a fantastic deal, and the Canadian Dollar is worth ~25% less, so you get a bonus savings on the exchange rate for things that aren't free :D

Good information. We spent a lot of time last year in Canada's National Parks.

We set sail on the QM2 to NYC on Saturday.

I hope this doesn't bring much larger crowds to the parks. We have a trip already planned and even have a few reservations lined up. Hopefully the day hike trails will not be jammed. Going to be in Banff, Jasper, and Waterton in late July.

I did not say it but was thinking of the summer of 2017. I would imagine there would be a lag affect as advertising and tourists' plans take time to develop. Just a theory.

We were thinking about starting a trip next year in Amsterdam. Could perhaps add a bit of the UK to that. We would probably go in September to get decent weather and hopefully avoid peak summer crowds.
Just got a email from Savona Hotel Chain in London area advertising 40 % off! Going back in March, no tax season in 2017

Yes, we live in Canmore so get a yearly pass to the parks. When I bought it a few months ago was surprised I got an extra year for free. Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper were very busy this past summer and next year should even be busier. For a less congested but equally beautiful experience try Canmore.

How much are the passes to Banff and Jasper normally.

DW & myself + a friend are heading to Maui over Thanksgiving; staying in Kaanapali. Expecting to have a great time. 🌴🌴🏌🍸🏖

Thanks.

I was looking at getting to Lake Moraine but IIRC, there are some lodgings within the park?

So if you stay at these lodgings, would you normally avoid the park fees?

Thanks.

I was looking at getting to Lake Moraine but IIRC, there are some lodgings within the park?

So if you stay at these lodgings, would you normally avoid the park fees?

If I recall, you normally pay park entrance fees even with in park lodging. But it has been a looooong time. Lodging availability will be the constraint and the more expensive part as well.

I'm going to Glacier NP on a Road Scholar trip in August. :dance:

Jealous! DH and I think RS trips are wonderful and we have not been on one in a couple years. Hope you report back on your trip.

It hasn't been a good summer. DH and I had planned to go to Iceland last August but around April my mother's breast cancer recurred and in July we learned that DH's polycythemia had turned into acute myeloid leukemia. We ended up cancelling the trip, which was just as well- by the travel date, DH was not responding to treatment, had a severely depressed immune system and was too weak to enjoy it anyway. We'd paid for airfare and airbnb and reserved flights in and out of Boston (flight to Iceland is from there) with miles and hotel night sin Boston with points. We got all but about $350 back from everything.

Mom died October 4- she lasted long than the doctors expected. DH is practically bed-ridden and getting hospice care and both of us hope he doesn't last much longer.

So- last night I booked this trip for mid-April.

https://www.uncruise.com/destinatio...es/uncharted-isthmus-sloths-monkeys-mangroves

Magically, the cost is about what we got back in refunds from the cancelled Iceland trip. We've taken this line before, on 2 cruises in Alaska, and we love it. Small ships, very focused on nature, chartered in US.

I needed some light at the end of the tunnel. DH, bless him, thinks it's a great idea.

Son decided he wanted to do a weekend "military simulation" event east of LA for his 21st birthday. I wasn't quite confident he could manage the connecting flights, renting a car and driving across LA so given I am retired, decided to be his backup in case any issues came up (none did). While he was getting shot with airsoft guns, I flew up to the bay area and tailgated with old friends at a college football game then flew back. Would have preferred a more leasurely trip but we both had a good time and nice to know he could do it on his own next time.

It hasn't been a good summer. DH and I had planned to go to Iceland last August but around April my mother's breast cancer recurred and in July we learned that DH's polycythemia had turned into acute myeloid leukemia.

Wow, it surely hasn't. Thinking of you during such a difficult time. :(:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom