Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't laugh too hard - but I spent a week in Tuzla, Bosnia working with an NGO and as a courtesy trip made spent three nights in Budapest. The weather was very cold and I was quite tired and remember being propositioned by a couple of young ladies in Central Square. I fell for the bait and drinks for the three ladies ended up costing me almost two hundred dollars.

Actually, I was quite fortunate that it only cost me $200 as they were drinking pretty pricey stuff and I stopped the tab - very early in the process. So, I do not have a good memory of Budapest. ...

This reminds me of a trip I made to Budapest a few years ago with a buddy ( DW won't get on an airplane!). All the travel books and sites warned about these 'convenience girls' - not prostitutes, but they run this drink scam on you. They all said to be wary of attractive young women who lead you to a place for $$$$$ drinks, and you won't get out w/o paying!

We weren't there during the main tourist season, so figured there would be less of this, and we really didn't see it going on, so didn't think much about it.

Well, one night we are walking out of a concert hall, and two young ladies stop us and ask some question, they were from Romania, and a little conversation ensued, I like talking with people from different places, that's part of the travel experience. These girls were very plainly dressed, and just barely average in looks and this was all totally innocent. Well, as we talk about the music there, they mention they know a great club for jazz, so why not, we join them. So pretty soon we have menus in our hands for drinks, and no prices on the menu - so the red flag goes off for me, my buddy still hasn't figured it out. So I ask about the prices, and sure enough it was something outrageous (drinks were generally very cheap there). We just got up and said good night to our new 'friends', and laughed about almost getting scammed by less-than-attractive young women! :)

-ERD50

This reminds me of a trip I made to Budapest a few years ago with a buddy ( DW won't get on an airplane!). All the travel books and sites warned about these 'convenience girls' - not prostitutes, but they run this drink scam on you. They all said to be wary of attractive young women who lead you to a place for $$$$$ drinks, and you won't get out w/o paying!

We weren't there during the main tourist season, so figured there would be less of this, and we really didn't see it going on, so didn't think much about it.

Well, one night we are walking out of a concert hall, and two young ladies stop us and ask some question, they were from Romania, and a little conversation ensued, I like talking with people from different places, that's part of the travel experience. These girls were very plainly dressed, and just barely average in looks and this was all totally innocent. Well, as we talk about the music there, they mention they know a great club for jazz, so why not, we join them. So pretty soon we have menus in our hands for drinks, and no prices on the menu - so the red flag goes off for me, my buddy still hasn't figured it out. So I ask about the prices, and sure enough it was something outrageous (drinks were generally very cheap there). We just got up and said good night to our new 'friends', and laughed about almost getting scammed by less-than-attractive young women! :)

-ERD50

:) I love it! Same scenario!

I wasn't married at the time and loved meeting new people and discussing experiences.

We probably were "picked up" right near the hotel. I remember staying at the Hotel Opera which was next to the Opera House and just drifted aimlessly - as I was so glad to get out of Bosnia that week.

You know, I was so "ticked (at myself) for letting my guard down - that I inadvertantly through a glass in that restaurant/bar in disgust. The barkeeper didn't seem to mind but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Budapest.

Now, I've worked in 150 + cities and 50 countries during the period of 1992 - 2001 and that was the only time that I ever let my guard down. It was actually my last (or next to last) trip with the non for profit that I was working with.

Oh, I never have been to Poland.

Michael

We leave tomorrow for nine weeks. Uruguay,Buenos Aires, cruise, Chile, Panama, Costa Rica, and home when hopefully the snow is going.

Already thinking about a fall trip to Greece or Croatia with a stop (UK is attractive because of the GBP) along the way.

Might try a transatlantic home but I strongly suspect prices will not be as attractive as in prior years. My understanding is that there are fewer ships in in Europe this year and US tourism to Europe is projected to be very high.

You have the best trips! Not a cruise but we are going to Europe a few times this year, first time to Great Britain, Portugal and Spain, and also to Germany. Just locked in the Great Britain trip for late spring, so we will contribute to the high US tourism rate. Fingers crossed the dollar remains strong.

You have the best trips! Not a cruise but we are going to Europe a few times this year, first time to Great Britain, Portugal and Spain, and also to Germany. Just locked in the Great Britain trip for late spring, so we will contribute to the high US tourism rate. Fingers crossed the dollar remains strong.

Croatia is one of my favorite countries. I really enjoyed my time in Zagreb and Dubrovnik back in the late 1990's. Dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Enjoy,

Michael

You are going to the UK at a wonderful time....weather wise and currency wise.

I suspect that it will be very crowded in July and August. If we go it will be in mid/late September. Not a great time to go to Scotland that this is on my bucket list.

We want to go to Zagreb since we have never been. If we go, we will then make our way down the coast on the local Jardralinja (sp) ferries stopping here and there for a few days. We would very much like move on to Albania and Corfu however this seems like a very convoluted process.

Last edited:
You are going to the UK at a wonderful time....weather wise and currency wise.

I suspect that it will be very crowded in July and August. If we go it will be in mid/late September. Not a great time to go to Scotland that this is on my bucket list.

We went to the UK in May 2013. It was very cold and occasional sleet too. DW had to buy a really warm coat and got a bargain in the lake district because it was "out of season". DW has a health issue that makes her more wary of cold weather. That is probably why I am over emphasizing it.

We ran into one couple around Lake Buttermere and the guy said the last 4 years had been like that. That taught me a lesson, when looking at the past weather data be careful to look at the lowest high as in this site's excellent data: https://weatherspark.com/averages/28753/Edinburgh-Scotland-United-Kingdom

One of the reasons we did it in May was because I'd read about the midges in Scotland in August-September. Also we wanted to go to Edinburgh and they have that music festival which brings in massive crowds in August.

Are the midges a problem in September?

Not that I am aware of. Scotland is on my list and I do very much want to go.

But, last time we spent three rainy weeks in Scotland. One decent day in Inverness. Could not even see that water or the sky in Oban. Our relatives in Perth said it was unusual but I am not so sure.

Croatia is one of my favorite countries. I really enjoyed my time in Zagreb and Dubrovnik back in the late 1990's. Dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Enjoy,

Michael

Going to Croatia in May for a 19 day tour.

Not that I am aware of. Scotland is on my list and I do very much want to go.

But, last time we spent three rainy weeks in Scotland. One decent day in Inverness. Could not even see that water or the sky in Oban. Our relatives in Perth said it was unusual but I am not so sure.

We'll definitely be packing for bad weather.

Yes, I will be spending most of a day in that area. Thanks!

Just hike to the top, or they have/had a shuttle, (it's 30 years since I was there), and walk down and enjoy the multitude of falls....quite lovely.

Very close to Plitvice and also worth a quick visit:

2vuejbm.jpg

Booked Brilliance of the Seas this a.m.
I know you guys don't put cuisine on the very top of your list, and aren't big dining room folks, but let me say, Brilliance was so much better than Horizon with food. I thought Horizon fell-down hard in the dining room and was just so-so on the buffets. The buffets on Brilliance were much better and dining room, a whole 'nuther world in terms of quality of food and service. So bring a shirt with a collar and go down there once or twice!

I know you guys don't put cuisine on the very top of your list, and aren't big dining room folks, but let me say, Brilliance was so much better than Horizon with food. I thought Horizon fell-down hard in the dining room and was just so-so on the buffets. The buffets on Brilliance were much better and dining room, a whole 'nuther world in terms of quality of food and service. So bring a shirt with a collar and go down there once or twice!

Now, you know very well that we're simply incorrigible vulgar plebeians, without palates, and lacking an ounce of discernment between us. ;)

(We've sailed on Horizon three times, partly because of the cost, but mainly because as a slightly older ship it's somewhat reminiscent of another seafaring era); I imagine though, that being sister ships, Brilliance is comparable to Rhapsody, a vessel that we thoroughly enjoyed, and whose buffet was indeed superior to Horizon's.........and I do possess shirts with collars...so perhaps......

Where are you off to next?

I hope your tour includes some of the islands. That is where the really old stuff was built.

Yes, islands feature prominently. We will cover a lot of ground.

You would probably enjoy the one we did a couple of years ago; it was an incredibly memorable experience. Plenty of kayaks on board to get up close and personal with nature. These Lindblad/National Geographic cruises (small ships) are one of the best ways to go anywhere, IMHO.

Exploring Alaska's Coastal Wilderness

I'm going on this same Alaska small ship cruise in late spring. I'll be spending an extra day in Sitka and a few more days in Juneau. Can't wait! :dance:

I'm going on this same Alaska small ship cruise in late spring. I'll be spending an extra day in Sitka and a few more days in Juneau. Can't wait! :dance:

That's what we did -- got into Sitka a couple of days ahead of boarding so we could spend time exploring. Absolutely loved Sitka! Would have been happy to spend another day there, and may go back. We also did the Denali extension, which was pretty amazing too.

Attachments

• DSC_0808.jpg
    DSC_0808.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 17
Last night my Aunt Mary Beth (ex-wife of Mom's youngest brother so she's only 5 years older than I am) e-mailed me and mentioned that she was booking a trip to India and Kathmandu in March, 2018 with Overseas Adventure Travel. I've been to India multiple times on business and have always wanted to return but didn't feel it was a good destination for a solo traveler. The price was right. I put down a deposit. And some of DH's ashes will go into the Ganges, which would not have excited him, but I like the idea.

Blame it on my wicked Aunt Mary Beth. She lives about 800 miles away but somehow she twisted my arm.:D

Last night my Aunt Mary Beth (ex-wife of Mom's youngest brother so she's only 5 years older than I am) e-mailed me and mentioned that she was booking a trip to India and Kathmandu in March, 2018 with Overseas Adventure Travel. I've been to India multiple times on business and have always wanted to return but didn't feel it was a good destination for a solo traveler. The price was right. I put down a deposit. And some of DH's ashes will go into the Ganges, which would not have excited him, but I like the idea.

Blame it on my wicked Aunt Mary Beth. She lives about 800 miles away but somehow she twisted my arm.:D

I would love that trip! Your aunt has quite a reach with that arm twist. And I'm getting a chuckle out of spreading a few ashes in places that would surprise the dearly departed.

We spent several days on the island of Korcula, Croatia. The family who owned the B&B where we stayed claimed to be direct descendent of Marco Polo.

If you go to Dubrovnic try to time your visit when there are no, or few cruise ships. It takes on an entirely differerent atmosphere off season and when there are no cruise ships. We rented cars and did day trips to Bosnia and then dough to Montenegro and Kotor. We want go do this again.

I have been to Krakow twice. It is one of my favorite cities. The Salt Mine Tour is really an experience. The miners carved statues, chapels, etc out of salt when they were not working. There is a town square that is surrounded with restaurants, shopping, church, etc. There are horse drawn carriages and people singing. If the weather is decent you can sit outside. They have umbrellas and heaters at the tables. Poland is also very cheap. They have their own currency.

We spent several days on the island of Korcula, Croatia. The family who owned the B&B where we stayed claimed to be direct descendent of Marco Polo.

If you go to Dubrovnic try to time your visit when there are no, or few cruise ships. It takes on an entirely differerent atmosphere off season and when there are no cruise ships. We rented cars and did day trips to Bosnia and then dough to Montenegro and Kotor. We want go do this again.

Thanks, brett. I am going on an organized tour so the itinerary has been decided and Korcula is included. I understand that a day trip to Bosnia/Montenegro/Kotor is also an option. We will be in Dubrovnik for 4 days in mid to late May. I Googled the cruise ship schedule, and found that only one of those days is a busy one for cruise ships, so that should work out well.

Does anyone have a favourite guide book on Croatia? Usually I just do my research on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom