Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Italy is our favourite place and have been there many time. In your first trip you should probably start with Rome for a few days then train or drive to Florence and Tuscany. Others might suggest Venice, lakes, or Amalfi but probably makes more sense to do those in a later trip.
Thanks, I will look into this; any special places (hotels) to stay at that you would recommend? We want to get the real feel for Itay since we may what to spend a lot more time there if we really like it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
Thanks, I will look into this; any special places (hotels) to stay at that you would recommend? We want to get the real feel for Itay since we may what to spend a lot more time there if we really like it.
Not sure what your budget is but to see the "real" Italy you might consider renting an apartment in a non touristy part of Rome for a few weeks. Also, if funds available a house(they call them Villas) in Tuscany is almost a cliche. To see non touristy parts of Italy also consider: Sicily, Puglia(esp Lecce), or Umbria. These are much less expensive and offer an authentic experience. As you will know travel is a very personal thing so advice such as I'm giving should only be taken with much more research. It really depends on what you like/can afford.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #263

Italy is maybe the most popular European destination for Americans -- may be more popular than Latin America even.

Plenty of resources, everyone typically starts with Rome.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #264

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We did the Med Cruise from Venice and after Croatia and Greece up the west side. One day in each of Naples /Amalfi/Popeii, Rome, Florence and then went back to Rome for a week then Lucca for a week, then Cinque Terra then Lake Como.

Finally went to Lucerne Switzerland, Strasborg France and Frankfurt. 26 days in all.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #265

We leave for England tomorrow. I just checked in on-line and for the first time had to pay for checked bags. We've flown international a lot in the last 3 years and have never needed more than 1 checked bag each.

This time however we had to pack for 7 months so 2 bags each are now checked in and it cost $50/bag, $100 total. Checking in on-line saved $5/bag. I was unable to get seats booked on the connecting flight at Amsterdam, which is only a 1 hour connection time. This means that we will almost certainly miss the connection (my past experience when they won't give you boarding passes for a connecting flight is that the flight is oversold).

At least we'll have plenty of time to visit the duty free.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #266
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We leave for England tomorrow.
Hope you have a great time!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #267

We have a cruise planned to Alaska for June. Going northbound from Vancouver to Seward, then spending 4 more nights doing our own land tour - going to Denali. So excited about this vacation - I think it is one we will remember for a long time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We leave for England tomorrow.
Safe travels!

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
We have a cruise planned to Alaska for June. Going northbound from Vancouver to Seward, then spending 4 more nights doing our own land tour - going to Denali. So excited about this vacation - I think it is one we will remember for a long time to come.
If it fits into the budget try to charter a flight along the Alaskan Range so you can get up close and personal with Denali. Did that with the family in 2006 and everybody still talks about it. Jaw dropping!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #269
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
If it fits into the budget try to charter a flight along the Alaskan Range so you can get up close and personal with Denali. Did that with the family in 2006 and everybody still talks about it. Jaw dropping!
You can take a helicopter ride from a place just outside the Denali park gate. It is expensive, but well worth it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #270

Quote:
Sounds absolutely fantastic.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #271

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You can take a helicopter ride from a place just outside the Denali park gate. It is expensive, but well worth it.
We have a helicopter glacier landing planned from Denali...in true LBYM style I am using a buy one get one coupon from the Alaska Toursaver book for this...still not cheap, but half price on this one is huge!

I'd love to also do a flight around Mt. McKinley from Talkeetna, but only so much time and money...but if the weather is perfect on the way up, we may just be motivated to splurge some more!

In addition to the above we have a Kenai Fjords sealife/glacier cruise booked out of Seward and a whale watching cruise booked out of Juneau. Only a few more months!

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #272
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Safe travels!

We are also cruising from Vancouver but in May . In true LBYM fashion you can now subscribe to the Entertainment book online for $4.95 for a month and get two for one coupons for the trolley tour , the aquarium and several restaurants .Plus if you are flying into Seattle there is a two for one coupon for the Quick Coach. Have a great time !
Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #273

Quote:
We have a helicopter glacier landing planned from Denali...in true LBYM style I am using a buy one get one coupon from the Alaska Toursaver book for this...still not cheap, but half price on this one is huge!

I'd love to also do a flight around Mt. McKinley from Talkeetna, but only so much time and money...but if the weather is perfect on the way up, we may just be motivated to splurge some more!

In addition to the above we have a Kenai Fjords sealife/glacier cruise booked out of Seward and a whale watching cruise booked out of Juneau. Only a few more months!
Nice snag on the coupon! We stayed two nights at the Kantishna Roadhouse inside the park and flew back out rather than take the bus ride again. Sadly, no coupon but it was still a great experience.

I would also recommend a visit to the Alaska SeaLife Center there in Seward. There's also the Exit Glacier just ten minutes outside of Seward where you can hike right up to the end of the glacier but that might be anti-climatic after your helicopter glacier visit.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We are also cruising from Vancouver but in May . In true LBYM fashion you can now subscribe to the Entertainment book online for $4.95 for a month and get two for one coupons for the trolley tour , the aquarium and several restaurants .Plus if you are flying into Seattle there is a two for one coupon for the Quick Coach. Have a great time !
That's a steal on the Entertainment book - will have to check it out, thanks! Best wishes for your cruise, too.

Quote:
Nice snag on the coupon! We stayed two nights at the Kantishna Roadhouse inside the park and flew back out rather than take the bus ride again. Sadly, no coupon but it was still a great experience.

I would also recommend a visit to the Alaska SeaLife Center there in Seward. There's also the Exit Glacier just ten minutes outside of Seward where you can hike right up to the end of the glacier but that might be anti-climatic after your helicopter glacier visit.
Oooh, Kantishna caught my eye...but it was beyond what I was willing to spend. Must have been an incredible experience. Regarding Seward - I was interested in both of the things you recommended...but not enough time to do it all. My friend did the SeaLife Center and also said it was fantastic.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #275

DS along with his family are going from NY down to the Breakers in Palm Beach from Thursday to Sunday. We will be joining him along with DD and her family for the weekend. Not often DW and I have all 3 grand kids in the same place at the same time. Should be a great time.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #276

Heading to Az soon to watch the White Sox in spring training
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #277

Going to Atlanta in April for a conference and to Central America in June for another medical mission.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #278
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Going to Atlanta in April for a conference and to Central America in June for another medical mission.
We'd love to hear more about your medical missions.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
We'd love to hear more about your medical missions.
I'll agree. Would like to hear more. Do you ever have a need for non-medical staff on these missions?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #280

This is my favorite travel guide. Pick a highway, any highway. The longer the better and drive from one end to the other.

U. S Highways: From US 1 to (US 830)