Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #2801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
This is actually a slower pace than we've done in the past. This year we're trying out month-long breaks (Dublin, Paris, maybe Sydney, NYC) in between active travel itineraries.
Yes an apartment in Paris and NYC would do fine as long as it is near the subway.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #2802
Full time employment: Posting here.

Life is such a juggling act.

We are finding our 'usual' schedule of six months of annual travel is being impacted by 1) the grandbaby, and our desire to be a regular part of her life, and 2) a newly formed backpacking club made up of high energy people we really, really enjoy hanging/hiking/backpacking with, but most of whom still work, meaning lots of frequent, short trips.

So, having just finished up a series of quick out-and-backs on behalf of both, are prepping for a dream trip - a six week river cruise through eight European countries. We begin in Amsterdam and finish in Romania. While onboard, need to determine how to conduct/continue conditioning for a series of events that begin just a few weeks after our return - a Sierra backpack and a 420 mile bicycle ride. The literature for the river boat indicates we need 'only' do 54 laps (!!!) on the top deck running track to achieve a mile.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #2803
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Yes an apartment in Paris and NYC would do fine as long as it is near the subway.
Yup, we plan around such things and know both cities well.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #2804
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
The literature for the river boat indicates we need 'only' do 54 laps (!!!) on the top deck running track to achieve a mile.
Wow, that doesn't sound tedious at all. On the other hand, if you're getting roaming views of Europe the entire time, maybe you won't even notice running in such a tight circle - assuming you don't get dizzy.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #2805

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
The literature for the river boat indicates we need 'only' do 54 laps (!!!) on the top deck running track to achieve a mile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Wow, that doesn't sound tedious at all. On the other hand, if you're getting roaming views of Europe the entire time, maybe you won't even notice running in such a tight circle - assuming you don't get dizzy.
LOL!

Actually, the worst 'tedious' training I've ever experienced was conducting marathon training while on a two week ocean cruise. I did a 15 mile training run on a treadmill, which translates into 2 1/2 hours of mind-numbing-ly boring treadmill running. I swore never, ever again.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #2806
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
On second thought, the most important thing we look for when renting an apartment for a month or more is its proximity to a decent grocery store.

We travel nearly non-stop so eating out at restaurants, finding three meals per day, every day, gets tiresome after awhile. One of the things we enjoy about getting an apartment is the ability to brew a cup of coffee in the morning without having to go look for one. And we also very much enjoy cooking our favorite meals which are at best hit or miss in restaurants, assuming we can find them at all.

So when you cook as much as we do and don't have a car sitting in the driveway, you're making near-daily trips to the grocery.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #2807
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Agree, we have yet to find an arrondissement that is not within 2 blocks of a tienda. Usually closer than the metro.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #2808
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone got any travel planned?

Just finally booked the first leg of my trip in London, even with the cheap exchange rate, it's expensive. I need to use British Airways credit card so I can milk out a free ticket for my kid next year. Also I was able to get a free trip from Delta Airlines sky miles for another kid, she has about a week to spend in London before she has to start her summer internship.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #2809
Give me a forum ...

We have had very good success with Priceline bidding in London-especially Kensington and Maide Vale.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #2810

Hilton Kensington was having a sale on Expedia but I read online review and the beds there are hard. I actually rented a 3 bedroom flat because there will be 5 of us at one point, not all the time. But the bedrooms are small. Only the kitchen is big. At least I don't have to eat out all the time.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #2811

We wrapped our trip to SE Asia (Taiwan/Philippines). Now I'm booking our trip to Europe this summer. About four weeks, visiting Crete, Istanbul, Rome and Paris. Istanbul is slightly tentative, depending on how we feel as the date gets closer. We'll also be visiting family for part of the trip. Less than four months away. Can't wait.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:04 AM   #2812

Will be traveling to Maryland this weekend to see our first grandchild born this week. The wife is super excited and can't wait.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #2813
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Will be traveling to Maryland this weekend to see our first grandchild born this week. The wife is super excited and can't wait.

What a great trip. Bet you are almost as excited as your DW. Congrats! One of our tiny grandchildren is head over heels for DH and the two of them together is something to behold.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #2814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
What a great trip. Bet you are almost as excited as your DW. Congrats! One of our tiny grandchildren is head over heels for DH and the two of them together is something to behold.

Thanks! Yes I am. My plan is to spoil her as she grows, until I'm no longer welcome to visit. We plan to make several more trips this year. Easy for me since I'm retired. A little harder for DW since she's still working. But, that will change after July when she retires too.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #2815
Give me a forum ...

Off to Hawaii - well, tomorrow. Overnight in San Francisco tonight.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #2816
Recycles dryer sheets

Princess Cruise 'Round the Horn"

Just booked Princess Cruise from Santiago, 'round the Horn to Rio in December. Now shopping for a pre-departure chance to get to Easter Island.
Any advice or recommendations?
Old 04-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #2817
Give me a forum ...

Just a little 3 day in Monterey (easy drive) end of the month.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #2818
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Off to Hawaii - well, tomorrow. Overnight in San Francisco tonight.
Hope you have a fun time. As I recall you'll be on Maui. Would like to hear what you found good (and not so). We'll be on Maui in early May.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #2819
Administrator

On Sunday we leave on a 21 day Princess repositioning cruise to England, leaving out of the Port of Houston.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #2820
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
On Sunday we leave on a 21 day Princess repositioning cruise to England, leaving out of the Port of Houston.
I vaguely remember that you've done several cruises Alan. What are your plans for the days at sea? What do you most (and least) like about cruises like this?
Closed Thread