Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #2901
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you mean the rug ate your travel budget for the next couple of years or that you are traveled out and taking a break?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Smile
Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #2902
Full time employment: Posting here.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My wife bought a big handmade rug for our dining room when we were in Turkey 2 weeks ago, and we won't be going anywhere for a couple of years.
Thank you for taking one for the team.

(Been to Turkey. Managed to escape unharmed, i.e
carpet free. :-)
Old 05-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #2903
Give me a forum ...

My Turkish rug was made in China. I also eat on China. Should I be hiding my wealth?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #2904
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Last night, I was considering a train trip -- SFO to CHICAGO or CHARLESTON by Amtrak. Flown over the country but only been to West Coast & New England, DC, Miami, New Orleans

Then Edinburg Scotland is still on my 2016 list
We did Denver to SFO (and back) on Amtrak a few year back and it was lots of fun! We got lucky and went on a summer weekend when there were interpretive guides on board (they were volunteers from the railroad museums in Co and Ca). It was interesting to hear about the railroad history and all sorts of other interesting info along the route. We took sandwiches and snacks - but be sure to enjoy at least one or two meals in the dining car too.

The Denver to Chicago trip is something I have had on the back burner for a long while and just not gotten around to doing yet. If I recall right, I think that you could break up the ticketing to get a layover somewhere along the route for up to a week. That might be something you might want to consider doing if you want to see someplace like Salt Lake City area or Denver area/Rocky Mountains. Glenwood Springs Co is fun too and is a stop on the Zephyrs route - though the train is pretty full between there and Denver with locals going on weekend trips.....

Just be prepared to be flexible in your travel plans as Amtrak always seems to run a bit late....
Question
Old 05-29-2016, 04:44 AM   #2905
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmmFIdreamer View Post
We did Denver to SFO (and back) on Amtrak a few year back and it was lots of fun! ..... Just be prepared to be flexible in your travel plans as Amtrak always seems to run a bit late....
One good thing about being FIRE'd is that timing isn't crucial

Just wondering :
  1. how much of the country were you able to see from the train
  2. are you able to get off for the day multiple times
  3. quality of sleeping / food
Old 05-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #2906
Give me a forum ...

The train trip across Russia to China on the trans Siberian railway (with many stops/interludes) is on my bucket list. Alas, not on DW's so I will have to either do it alone or find a complementary travel companion.

So for now, have to settle on driving from the west to Gaspe and the Maritimes in August and a who knows where trip to southern Europe for Sept/Oct from Toronto when and if we grab a good travel offer up until the time we drive start driving home.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #2907

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
The train trip across Russia to China on the trans Siberian railway (with many stops/interludes) is on my bucket list. Alas, not on DW's so I will have to either do it alone or find a complementary travel companion.

So for now, have to settle on driving from the west to Gaspe and the Maritimes in August and a who knows where trip to southern Europe for Sept/Oct from Toronto when and if we grab a good travel offer up until the time we drive start driving home.
I took the Trans Siberian from Moscow to Vladivostok. It was a fantastic trip
I would recommend a book by Bryn Thomas called "TranSiberian Handbook"
Old 05-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #2908
Give me a forum ...

Souschef...thanks very much. Just reserved it at our local library! I will give it a read.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #2909
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Finishing up the planning on this 11 day road trip. Fly Chi-Sea, Drive to LA, Fly back to Chi.
Ron, for my taste, you are covering too much ground in too little time. I would suggest trying to add in a visit to Crater Lake, which is just a bit off your route, or at least hitting Oregon Dunes which is on your route just south of Reedsburg.
Here's what you can see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 810.jpg (469.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 750.jpg (589.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #2910

I've got a one-way trip from Jakarta to SFO planned for next Tuesday! We're all packed up and living out of suitcases now, and we're getting the dog used to his crate for the day-long journey next week.

Repatriation Day!
Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #2911
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
One good thing about being FIRE'd is that timing isn't crucial

Just wondering :
  1. how much of the country were you able to see from the train
  2. are you able to get off for the day multiple times
  3. quality of sleeping / food
The scenic parts of the trip are during the daylight hours (mostly the mountains in Co and Ca....). As far as getting off, most of the stops are pretty short so only a quick stretch along the platform was possible. If you wanted to stop along the way, you would have to do an overnight as there is only one train a day in each direction. When we went they did some servicing in Salt Lake and stopped there for a couple of hours, but it was the middle of the night so nothing really exciting to see from the train platform.

The food was just okay, but it is fun to eat in the dining car and see how the service works. Unless there are 4 people in your party you end up sitting with others at your table, which can be part of the fun!

As far as sleep, we only got coach seats. I slept only a little sitting upright but DH and DS (still young) slept pretty good. The seats are wide and do recline a bit so they are not too bad. If you are going for more than one night I would actually recommend a sleeper (for a few more $), so that you can lie down flat and have some privacy. You can always walk around the train and sit in the observation car lounge, so that sleeper compartment is not claustrophobic....
Old 05-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #2912
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My wife bought a big handmade rug for our dining room when we were in Turkey 2 weeks ago, and we won't be going anywhere for a couple of years.
Reminded me of this:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #2913

I finished booking the last hotel for our trip to Europe this summer. This is probably our last major trip before our son heads off for college next year.

We'll be visiting Crete, Sicily, Rome, Czech, Paris and Reykjavik.

We'll be there in August, so it's going to be hot and in some places, busy, but I think we've got a good mix of less touristy places to visit, so hopefully it won't be too bad. And all of the hotels have AC.

Only six more weeks before we head out. Can't wait.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #2914

Cruise leaves on Sunday
Old 06-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #2915
Recycles dryer sheets

Family of 5. Montreal - Newark - Honolulu. Visiting Pearl Harbor for a day then to Kauai for 9 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #2916

Back home in Paradise after 20 days in S.A. Spent 3 nights in Quito Ecuador, nice but could have been happy with 2 nights. 9 nights on a small ship (La Pinta) cruising the Galapagos Islands, Saw all the critters snorkeled with penguins, and sea lions, that was kool. Went to Cosco Peru, 3 days in the Sacred Valley, nice ruins, more bird watching. Off to Machu Picchu for a couple of days, one day at the ruins, and an early morning hike to the Sun Gate. Back to Cosco for 2 days more ruins and churches. Fly to Lima toured some ruins in churches, and flew on home. Took all the same postcard photos as everyone else, have a bunch will share my favorites later.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #2917

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
Family of 5. Montreal - Newark - Honolulu. Visiting Pearl Harbor for a day then to Kauai for 9 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Make sure you check out:

1. The fish stand in the Coconut Marketplace, it looks like a ice cream stand. They do sell shaved ice. Anyhoo, the cooks' husbands catch fish in AM for the stand, then the hubbies go to work at the hotels and restaurants in town. Save lots of moolah!
2. The Korean restaurant in Ka'paa.
3. Get a schedule for some of the farmer's markets held in various parking lots throughout Kauai, Hawaii for that matter. Excellent food, fresh fruit and veggies.
4. Have a great time.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #2918
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Do you mean the rug ate your travel budget for the next couple of years or that you are traveled out and taking a break?
It wasn't the oriental rug that got me. When we got it in the dining room, our 20' x 35' living room looked naked.

It was the second rug that broke the camel's back.

Seriously, we've traveled enough in the last 3 years. During that time, we've not had time to enjoy our lake house and boat 18 miles away. We've also moved and still not got over the top unpacking all my tools and cabinet shop. And my wife's having mid foot arthritis and is quite miserable.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #2919
Give me a forum ...

I have been working out all the details and am still hard at it - see my tag line.
  • We are heading out late August, to spend a week in Amsterdam.
  • Then flying to Lyon for 3 nights
Then by train to:
  • Avignon for 6 nights - visit Nimes, Arles, Pont-du-Gard, Alpilles sites, Luberon sites
  • Nice for 6 nights - visit Antibes, Cap Ferat, Eze, Grasse, interior sites, St. Paul de Vence
  • Aix-en-Provence 2 nights - visit Cassis
  • Carcassonne 1 night
  • Barcelona 6 nights - mostly in city but will do at least one day trip out to Dali's home/museum.
  • Fly home from Barcelona.

We are using the towns in Provence and the Riviera as bases, and going out on day trips just about every day via train/bus or pre-booked minivan tour.

The transfer from Nice to Barcelona, we're breaking up an otherwise long train ride at some interesting spots.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #2920
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It wasn't the oriental rug that got me. When we got it in the dining room, our 20' x 35' living room looked naked.

It was the second rug that broke the camel's back.

Seriously, we've traveled enough in the last 3 years. During that time, we've not had time to enjoy our lake house and boat 18 miles away. We've also moved and still not got over the top unpacking all my tools and cabinet shop. And my wife's having mid foot arthritis and is quite miserable.
Yep - time to slow down a little bit. That last one is the clencher!