Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #281
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the link, Jake!

Its hard to beat traveling America's old highways.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #282
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for the link, Jake!

Its hard to beat traveling America's old highways.
+1. When the young wife and I retire in a few years, we're planning to take the "Great Big Road Trip", probably out along Rte 20 or down Rte 1 (or maybe both)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
DW and I are headed out on a 14 day cruise from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale via the Panama Canal on Friday. Hope that another tsunami doesn't crop up in the meantime...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #284
Give me a forum ...

I have a lot of frequent flyer miles and the latest rumour is that miles earned more than 7 years ago will expire in 2012. I am thinking of booking a cruise for Winter 2011 through Expedia cruise ship centres and paying for it with some of these miles. I loved Scott From Utah's photos of the Antarctic cruise. But first things first. I need to start my new j*b before I can ask for vacation!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #285
Dryer sheet aficionado

Mickeyd, We are going the opposite way in late April--- Miami to San Diego via the canal.
Have a good trip!
Joe
Old 03-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #286
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I are headed for Jamaica a week from tomorrow. Kind of bittersweet as my FIL lies in a hospital bed and will pass any day. He suffered a stroke a couple of weeks back in part of his brain that he would not recover from. Even if he did miraculously recover, he had advanced dementia and his quality of life was quickly becoming rather poor. DW and I traveled to Oregon so she could discuss the situation with the doctor and say goodbye about a week and a half ago. They weren't close, but it's still hard.

The trip was planned months ago so were going no matter what. Honestly, we both could use a break from the drama. 5 trips to Oregon since early December, put him in a home, got calls every other day about his worsening condition, then the stroke and the waiting for the inevitable. We made all the arrangements and will hold his service upon our return.

On the upside, we get to see the friends we made at the resort 4 years ago. We keep in touch on Facebook and such and even visited one couple when we went to South Carolina in October. Can't wait to see all of them! We could use a dose of sun, sand and rum. Hopefully we can relax and forget for a while, but we go every year so it is what it is.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #287

Leaving for Cozumel in the morning and I'm already finished packing. DW will probably faint when she gets home and sees that I'm ready to go already. Normally I don't zip up the last bag until about 1 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #288

Within the next two months: San Francisco, Colorado and New Zealand. Sadly, probably won't see much except the insides of office buildings, airports and planes.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #289
Give me a forum ...

We are going to the UK, Greece, and Italy next month. Our dollar is strong compared to historical rates of the GBP and Euro so now is a good time to go.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #290
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spending a long weekend at Zion National Park. Never been so really looking forward to it. We've rented a 'deluxe cabin' (whatever that is) so we'll be warm and dry in case the weather gets funky.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #291
Give me a forum ...

Lisa that is one of my dream destinations. I hope it is awesome!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #292

We're going this weekend so I'll let you know!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #293

I am heading to Auckland, New Zealand for the next 3+ weeks and really hoping to see more than the insides of office buildings while I'm there. This will be my first trip to that part of the world; I have heard good things.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #294
Recycles dryer sheets

My sister and I are currently in Beijing China and it's wonderful.We're here for 3 weeks. Cool to warn weather. Heading to Xian tomorrow. The only thing I am unable to access online is Facebook.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #295

Initially planned to go to Iceland end July/August but due to recent volcanic eruption have changed destination to Sicily/Milan. Will be joining a land tour in Sicily covering Catania/Giardini Naxos/Taormina/Cefalu/Palermo/Erice/Agregento/Ragusa/Syracuse. Thereafter, extending in Milan for a few days. I still haven't figured out what to do in Milan as I've been before and visited the usual tourist spots like Duomo, The Last Supper, Castello Sforzesco, etc. I'll be with 2 other friends in Milan and since it's their first trip to Milan, they have plenty planned but not sure I want to re-visit places I've been (although I don't mind climbing up the Duomo again but given it is summer this time, I may re-think this). Any suggestions of things to do in Milan (other than shopping)?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #296

Our big travel plans:

Next week: two nights in Tunica
August: Massachusetts for DH's 40th high school reunion
March 2012: San Antonio (Road Scholar trip)

nothing exotic, but something to look forward to.... Hopefully, exotic will come in 2012 after i retire.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #297
Give me a forum ...

Niagara Falls, Toronto, Pictured Rock National Lakeshore, Teddy Roosevelt National Park, Devils Tower, Black Hills, Badlands National Park, Denver, Colorado Springs, Great Sand Dunes National Park, Santa Fe, Albuquerque . . . probably some places in between, but then on to Belize and Guatemala for a couple of months over the winter.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #298

just registered for paris-brest-paris (1200km bicycle ride in 90 hours). fly into paris w/ DW and my parents, fly out of amsterdam. 20 total days. $123 & 110,000 FF miles for DW and my plane tickets, the life i thought was sucked out of me traveling to w*rk locations finally paid off.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #299

Going to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls in July...
Want to investigate an Alaskan cruise when we get back.

We are just beginning to feel the freedom of empty nesters as our youngest graduated in May and actually got a job offer last week that he accepted.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #300
Give me a forum ...

DW and I are going to Sante Fe for a few days in July. She has a conference and we plan to do some biking in the area. Then at the end of August we are going on a bike trip to Northern Italy with some friends. We fly into Venice for a few days and then ride in the Dolomite foothills/valleys north of Verona somewhere.