Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With ongoing concerns about the health of DW's parents we've cancelled the November repositioning cruise and have been credited for the deposit.

As to the future, 'Planned' is a tad ambitious, (only thought of it this morning, and I change direction on a whim), but we're looking at possibly flying into Bucharest, Romania, (taking an obligatory day trip to Bran Castle), and then, if/when the mood takes us, catching the train to Sofia, Bulgaria, thence to Plovdiv, and perhaps another train from there to Istanbul, (it's been 30 years since I was there, and DW has never been).

But hey, this time tomorrow perhaps I'll have the urge to revisit North Tonawanda.............:eek:

I'm thinking of Slovenia. Anything good or bad about it. There was an article in the wsj recently about Piran.

I'm thinking of Slovenia.

If, you go, perhaps spend a couple days in Trieste too......admittedly I haven't been there since 1963, but I did like it then.

After that long European road trip, I have nothing on my agenda. The next travel will most likely be an RV trip or a cruise.

Will the next trip be next year, or as early as in fall/winter this year? I don't know, and will see what impromptu thing happens.

Last edited:
I said the same thing last year and now I'm ready to go back. This is why I don't intend to see everything in one trip. Every other year is good enough.

Doing an East African Safari in September with the family. Have wanted to do this for a long time, hope it is spectacular!
Cheers!

Doing an East African Safari in September with the family. Have wanted to do this for a long time, hope it is spectacular!
Cheers!

Where to?

Just left St. Petersburg last night. What an amazing city! We did a two day tour that started at 7:15 each day and kept us going until 5:30 in the evening. It was worth it! Tour guides spoke perfect English almost without any accent. We saw all the highlights, beautiful palaces, gardens, cathedrals. I can see us coming back some day for a more personalized private tour. Weather was perfect except for one morning shower. Sweaters and light raincoat or umbrella is all you need...and your camera of course!
IMG_1510.JPG

We are booked on an Avalon river cruise Amsterdam to Budapest this Fall. We have several extra days planned for Amsterdam and would welcome hearing about any special places there other travelers here have found worthy. Also, hearing of any special food experiences, you found would be great too.
Thanks in advance

We are booked on an Avalon river cruise Amsterdam to Budapest this Fall. We have several extra days planned for Amsterdam and would welcome hearing about any special places there other travelers here have found worthy. Also, hearing of any special food experiences, you found would be great too.
Thanks in advance

I think you will love this cruise. I cruised on the Avalon Vista in 2014 (Budapest to Prague, with extra days at both ends) and found the service to be excellent. The panoramic suites were wonderful. Highlights on land (for me) included Budapest, Salzburg, Meltenburg Abbey, and Durnstein. Honestly, everywhere we went was really interesting. There was at least one included tour per stop. And when we overnighted at the dock in Vienna, we were treated to a superb concert by the conductor and a pianist from the Bratislava State Orchestra. The food on the ship was very good and wine and beer were included at dinner. I can't say much about food at ports of call, because I ate mostly on board, except for the beer and wurst at the old bridge in Regensburg! In Budapest we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel, right on the Danube, which is very comfortable and a great location for walking around Pest (the flat part of Budapest). I found Hungarian cuisine to be stodgy. Do visit the City Market, a riot of colour, and buy some paprika! Stroll along Vac Street, enjoy the buskers, and have a coffee and macaron at the famous Cafe Gerbeaud. I could go on......can you tell I loved Budapest?

Last edited:
Am at a resort in Boothbay, ME for a week. Nice break from the Texas heat. Whale watching cruise tomorrow, then watching a few of the Windjammer activities.

Thanks in advance

Budapest was wonderful, it was where we started our Viking cruise, there is a train that goes up the hill which is a great ride and view, and the walk down if easy and also fun. You can take the train up and down if needed, I forget the exact cost but 1 way might be 8 € and 2 way was 10 € . In Vienna, our included tour did not go inside the palace, so we took the subway ( 2 lines) which stops right outside the summer palace, we bought tickets for the 40 room tour for 20 € each and also visited the free gardens in back which are huge.
subway was 2.25 € each way good for transfers
Due to our large amount of time in Vienna, and all the things to do, it was one of our favorites.

Be sure to always have 0.50 € coins for using a washroom as nearly everywhere you have to pay to use them (I saw at least one that used turnstile instead of attendant)

Last edited:
DH and I will be leaving the USVI's next week, sadly, but we have thoroughly enjoyed our 3 months here. In August, we are going to British Columbia for about 10 days on a private yacht. Decided not to extend our trip to do any add-on activities. We haven't spent much time in BC so looking forward to cruising the BC waters.

I just booked for two business class tickets to Europe next year. I like the companion ticket from British Airways. Except I have not booked return flight yet because I want to come back later than what they have available.
I think I enjoy this credit card game. Time to get another card.

Budapest was wonderful, it was where we started our Viking cruise, there is a train that goes up the hill which is a great ride and view, and the walk down if easy and also fun. You can take the train up and down if needed, I forget the exact cost but 1 way might be 8 € and 2 way was 10 € .

In Budapest we purchased 24 hour travel cards, (latest price, according to their site is 1,650 HUF p.p. approx $6.10 US p.p.); this allowed us to ride the above mentioned cog railway, the oldest & newest subways, a ferry up the Danube and aimless streetcar trips, (the latter done the following morning), all within the 24 hour deadline.

Types and prices | Budapesti Közlekedési Központ

Headed for Italy and Switzerland on the 18th of July (back Aug 9). Then to Grand Teton / Yellowstone end of September (2 weeks)

Last edited:
Off to south Germany/Austria/Switz next month for 20 days.

Off to south Germany/Austria/Switz next month for 20 days.

Awesome, I'm going next month, in and out of Munich but most of the time spent in Austria -- Tyrol, Innsbruck, Salzkammergut.

Awesome, I'm going next month, in and out of Munich but most of the time spent in Austria -- Tyrol, Innsbruck, Salzkammergut.

Ha - maybe we'll bump into each other! We are flying into Milan for a few days and then will spend a good amount of time in the Switzerland/Austria/Italy corner (my sister lives there - she lives in Switzerland, but less than 100 miles from Innsbruck).

I go end of August, into first week of Sept.

Supposedly the driest time of the year in western Austria.

Will see.

We will be in Munich and Austria too in the first few weeks of September. Sounds like the ER crowd will be well represented.

All of you (above) guys heading for Munich, Bavaria and the Austrian Alps are going to have a great time. The English Gardens are special in Summer. After going to college in Innsbruck in 1970, I'm still in love with that region. I'm very envious.

On our last Austrian trip, we took a rental car to Zell-am-See and over the 2nd largest mountains in Europe on the Grossglockner High Alpine Highway. It's absolutely the most beautiful place I've ever seen--especially the south side of the mountains north of Lienz, Austria.

We've been to Italy 3x in the last 2 years, and we recently got back from Budapest. I'm wanting to go back to The Alps, however my wife wants to visit Ireland and Scotland--a summer destination.

We will be in Munich and Austria too in the first few weeks of September. Sounds like the ER crowd will be well represented.

Our 2014 trip started in September. Munich was quite cool the first of September, and the trees were starting to turn. But Salzburg the next week was quite warm and sunny. Vienna even warmer mid Sept.

Wild mushrooms are in season.

That's funny -- we will also be in Munich in early September. When strolling across the Marienplatz, just look for people with a big grin and an especially relaxed attitude to recognize your fellow forum-ites. :cool:

We're headed to the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC on Aug 19th. We have tickets to see Tony Bennett at their outdoor venue. Hopefully the mountains will be a bit cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom