Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny -- we will also be in Munich in early September. When strolling across the Marienplatz, just look for people with a big grin and an especially relaxed attitude to recognize your fellow forum-ites. :cool:
In Munich:

Don't miss the Nymphenburg. Particularly the grounds and the small palaces. The carriage museum inside is also popular but we were too wiped out to see everything (I was still recovering from a stomach flu). A reasonably short bus ride from the central station.

I've been to Munich probably 20 times, so I know it pretty well. One of my favorite cities in the world.

Just got home from a road trip to Hot Springs (lake Ouachita cabin) and northern AL (family). The drive was nice. Been a while since we took a road trip...10-11 hours each way.

Headed to Argentina on Saturday for a week. I guess it doesn't count since it's for w*rk.

Just got back from Berlin and Prague - had a terrific time.

The food was excellent and reasonably priced in both Berlin and Prague. We picked out highly ranked restaurants in Yelp and didn't hit a clunker.

In Berlin some of the restaurants wanted to be paid in cash, which is fine, but you have to plan ahead. In Prague, they all handled credit cards. The terminals were all NFC enabled, so we paid with Apple Pay - safer and quicker (no PINs or signatures).

In both places we took lunch river cruises. I liked Berlin better - the Spree River goes through the heart of Berlin and you see a lot. Prague is much more compact and Vltava river was nice, but didn't really add much.

We got transit passed both places. It's necessary in Berlin - it's such a big city. In Prague isn't wasn't really necessary - old Prague is small, but we took the tram a couple of times. In both places it was easy. Apple Maps has transit info in both places, so we would just tell it to route us via transit and it would tell us, say, to walk over the U-Bahn station by the hotel and meet the train in 5 minutes and detailed the various transfers. My watch got my attention by tapped me on the wrist when approaching a station where we were getting off. So easy.

The train from Berlin to Prague was fun. We booked our seats the day before at the Hauptbahnhof. Traveling along the Elbe was beautiful.

One aside. While standing in line for the Pergamon Museum we chatted with a British couple. Turned out they were also going to Prague the next day: "Um, on the 11:30 train?" Yes, it turns out. So we saw them on the train the next day.

Planning Hawaii Trip - Best dates/Islands

I'm looking to do a Hawaii trip and was wondering what was the best time of year to go and which islands to visit. Any help from veteran travelers are appreciated!

Jack

I'm headed to Iceland next month and just booked a day trip from there to Greenland. One more country to add to my list!

I'm headed to Iceland next month and just booked a day trip from there to Greenland. One more country to add to my list!

We will eagerly await the trip report!

Heading like many others here for Europe this week, tooling around with friends for a week in northern Bavaria in Germany and a few more days in Switzerland. We booked Swiss economy but bid on a business class upgrade and got it at least for the trip over; tbd shortly before our return if our low ball bid will get us an upgrade for that leg. Excited to wait for the departure in the airline lounge besides the layflat beds and toys during the flight.

Best time for HI is right between Jan 01 and Dec 31 :D

We went to Oahu, for a week, lots to see, are you interested in surf boarding ?

Do NOT take a taxi from the airport as you will find out why Oahu has famous bad traffic (while the meter runs)

Heading like many others here for Europe this week, tooling around with friends for a week in northern Bavaria in Germany and a few more days in Switzerland. We booked Swiss economy but bid on a business class upgrade and got it at least for the trip over; tbd shortly before our return if our low ball bid will get us an upgrade for that leg. Excited to wait for the departure in the airline lounge besides the layflat beds and toys during the flight.

Which airline program lets you bid on upgrades on Swiss?

I know with United, which is in the Star Alliance with Swiss, Lufthansa and others, you can request an upgrade with miles for like $550 copay and 20 or 25k miles each way.

But you get waitlisted and often you may find that the overseas flight gets upgraded but not the domestic segment. For instance, it may be coach from SFO to ORD but the international flight from ORD gets the upgrade.

Best time for HI is right between Jan 01 and Dec 31 :D

We went to Oahu, for a week, lots to see, are you interested in surf boarding ?

Do NOT take a taxi from the airport as you will find out why Oahu has famous bad traffic (while the meter runs)

I was looking at going towards the end of September. Car rentals seem pretty cheap.

Do they have Uber on all the islands?

Also, seems kind of controversial but a lot of the hotels and condos don't have air conditioning. Some will claim with trade winds you don't need it.

Others are more insistent and said they left windows open at night only to have intruders enter in a lot of the resort areas.

Any advice on where to go in South Asia?

My wife has a 1 week multi-sport trip planned with a friend in Bhutan in Oct of 2018 and we were think about adding on by visiting some other places before of after that trip. We like to be active - hiking, walking, biking, swimming/snorkling and don't really like the big city scene.

We were looking @ potentially Thailand (we have been to Koh Samui when first married and loved it) and Vietnam (with maybe a stop @ the temples in Cambodia). Would love people's advice on a couple of places to go for 2-3 weeks extra travel.

Yesterday we had the furnace guy over to replace the condensor, (we thought that the whole furnace might have to go, plus the pipes since the government has decreed that ours are no longer 'fashionable', and new installations require different pipes).....expensive, (wow, we needed 2 lbs of gas and that ain't cheap), but nowhere near as expensive as we had feared.

DW's mom appears to be improved, while we are getting older.

So, October 22, we leave for Sofia, Bulgaria, where we have rented this place for 13 nights...including the ubiquitous cleaning & service fees, but factoring in the extended stay discount, it comes out at $34.23 Canadian, ($27.15 US) per night:

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/18903877?eluid=0&euid=8fcaeab7-ce79-cc6f-a978-56ddc1756b95

We plan on day trips, and possibly/probably overnighters to places such as Plovdiv The Old town of Plovdiv (Town of Plovdiv) and for the price we're paying in Sofia we can just leave our 'stuff' there and throw a few items in a bag.

Then on November 5, we fly to Rome from Sofia, (probably stay overnight), before getting an early train to Civitavecchia where we'll catch a westbound repositioning cruise to Puerto Rico, (two nights there), thence Toronto.

Last edited:
I was looking at going towards the end of September. Car rentals seem pretty cheap.

Ah, no interest in humpbacks! If that isn't important, then I agree with earlier poster that every day is a good day to be in Hawaii. :)

This trip is on wife's bucket list and she is a snorkeler, not whale watcher. Would like to hit at least 2 of the islands and have heard that May or September was off season and less crowded with families as kids are back in school. Leaning more toward May as Sept falls into hurricane season.

Jack

Which airline program lets you bid on upgrades on Swiss?

I know with United, which is in the Star Alliance with Swiss, Lufthansa and others, you can request an upgrade with miles for like $550 copay and 20 or 25k miles each way.

But you get waitlisted and often you may find that the overseas flight gets upgraded but not the domestic segment. For instance, it may be coach from SFO to ORD but the international flight from ORD gets the upgrade.

There is a list here: Plusgrade | revenue upgrade platform for the airline industry (click more to see all of the airlines). No miles involved, just $--I don't think it's part of a frequent flyer program. For Swiss, we got an email telling us we could bid; when we flew SAS last year we could bid without being invited to. I see (using ExpertFlyer.com) on our return flight that there are only five available business class seats on our Sunday flight so doubtful we will be sitting there.

This trip is on wife's bucket list and she is a snorkeler, not whale watcher. Would like to hit at least 2 of the islands and have heard that May or September was off season and less crowded with families as kids are back in school. Leaning more toward May as Sept falls into hurricane season.

Jack

We were in Hawaii in early December 2015 (reasonable--off season, families still in school) and there were lots of whales we saw on boats taking us on snorkeling excursions. The guides said they were early, I believe--or late :LOL:. We hadn't timed our trip around the whales but very exciting to see them breeching.

($27.15 US) per night
Nice price, nice spot! Shorter stay, but Copenhagen is 5 times that price! And it's just a tiny single room. I looked on AirBnB and didn't find anything close that looked good for my dates, so I opted for a hotel. Accommodations seem really tight on my dates (9/4 for 5 nights).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom