Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #3021
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
Next up for us is a week+ in each of Brussels and Prague. Renting an apartment with friends. Past travels have been Greece/Turkey, London, Ireland, Spain/Portugal, France (Burgundy and Provence), Baltic Sea cruise, Japan, Alaska, Australia. Next year we have a Columbia and Snake rivers cruise scheduled.
Brussels and Prague are THE beer cities. We started our visits with Free Walking Tours and took their Nightlife Tours--with 20 or so crazies from all over the world. It was a great way to find the really good restaurants and beer halls.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #3022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Scratch Iceland, insert Norway. We had such a wonderful time with the family this week in Cancun, oldest DD wants to do a hiking trek with us next summer, so we'll be heading to Norway after England/Scotland for a week of high fjord hiking, using the same company that we'll be using for the Coast to Coast portion (European Walking and Cycling Holidays | Sherpa Expeditions).

The reason is that Iceland is a little too dear for her budget, and we're happy to make the change out in order to have her join in on the fun.
Iceland is more expensive than Norway?

Old 08-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #3023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Every time I go on such a trip, I go to Wikipedia to check the city out. They have a chart that has high and low temperatures, average rainfall and AVERAGE DAYS WITH RAIN.
I research the weather too. I check these sites:

besttimetogo.com
thebesttimetovisit.com
holiday-weather.com
whereandwhen.net
Old 08-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #3024
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Both horribly expensive IMHO, but both well worth visiting.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #3025
Give me a forum ...

Just returned from a couple of weeks in Europe. One of my bucket list items had been to visit Aachen's cathedral because I've always been fascinated with Charlemagne and the beginnings of the Holy Roman Empire.

It was nice, but I would skip it if I had known. Aachen is a pretty humdrum town, and the main feature (beyond selling Charlemagne to tourists) seemed to be at least one Greek restaurant in every block.

I had planned a full day there, but after three hours I got back on a train and split.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #3026
Full time employment: Posting here.

Red face 2016, Not Quite as Much Fun as 2015.....But Close

1 week in June--- attended niece's college grad. in L.A.
1 week in July-- visited sister-in-law in Venice, FL. Very hot and humid, but beach lovely and uncrowded.

This week--- drive to home town in upstate NY to visit friends and relatives, and attend class reunion. I hope we all get name tags at the reunion!!

Last week Aug./first week in Sept.---travel to L.A. for same niece's wedding, then on to Nor. Cal. to visit family and friends. Will get to spend 4 days in my old college town with best friend

End of Oct.-early Nov.--- drive to FL with friend to deliver heirlooms to our respective relatives. (This will vacate more space in our downsized condos.) Then we will take a 7-day cruise of the Eastern Caribbean. Neither of us has been a cruise before; but we chose it because we are each exhausted from the past year (she with 3 kids getting married, and me from downsizing/moving). We plan to crash and relax...........don't even know if we will bother getting off the ship. It seems like a good antidote to a hectic year.

Last year we spent 3 weeks in Britain and a week in Maine.......plus individual trips to visit relatives. This year, that sounds like too much work.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #3027
gone traveling

One week in Hawaii!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #3028
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just returned from a couple of weeks in Europe. One of my bucket list items had been to visit Aachen's cathedral because I've always been fascinated with Charlemagne and the beginnings of the Holy Roman Empire.

It was nice, but I would skip it if I had known. Aachen is a pretty humdrum town, and the main feature (beyond selling Charlemagne to tourists) seemed to be at least one Greek restaurant in every block.

I had planned a full day there, but after three hours I got back on a train and split.
Didn't know about this one. Many cathedrals replaced churches from before 1000, so this one still having bits from before 800 is impressive. Unusual shape too.

Reims was interesting. Great town and cathedral and in Champagne too!

Reims cathedral replaced an older church, destroyed by fire in 1211, that was built on the site of the basilica where Clovis, first King of the Franks, was baptized by Saint Remi, bishop of Reims, in AD 496. So you don't see older parts. Still it's one of the oldest gothic cathedrals.

We lucked out by arriving on the day of the Joan of Arc festival and so were surrounded by people dressed in medieval garb around the cathedral including knights on horseback! Very cool.

We've run across a few "Charlemagne was here" locations across Europe but had no idea where he was buried. The Romanesque elements in the burial chapel are pre-gothic.

Hmmm - I see Aachen is not far from the Netherlands.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #3029
Give me a forum ...

Finished off our trip to the Northwest and the weather was luckily excellent. We visited:

Seattle - Chihuly Glass museum was great and their garden area was spectacular at this time of year. Pike Place market not recommended on a nice late Sunday afternoon which we did (unfortunately) after arrival. Maybe it is better on a week day or early in the morning. Enjoyed the Museum of Flight which deserved more time but we had to catch our flight back home so only had 4 hours.

Port Townsend - old section is quaint and we stayed in a nice B&B. Did some watercolor sketches of the old houses.

Whidbey Island - stayed at a Mom & Pop B&B with view of Ebey Landing. Hiked in Deception Pass State Park.

Victoria (Vancouver Island) and Sooke - Victoria is fun and touristy around the harbor. Took some walks around the town. Went to Buchart Gardens which is best in the morning. Visited the BC Museum and took in one of their Imax shows too. Sooke had a few park walks that we enjoyed. BTW, the ferry ride from Anacortes to Sidney can take a lot of time because of customs on both sides of that ride.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

Port Townsend - old section is quaint and we stayed in a nice B&B. Did some watercolor sketches of the old houses.
Sailed down there from SSI in the 1990s to take in the Wooden Boat Festival....enjoyed walking up on the ridge and seeing the old places.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #3031

Quote:

I think they're about the same.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...untry2=Iceland

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #3032
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
With regard to the trekking company we are using, yes. They offered only a guided trek for Iceland, which made it twice the cost of their unguided Norway trek.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #3033

I think I could spend the rest of my life exploring Idaho - CDA is tough to beat, lots of history too
Old 08-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #3034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I think I could spend the rest of my life exploring Idaho
Fourteen years ago, after my late wife died, and after visiting friends in Lenore, I hauled the 5th wheel up along the river to Lolo Pass (thence Montana).....yes, it's lovely country.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #3035

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
For really quaint, the old Port Townsend Hotel has a room with kitchen and bath and a 950 sq.ft. private patio overlooking the water. Often overlooked by tourists.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #3036

I found my new getaway. Walla Walla Wa. I don't have to do any of the normal tourist crap. No hiking, biking, birding, photos, golf, museums, fishing, nothing. Just touring wineries and eating. Close 4 hr drive too.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:49 AM   #3037
Confused about dryer sheets

Will be taking a 15 day cruise to Hawaii later in fall leaving from Los Angeles. January or February driving across country to FL to visit my brother and SIL who just retired to The Villages.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #3038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Since, as per the Aneurysm thread, there's possibility/probability that my overseas traveling might be curtailed due to my inability to obtain insurance, (or worse, my demise ), we're making certain presumptions:

a)- That we'll still be able to take our Fall trip; if not, then b) is rendered nonviable.

b)- If we're still able to travel next Spring (we already have a deposit on a transatlantic, Costa Rica to Portugal) we'd consider staying on the same ship up the west coast of Europe to Rostok, Germany. From Rostok to Amsterdam by train. Pick up another ship in Amsterdam for a 12 night Baltic cruise, (which includes St. Petersburg).......that's as far as we've gotten for now.......we should know about 'a' next month, and if 'a' is a go, and upcoming CT scans indicate that 'b' is still a possibility, we'll expand from there.
CT scan for aneurysm scheduled for September 09........have paid the balance due on a) and placed minimal deposits on b)......(Pullmantur Monarch from Limon, Costa Rica, to Rostok, Germany, thence Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas loop, Amsterdam-Amsterdam - hopefully cancellations won't be necessary.......(figure/hope pain killers and a walking cane will keep the arthritis 'controllable')

Old 08-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #3039

I am planning a trip to -*Milwaukee* - this weekend to attend Milwaukee Irish Fest.

Maybe I should borrow some Kevlar products between now and then.

-gauss
Old 08-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #3040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I am planning a trip to -*Milwaukee* - this weekend to attend Milwaukee Irish Fest.

Maybe I should borrow some Kevlar products between now and then.

-gauss
A few good deals here:

Armour and Tracked Military Vehicles For Sale – MILWEB Classifieds