Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #3041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

has anyone ever driven through the Palouse?

We went to CDA last week and drove around the East side of the lake through Plummer and down to Walla Walla. One of the most beautiful drives I've ever done.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #3042

^ Beautiful pic!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #3043
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just made plans for a return to beautiful Big Bend National Park and the incredible Eve's Garden in nearby Marathon.

Eve's Garden Bed and Breakfast | When you want something special

Late September. Hope it isn't still 100+ by then.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #3044

So good to be back in Quebec after too long an absence. Quebec City and Gaspe were wonderful. Going to Dublin with a week long stopover in Newfoundlad. First time for both.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #3045
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our first visit to Newfoundland was just about two years ago and we absolutely loved it. We flew into St. Johns and stayed in a great B&B. Alas, in our week we never got more than about 40 or 50 kilometers from the city, but it was a delightful time and we're more than ready to go back.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #3046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

We went to CDA last week and drove around the East side of the lake through Plummer and down to Walla Walla. One of the most beautiful drives I've ever done.
Live here and love it! We make regular trips to the west-side to DD &DGD and always blown away by the many changes in the view coming with the seasons and changes in crops being harvested.
Nwsteve
Old 08-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
CT scan for aneurysm scheduled for September 09........have paid the balance due on a) and placed minimal deposits on b)......(Pullmantur Monarch from Limon, Costa Rica, to Rostok, Germany, thence Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas loop, Amsterdam-Amsterdam - hopefully cancellations won't be necessary.......(figure/hope pain killers and a walking cane will keep the arthritis 'controllable')
Fickle folk that we are, we're now looking at dropping the Vision of the Seas loop in favor of staying on the Monarch and following this itinerary:

Sat Jun 3 Berlin (Rostock), Germany 10:00pm
Sun Jun 4 At Sea
Mon Jun 5 Stavanger, Norway 9:00am 7:00pm
Tue Jun 6 Haugesund, Norway 7:00am 5:00pm
Wed Jun 7 Flam, Norway 7:30am 6:00pm
Thu Jun 8 Skjolden, Norway 7:30am 4:00pm
Fri Jun 9 Alesund, Norway 8:00am 5:00pm
Sat Jun 10 Bergen, Norway 8:00am

Thence the ~ 7 hour train ride to Bergen (which sounds wonderful)......(we've only visited Bergen previously, so the other ports are part of our unfulfilled wish list.)

Old 08-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #3048

I spent a nice weekend up in Santa Ynez with some girlfriends.... Sampled some wonderful wines and ate some awesome food. Did not get chased naked through the ostrich farm. (Sideways reference.)
Old 08-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #3049
Full time employment: Posting here.

Planning a hiking trip to Ireland next year.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #3050
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Fickle folk that we are, we're now looking at dropping the Vision of the Seas loop in favor of staying on the Monarch and following this itinerary:
Sounds absolutely wonderful and I would encourage you to do that.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #3051

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Sounds absolutely wonderful and I would encourage you to do that.
Thanks!

So, (as of today), this would (likely) be the three B2B cruises:

Tue May 9 Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 4:00pm
Wed May 10 Colon, Panama 7:30am 3:30pm
Thu May 11 Cartagena, Colombia 9:30am 8:00pm
Fri May 12 At Sea
Sat May 13 At Sea
Sun May 14 St. Maarten 10:00am 6:00pm
Mon May 15 Antigua 8:00am 6:00pm
Tue May 16 At Sea
Wed May 17 At Sea
Thu May 18 At Sea
Fri May 19 At Sea
Sat May 20 At Sea
Sun May 21 At Sea
Mon May 22 At Sea
Tue May 23 Funchal, Madeira, Portugal 8:00am 6:00pm
Wed May 24 At Sea
Thu May 25 Lisbon, Portugal

Thu May 25 Lisbon, Portugal 1:00pm
Fri May 26 Vigo, Spain 8:00am 3:00pm
Sat May 27 At Sea
Sun May 28 Cherbourg, France 11:00am 8:00pm
Mon May 29 Paris (Le Havre), France 7:00am 6:00pm
Tue May 30 London (Harwich), England 8:00am 8:00pm
Wed May 31 Amsterdam (IJmuiden), Holland 9:00am 5:00pm
Thu Jun 1 At Sea
Fri Jun 2 Copenhagen, Denmark 7:00am 2:00pm
Sat Jun 3 Berlin (Rostock), Germany 8:00am

Sat Jun 3 Berlin (Rostock), Germany 10:00pm
Sun Jun 4 At Sea
Mon Jun 5 Stavanger, Norway 9:00am 7:00pm
Tue Jun 6 Haugesund, Norway 7:00am 5:00pm
Wed Jun 7 Flam, Norway 7:30am 6:00pm
Thu Jun 8 Skjolden, Norway 7:30am 4:00pm
Fri Jun 9 Alesund, Norway 8:00am 5:00pm
Sat Jun 10 Bergen, Norway 8:00am

Old 08-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #3052
Give me a forum ...

That is one of the greatest ways to spend a month I could imagine.

Here's hoping you enjoy it as much as I think you will!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #3053
Give me a forum ...

Well - I finally "published" the detailed itinerary (with plenty of built-in flexibility) for our upcoming Europe trip to DH. I put a huge amount of work into this over 3 months (non continuous - we had other travels too while I was working on this big one). Thus my sig line below.

We'll be gone just over a month, mostly southern France and Barcelona and surrounds. Flying into Amsterdam to visit family for a week, then flying into Lyon for a couple days, travel to (bases) Avignon, Nice, Aix-en-Provence, quick stop in Carcassone on the way to Catalonia base Barcelona. Returning to US from Barcelona. All public transport. Quite a few small group mini-van tours set up, some private.

We have a great trip outlined and I'm very excited about it. I'm not sure I'm willing to do this amount of work next year......
Old 08-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #3054

Quote:

Yes, it's beautiful country. I lived in Spokane for 7 years back in the 80's so had lots of opportunity to enjoy the area.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #3055

Quote:

What is CDA?

I searched Google Maps and I see a town called Palouse, just west of the border with ID and north of Pullman.

Are these hills around the town, north, south, west, east?

BTW, that website looks terrific, placestoseeinyourlifetime.com.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #3056

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well - I finally "published" the detailed itinerary (with plenty of built-in flexibility) for our upcoming Europe trip to DH. I put a huge amount of work into this over 3 months (non continuous - we had other travels too while I was working on this big one). Thus my sig line below.

We'll be gone just over a month, mostly southern France and Barcelona and surrounds. Flying into Amsterdam to visit family for a week, then flying into Lyon for a couple days, travel to (bases) Avignon, Nice, Aix-en-Provence, quick stop in Carcassone on the way to Catalonia base Barcelona. Returning to US from Barcelona. All public transport. Quite a few small group mini-van tours set up, some private.

We have a great trip outlined and I'm very excited about it. I'm not sure I'm willing to do this amount of work next year......
For me, the planning and research is part of the experience. It is work but I do it in bursts, some right after deciding to go and then save research in Evernote and finally finish it off in the last couple of weeks before departure.

Heavily use tripit.com and Kayak My Trips. Before that, it was a bunch of word processing docs, with screen shots and text from web sites pasted in.

I put in stuff or list of places that I never end up going to but put in as contingency or for future trips to the region. I've used my previous itineraries for some places I've visited before. For instance, I just booked a trip to Vietnam and HK. I've been to the latter before so I'll use the itinerary I had before as well as the custom Google Maps.

I used to print these itineraries out but they fill up about 15 pages for each 7-9 days of travel so now I just save it in PDF and view them in my iPad.

The web has gotten so good for travel research that I don't buy guide books nor use travel agents. DIY is a lot of work but if I ever go on one of those package t ours again, I wouldn't learn as much about the places.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #3057

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
What is CDA?
Coeur d'Alene?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #3058
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
For me, the planning and research is part of the experience. It is work but I do it in bursts, some right after deciding to go and then save research in Evernote and finally finish it off in the last couple of weeks before departure.

Heavily use tripit.com and Kayak My Trips. Before that, it was a bunch of word processing docs, with screen shots and text from web sites pasted in.

I put in stuff or list of places that I never end up going to but put in as contingency or for future trips to the region. I've used my previous itineraries for some places I've visited before. For instance, I just booked a trip to Vietnam and HK. I've been to the latter before so I'll use the itinerary I had before as well as the custom Google Maps.

I used to print these itineraries out but they fill up about 15 pages for each 7-9 days of travel so now I just save it in PDF and view them in my iPad.

The web has gotten so good for travel research that I don't buy guide books nor use travel agents. DIY is a lot of work but if I ever go on one of those package t ours again, I wouldn't learn as much about the places.
Yeah - I agree. The planning is part of the experience. Although I would have preferred about half the time on it, but I am inclined to be very thorough. We'll see how well it pays off. I didn't spend this much time last year.

Yeah - my detailed itinerary is in a PDF form to be used on our iOS devices. I also used the Apple Calendar as the primary tool. This is shared among all our iOS devices as it is a shared calendar with DH. It has the fixed information like hotels, tranport, scheduled tours and related confirmation numbers and other details like times and locations, etc. but I still needed to layout our options of what we might want to do any given day and any constraints such as local trains schedules or which days sites are closed. And which days could be swapped around in our schedule, etc.

I also use the Google maps app to mark all the locations of likely interest ahead of time. Makes navigating easy, as well as helping me despcide what works bunched together.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #3059

Well TripIt lets you link to your calendar.

As a result, TripIt is generating events in both my Google and iOS calendars, with multiple notifications.

Way back when, there was a way to link it and I never bothered to change it.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #3060
Give me a forum ...

Another nice feature of the iOS calendar besides alerts and sharing is that you can attach relevant docs for a given entry and thus see them on other devices. Also notes and urns and shows location maps which links to Apple maps for routing. That's why the iOS calendar has become my primary organizing mechanism for trips.