Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #3061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Fickle folk that we are, we're now looking at dropping the Vision of the Seas loop in favor of staying on the Monarch and following this itinerary:

Sat Jun 3 Berlin (Rostock), Germany 10:00pm
Sun Jun 4 At Sea
Mon Jun 5 Stavanger, Norway 9:00am 7:00pm
Tue Jun 6 Haugesund, Norway 7:00am 5:00pm
Wed Jun 7 Flam, Norway 7:30am 6:00pm
Thu Jun 8 Skjolden, Norway 7:30am 4:00pm
Fri Jun 9 Alesund, Norway 8:00am 5:00pm
Sat Jun 10 Bergen, Norway 8:00am

Thence the ~ 7 hour train ride to Bergen (which sounds wonderful)......(we've only visited Bergen previously, so the other ports are part of our unfulfilled wish list.)
This sounds like a great itinerary. I'm going to be hitting many of the same places in Norway from the land side next month.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #3062

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
This sounds like a great itinerary. I'm going to be hitting many of the same places in Norway from the land side next month.
Hope you'll give us a report with pics - the lady next door to us says the train ride, Bergen-Oslo, is 'fantastic'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #3063

Just got back from attending Bonneville Speedweek (at Bonneville Slat Flats in UT) and then some days camping around CO. Drove the motorhome, dry camping at Bonneville, then state park or private campground in CO. Was a real nice time, especially since Speedweek has been cancelled due to weather the previous two years. Saw several friends, lots of nice race cars and hot rods, and some beautiful scenery through UT and CO.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #3064
Full time employment: Posting here.

Going to Mackinac Island from Chicago in September. Heard it is a nice drive up there. I was there with my family 50 years ago. It was summer and hot. We stayed at the Grand Hotel at which time had no air conditioning. Has anyone been there recently? Looking forward to it. Thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #3065

Quote:
Thanks!

So, (as of today), this would (likely) be the three B2B cruises:

Tue May 9 Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 4:00pm
Wed May 10 Colon, Panama 7:30am 3:30pm
Thu May 11 Cartagena, Colombia 9:30am 8:00pm
Fri May 12 At Sea
Sat May 13 At Sea
Sun May 14 St. Maarten 10:00am 6:00pm
Mon May 15 Antigua 8:00am 6:00pm
Tue May 16 At Sea
Wed May 17 At Sea
Thu May 18 At Sea
Fri May 19 At Sea
Sat May 20 At Sea
Sun May 21 At Sea
Mon May 22 At Sea
Tue May 23 Funchal, Madeira, Portugal 8:00am 6:00pm
Wed May 24 At Sea
Thu May 25 Lisbon, Portugal

Thu May 25 Lisbon, Portugal 1:00pm
Fri May 26 Vigo, Spain 8:00am 3:00pm
Sat May 27 At Sea
Sun May 28 Cherbourg, France 11:00am 8:00pm
Mon May 29 Paris (Le Havre), France 7:00am 6:00pm
Tue May 30 London (Harwich), England 8:00am 8:00pm
Wed May 31 Amsterdam (IJmuiden), Holland 9:00am 5:00pm
Thu Jun 1 At Sea
Fri Jun 2 Copenhagen, Denmark 7:00am 2:00pm
Sat Jun 3 Berlin (Rostock), Germany 8:00am

Sat Jun 3 Berlin (Rostock), Germany 10:00pm
Sun Jun 4 At Sea
Mon Jun 5 Stavanger, Norway 9:00am 7:00pm
Tue Jun 6 Haugesund, Norway 7:00am 5:00pm
Wed Jun 7 Flam, Norway 7:30am 6:00pm
Thu Jun 8 Skjolden, Norway 7:30am 4:00pm
Fri Jun 9 Alesund, Norway 8:00am 5:00pm
Sat Jun 10 Bergen, Norway 8:00am
Are you finding a great price on this trip and are prices still dropping? I'm curious since you now appear to have a chronic health issue that might need sudden attention, if you feel confident about getting good medical help on a cruise ship.My DH has a new chronic condition that is well under control and medicated, but things can change and in the back of my mind this is a little bit of an issue to my peace of mind when so far away from home.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #3066

Quote:
Hope you'll give us a report with pics - the lady next door to us says the train ride, Bergen-Oslo, is 'fantastic'.
I won't be taking the train. I want to be on my own schedule to allow for photography. Going to go around by rental car.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #3067

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Going to Mackinac Island from Chicago in September. Heard it is a nice drive up there. I was there with my family 50 years ago. It was summer and hot. We stayed at the Grand Hotel at which time had no air conditioning. Has anyone been there recently? Looking forward to it. Thanks
Mackinac Island is fun. Get a bike to go around the island, visit the fort, and have some fudge. There's a butterfly house too if you're in to that.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #3068

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Are you finding a great price on this trip and are prices still dropping?
Should be able to provide the cruise costs shortly; for the 3 B2B cruises we currently have 2 different interior cabins, and 1 oceanview for the Norwegian section...will see what a little juggling can come up with. As to pricing, these fares are comparatively low (I believe basic beers/wines are included in the price), and we're not sure (actually we just don't know), if they'll drop further. Will provide more info when available.

Quote:
I'm curious since you now appear to have a chronic health issue that might need sudden attention, if you feel confident about getting good medical help on a cruise ship.My DH has a new chronic condition that is well under control and medicated, but things can change and in the back of my mind this is a little bit of an issue to my peace of mind when so far away from home.
I have two health issues, (for the price of one ); there's the aneurysm, for which I'm having a Cat Scan on September 09 - if it hasn't grown (substantially) we should be good to go.

If/when these things blow (and hopefully it won't), the chances of making it to a hospital (or anywhere, even if one is at home) appear to be slim and none, so being shipboard isn't really a concern. (I've told DW that, if we're overseas and I clutch my chest and keel over, to just grab my bag, keep walking, and don't look back.)

The second issue is back arthritis/sciatica......I've purchased a cane, and will take painkillers as/when necessary......worst comes to worst I might spend a fair bit of time sitting on deck reading and looking at the ocean.....which ain't so bad. So, in either case, onboard healthcare isn't a primary concern for me.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I won't be taking the train. I want to be on my own schedule to allow for photography. Going to go around by rental car.
Waiting to see the pics regardless - enjoy!

Old 08-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #3070

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Mackinac is fun, but the harbor town can be crazy busy on the weekends and not everyone knows how to ride a bike.
The "real town" is in the center of the island. Make sure you take some time to hike into the interior. It is peaceful and you can catch a glimpse of how the year-rounders live. There is also a very good German restaurant, The Woods, tucked behind the Grand Hotel. You need to take a carriage to it. I recommend it. If you stay on the island some of the hotels have a DVD of a documentary about the people that live there year round. Very interesting to watch, if you can track down a copy.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #3071
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I spent a nice weekend up in Santa Ynez with some girlfriends.... Sampled some wonderful wines and ate some awesome food. Did not get chased naked through the ostrich farm. (Sideways reference.)
Where did you eat that you enjoyed Rodi? Hubby and I will be RV'ing there in the fall and having already done Hitching Post II, are looking for someplace new.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #3072
Recycles dryer sheets

DD just invited me to accompany her on a four day trek along the Inca Trail in Peru up to Machu Picchu. Having been to Machu Picchu previously by train, I am excited at the idea of returning via the Inca trail, the total trek about 26 miles. The daily mileage is totally manageable; it's the altitude that will be the kicker. I have three days to decide, but am leaning strongly toward 'Yes.'
Old 08-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #3073

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
DD just invited me to accompany her on a four day trek along the Inca Trail in Peru up to Machu Picchu. Having been to Machu Picchu previously by train, I am excited at the idea of returning via the Inca trail, the total trek about 26 miles. The daily mileage is totally manageable; it's the altitude that will be the kicker. I have three days to decide, but am leaning strongly toward 'Yes.'
If you do it, please report back. This is on our list of things to do in early years of retirement.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #3074

Quote:
but am leaning strongly toward 'Yes.'
What, is there any other viable option?

Old 08-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #3075
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
If you do it, please report back. This is on our list of things to do in early years of retirement.
Will definitely do so.

Quote:
What, is there any other viable option?
LOL! Yes, you are quite right that there really is no other option. As soon as DD asked, the ball was set into motion . . .
Old 08-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #3076

Quote:
We did MP in June, only had a chance to go to the Sun Gate on the Inca Trail on our own one morning. We are both 60's active and live at 4600 ft and had spent the previous 10 days at sea level with no altitude problems.

Go for it.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #3077
Recycles dryer sheets

Next month I'm going on a weeklong hiking trip in Crater Lake NP in southern Oregon. I've bicycled up to and around Rim Drive a few times but I never had the opportunity to hike there. It's such a glorious place, I'm really looking forward to seeing it from another perspective, away from the paved road.

My husband doesn't enjoy hiking so I'm going on my own.

It'll be my first trip with Road Scholar ( aka RoadScholar ), hopefully I'll enjoy dealing with them because I'm already considering a couple of their other hiking trips for next year.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #3078

Drove the RV to Bar Harbor stopping every couple hundred miles for swimming and camping. Great view from my front window at Bar Harbor Campgrounds

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #3079
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Where did you eat that you enjoyed Rodi? Hubby and I will be RV'ing there in the fall and having already done Hitching Post II, are looking for someplace new.
I'm not Rodi but I thought I'd chime in. A couple of years ago, DH and I ate at Trattoria Grappolo in Santa Ynez and we really enjoyed it. I just checked the recent reviews on Trip Advisor and on the whole it still seems to be very highly regarded (except for a couple of reviewers who said they had very bad experiences, oops).
Old 08-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #3080

Quote:
Are you finding a great price on this trip and are prices still dropping?
Quote:
Should be able to provide the cruise costs shortly; for the 3 B2B cruises we currently have 2 different interior cabins, and 1 oceanview for the Norwegian section.
Here's our calculation thus far:

16 night Transatlantic Limon Costa Rica to Lisbon
$1,092 US (total for two)

9 night Lisbon to Rostock Germany
$1,334 US (total for two)

7 night Rostock to Bergen
$1,374 US (total for two)

Total: $3,800 US = ~ $4,910 Canadian

(Not included are 'mandatory gratuities', getting to Costa Rica and getting home from.......wherever we decide to fly home from.)

Seems the ship may be filling fast; we're in 3 different cabins (granted, the 3rd leg is an oceanview while the others are interior), and it wasn't possible to remain in the first interior for the first and second legs.