Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #3081
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Next month I'm going on a weeklong hiking trip in Crater Lake NP in southern Oregon. I've bicycled up to and around Rim Drive a few times but I never had the opportunity to hike there. It's such a glorious place, I'm really looking forward to seeing it from another perspective, away from the paved road.

My husband doesn't enjoy hiking so I'm going on my own.

It'll be my first trip with Road Scholar ( aka RoadScholar ), hopefully I'll enjoy dealing with them because I'm already considering a couple of their other hiking trips for next year.
Bears?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #3082
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

Bears?
Not sure what you're asking ...

Old 08-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #3083

Are there bears up there to deal with in the summer?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #3084

Finalizing plans for our England / Ireland trip. Making important maps - pub locations.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472056174.415986.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #3085
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not if you follow the "sell in May and go away" investment philosophy.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #3086
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
As far as I know, they're present, but they're not much of a problem. The times I've been up there in the past, the camping and picnic areas were well maintained and kept clear of trash. For the most part.

This might be helpful:
Black Bears of Crater Lake National Park

This time around I won't be camping, I'll be staying at a lodge at nearby Diamond Lake.

Ed. to add: I'm referring to Crater Lake in Southern Oregon. Turns out there were some camping areas at Crater Lake in Colorado that had had to be closed last summer due to assertive bears. http://www.aspentimes.com/news/17585...at-crater-lake
Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #3087

Elizabeth, you should definitely go with your daughter!

Get a prescription for Diamox from your doctor. I know it is normally prescribed to take it for days in a row, but my personal experience was that I took it on the one day I had altitude sickness (traveling through the high mountains near Cuzco) and it worked almost immediately.

Altitude sickness is compounded by dehydration, so be sure to carry lots of safe water.

If you do take it for days in a row, it makes everything taste metallic, including beer (gross).

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #3088
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah in sc View Post
if you do take it for days in a row, it makes everything taste metallic, including beer (gross).

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472090412.118736.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:21 AM   #3089
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mid September we will be flying into Boston, drive up to Vermont for some days to meet family, then to NY to start our first CRUISE: NY, Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Quebec, Montreal, 10 days. Then some days on our own in Montreal and around, finally return flight to Germany.
We can hardly wait.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #3090

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
If you have not spent time in NY before, plan on returning. Great trip BTW.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #3091
Give me a forum ...

Heading up to New England next week for a break (the Kentucky heat has been a bit oppressive lately). Probably a bit of sea kayaking on the Maine coast, and there will definitely be a lot of lobstah on the menu.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #3092
Confused about dryer sheets

Am thinking of going to Slovenia and Croatia. Flying into Budapest and then taking Eurail into Lubjliana Slovenia and along the Croatian coast to Split. It is much cheaper to fly into Budapest. Since hostels are so common and having had a great experience with them in Iceland, doing the same this time.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:36 AM   #3093

Dogberry, be sure to check out Zadar, my husband stopped there on his drive with friends to Mongolia last year. There is a "sea organ" on the waterfront that is really very cool. Neat town--I hope to get there myself someday!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #3094

View from Bar Harbor Campgrounds. Highly recommend this place for frugal campers. Best price and best views. Free wild blueberries for the picking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1472213863350.jpg (64.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #3095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Here's our calculation thus far:

16 night Transatlantic Limon Costa Rica to Lisbon
$1,092 US (total for two)

9 night Lisbon to Rostock Germany
$1,334 US (total for two)

7 night Rostock to Bergen
$1,374 US (total for two)

Total: $3,800 US = ~ $4,910 Canadian

(Not included are 'mandatory gratuities', getting to Costa Rica and getting home from.......wherever we decide to fly home from.)

Seems the ship may be filling fast; we're in 3 different cabins (granted, the 3rd leg is an oceanview while the others are interior), and it wasn't possible to remain in the first interior for the first and second legs.
Great deal Nemo!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #3096

Yeah, nice set of cruises! DW said "eh" to another non-English TA, but she's excited for the BCN - Tampa in October on RCL. I told her it would be primarily English, but I didn't check

I hope nuthin "blows" on ya! That would be a memorable trip for your DW, but I suppose going out doing something you love is a plus.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #3097
Give me a forum ...

Currently planning on spending most of summer of 2017 in Europe. No real plans yet, other than DW saying "let's go to Lisbon. Google Images shows me pretty pictures". And she liked the pics that google produces when you search on Prague. I have dreams of landing in the south (Spain or Portugal?) and working our way north toward Germany with stops along the way. It's our first time in Europe so we're open to pretty much anything. In terms of language, I have decent proficiency in Spanish and limited French.

We have the option of adding a trip to Thailand onto the beginning or end of the Europe trip for very little extra cost (weird frequent flyer loophole that treats Europe as a stopover en route to SE Asia, so marginal extra cost in airline miles is minimal). I think it will be too hot in the summertime for our kids to cope with the heat and humidity. Ankgor Wat is the main thing we want to see, but would probably spend 2 weeks exploring Thailand and/or Cambodia if we head that way. DW is fluent in a dialect of Thai and might be able to pick up some Cambodian from her family before we leave. Although I'm strongly leaning toward skipping the SE Asia leg since our youngest will be 5 next summer and the 24+ hour return flight schedule scares me (and the heat scares me too).
Old 08-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #3098

We're heading to Niagra Falls early next month. From there, a couple of days in Toronto. We've never been to either. Any tips about a "must-see or do" in either. We're flying into Buffalo, then driving from there.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #3099
Recycles dryer sheets

One more RV Trailer trip/weekend in the Woodstock VT area Sept 30.

2017 is looking good and not just because last day of work is 12/22.......

10 Days in Grand Cayman in March, with some underwater time of course.

April will do a 2-3 week east coast trip with the RV Trailer to visit family and do some hiking

June to Europe for 2 weeks. I participate in a vintage VW caravan from Northern Belgium to the Hanover Germany area, and event that is held only every 4 years. As in years past, will be driving an original paint 1949 Beetle with cable brakes (!) 500+ miles in the weekend. Then to London to visit family, then back to Belgium for another car show the weekend after.

August down to Charleston SC to visit family and friends and see the eclipse.

That's all for now!!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
We're heading to Niagra Falls early next month. From there, a couple of days in Toronto. We've never been to either. Any tips about a "must-see or do" in either. We're flying into Buffalo, then driving from there.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Depends whatcha like doing ?!!

Once you cross over, you'll probably be on the QEW highway in Fort Erie. Exit immediately and take the Niagara Parkway drive north. You'll go through Niagara Falls proper (great view of the falls/built up tourist tacky area). Then it follows the river north on a scenic drive that eventually takes you up through the wineries and into Niagara-on-the-Lake (very pretty tourist town). Then it's back on the QEW to Toronto.
Toronto has everything. Much like a Chicago or smaller NYC. See a Jays game if they are in town. Go to the Hockey Hall of Fame if you like hockey. There are a bazillion restaurants of every type and ethnicity.
I guess you'll be here around the same time as TIFF ? (Sept. 8-18) Lots of great movies...