Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #3121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Same in Mexico. The shores are hot but Patzcuaro has been cold and rainy in August.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #3122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Barcelona is rainy and cool in February (41 mm on average and highs of 14 C). Make sure to take your umbrella.
Reminded me of being in Torremolinos early 1970, 600 miles SW of Barcelona......it was so wet that the locals were calling it the Costa del Agua.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #3123
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
One note of caution. Many of the smaller roads have walls or hedgerows close to the road. It got really exciting to ride in a tour bus which took up 3/4 of the road

No kidding, I just returned from a similar trip and put the rental into a ditch on one of those narrow roads. Not to mention regularly clipping the vegetation along the side of the road with the passenger side mirror.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #3124
Give me a forum ...

We are planning for a Canadian parks vacation next year starting in July. We'll be hiking in:
1) Banff 4 days
2) Jasper 6 days
3) Waterton 5 days

I was thinking about flying Air Canada (from SFO) and adding another Canadian destination to this i.e. open jaws flights. We've done the Vancouver-Victoria areas. Maybe Montreal would be nice but I don't see all that much exciting on TripAdvisor. Any thoughts on other destinations and activities in the mid-July time frame?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #3125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Any thoughts on other destinations and activities in the mid-July time frame?
Tall ships in Quebec City:

Rendez-vous 2017 | Quebec City and Area

Old 08-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #3126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We are planning for a Canadian parks vacation next year starting in July. We'll be hiking in:
1) Banff 4 days
2) Jasper 6 days
3) Waterton 5 days

I was thinking about flying Air Canada (from SFO) and adding another Canadian destination to this i.e. open jaws flights. We've done the Vancouver-Victoria areas. Maybe Montreal would be nice but I don't see all that much exciting on TripAdvisor. Any thoughts on other destinations and activities in the mid-July time frame?
Montreal in July

Montreal Jazz Festival, 28 June - 8 July 2017
Festival International de Jazz de Montréal - Accueil

Just For Laughs, July 11-30 2017
Schedule

Canada will be celebrating its 150th anniversary in 2017 and July 1 (Canada Day) will be special. Expect lots of local events wherever you go.
Participate - Canada 150 - Canada.ca
Old 08-30-2016, 11:15 PM   #3127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Barcelona is rainy and cool in February (41 mm on average and highs of 14 C). Make sure to take your umbrella.
I read that October is the wettest month in Barcelona followed by September. Based on that we packed umbrellas and raincoats as we will visit in late September.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 AM   #3128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I read that October is the wettest month in Barcelona followed by September. Based on that we packed umbrellas and raincoats as we will visit in late September.
There is a good site that tries to give one weather expectations and here it is for Barcelona:
https://weatherspark.com/averages/32...Cataluna-Spain
Old 08-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #3129
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Nemo and Meadbh for the interesting ideas in Canada. Cities are often a challenge for us, especially in North America (as compared to Europe with it's historical context).
Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 AM   #3130

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Looks like we might get drenched with thunderstorms in October (12% chance), but thunderstorms are more prevalent in September (18%).

But the difference between average precipitation (30%) and worst precipitation (35%) isn't that big in Barcelona. I just can't worry about such things (but will take the rain coat and umbrella, as usual).
Attached Images
File Type: png barcelonarain.png (60.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #3131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks Nemo and Meadbh for the interesting ideas in Canada. Cities are often a challenge for us, especially in North America (as compared to Europe with it's historical context).
When we lived in Alberta, we combined the trip to Waterton with a trip though the Crowsnest Pass and added stops in Windermere and Radium Hot Springs on the way to Lake Louise and Banff.

If you must fly a long way east, my vote would be Quebec City with Montreal if time permits (you will need time).
Old 08-31-2016, 11:56 AM   #3132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When we lived in Alberta, we combined the trip to Waterton with a trip though the Crowsnest Pass and added stops in Windermere and Radium Hot Springs on the way to Lake Louise and Banff.

If you must fly a long way east, my vote would be Quebec City with Montreal if time permits (you will need time).
I'll look up those 2 places. We'll be coming from SFO to Calgary, then drive to Banff. After that we go to Jasper and then down to Waterton (7+ hour drive).

Perhaps we could fit in another few stops on our way back to the Calgary airport from Waterton.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #3133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll look up those 2 places. We'll be coming from SFO to Calgary, then drive to Banff. After that we go to Jasper and then down to Waterton (7+ hour drive).
The best routing would be Calgary south to Waterton then west to Windermere then north and east to Lake Louise. Then to Banff and back and north to Columbia Icefields and on to Jasper.

From Jasper you could use Google to plot the return trip based on timing. If you can fly out of Edmonton, you would avoid retracing. Otherwise, returning on the Icefields Parkway is not too bad.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #3134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Next month I'm going on a weeklong hiking trip in Crater Lake NP in southern Oregon. I've bicycled up to and around Rim Drive a few times but I never had the opportunity to hike there. It's such a glorious place, I'm really looking forward to seeing it from another perspective, away from the paved road.
DW and I took the Garfield Peak trail from the lodge. It was great!
Old 09-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #3135

We are leaving tomorrow and driving from WV to Welshpool, New Brunswick Canada. We are going to the Roosevelt Campobello International Park for a couple of days and then driving to Acadia National Park for a few days of hiking. We will then go to Rockland ME and do a 6 day trip on the Schooner Heritage. I need to thank Options for posting about a blog that he was reading, Thoughts of a Bag Lady in Waiting. I started reading this lady's blog and she mentioned going on the Schooner Heritage on several trips. Options mentioned this blog on 7/24/15 and we sailed on the Schooner Heritage 9/13/15 and met the author's cousin and her spouse. The author of the blog, Linda Myers, contacted me and wanted to know if we are going this year. We will be meeting her and her spouse, and her cousin and her spouse on the Schooner Heritage this year. I am really looking forward to this trip. I love that people on this forum share so many things here. So, thank you to Options, for usmeeting new people and sharing new experiences!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #3136
Give me a forum ...

We went to Mammoth Lakes for a week and hiked in the Eastern Sierras including the Tioga Pass area of Yosemite. Here is a pic of the Saddlebags Lake area with a small pond in the foreground (left of center). There was a 2 foot long garter snake in the shale at the pond edge. He (or she?) was hunting for thumbnail sized little frogs which were pretty abundant.

We did some watercolor sketching on the hikes every day. This time we took along light weight 3 legged stools. It is amazingly hard to find 2 rocks suitable for sitting on that are just in the right place for the sketch one wants to do.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #3137

Just spent a couple of days on Mackinac Island.

It was great. The weather was perfect - low 70's - not bad for late August. We walked the 8 mile loop road around the island. M-185 is the only state highway with no cars on it. Lots of bikes though.

We also took a sunset cruise to watch the sun set over the Mackinac Bridge. DW was mildly skeptical but she loved it. It helped that the water was calm, the breeze light, and the sunset was beautiful. Aside: it was our anniversary and another couple on board was also celebrating their anniversary and another had just gotten married. I guess we all had the same idea.

We also stopped in Traverse City, which we like a lot. And Bay City - just because it had Marriott's Courtyard along our drive up. But it turned out to be a very nice little city with a redeveloping waterfront and at least one restaurant that was excellent (we only tried one).

We cleared out before the real crowds showed up for Labor Day Weekend!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #3138

On May 07 this year we booked a post transatlantic cruise flight, Dec 02/16, Miami to Toronto with American Airlines @ $183.84 Canadian P.P.

We just received a notification from Expedia that the flight time has been delayed a couple hours (no biggee), but while confirming this on the A.A. site we noticed the price is now $378.00 Canadian P.P.

So..sometimes it's good to wait and perhaps find deals, but other times it's perhaps even greater to book early.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #3139

Nemo2 : you got a great deal there. Especially considering it's across the magic border where flights seem to go up $100 easily.
When we would fly from Chicago to FL, any time I could book a flight for 250 or less USD, I'd snag it.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #3140
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW has settled on a 2 week driving tour of New England for our autumn holiday in early October. We have taken an Airbnb cottage in Cape Cod for a week and then will drive around NH, VT, CT and RI for the remaining time. She wants to see Marthas Vineyard and some sort of festival in MA (I'm a little hazy on the details) and I want to go to Salem (right time of year, right ?) and a bit of hiking in Vermont. Any other ideas from New England locals ?
She has also bought us tickets to see a jack'o'lantern display in Providence, RI that looks like fun.
Coincidentally, this will be my first time in RI. It brings my state count now to 46/50 (missing WY, SD, HI, AL)
My province count is 7/10 (missing SK, MB, NL) and my territory count is 0/4.
They are FIRE goals to look forward to.