Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #3141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
DW has settled on a 2 week driving tour of New England for our autumn holiday in early October. We have taken an Airbnb cottage in Cape Cod for a week and then will drive around NH, VT, CT and RI for the remaining time. She wants to see Marthas Vineyard and some sort of festival in MA (I'm a little hazy on the details) and I want to go to Salem (right time of year, right ?) and a bit of hiking in Vermont. Any other ideas from New England locals ?
She has also bought us tickets to see a jack'o'lantern display in Providence, RI that looks like fun.
Coincidentally, this will be my first time in RI. It brings my state count now to 46/50 (missing WY, SD, HI, AL)
My province count is 7/10 (missing SK, MB, NL) and my territory count is 0/4.
They are FIRE goals to look forward to.

We're in RI now. Newport is really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #3142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We spent several days in Quebec City, then on to eastern Quebec and Gaspe. Great trip.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:50 AM   #3143
Give me a forum ...

With DH in failing health we've scaled way back on travel. Fortunately, my stepson will be here next week to stay with him so I can go off to a 45th HS reunion in Ohio.

I didn't particularly like the social aspects of HS; I just really enjoyed learning. I ventured to the 40th after hanging out on the class FaceBook page and getting a feel for who was up to what. I had a great time at the 40th- it was strangely like meeting new friends with whom you had a lot in common. So, I'm looking forward to this one.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #3144

just booked an 8 day Mexico Cruise over New Year's. Perks include free internet, free laundry, bar setup, nightly snacks.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #3145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW has settled on a 2 week driving tour of New England for our autumn holiday in early October. We have taken an Airbnb cottage in Cape Cod for a week and then will drive around NH, VT, CT and RI for the remaining time. She wants to see Marthas Vineyard and some sort of festival in MA (I'm a little hazy on the details) and I want to go to Salem (right time of year, right ?) and a bit of hiking in Vermont. Any other ideas from New England locals ?
She has also bought us tickets to see a jack'o'lantern display in Providence, RI that looks like fun.
Coincidentally, this will be my first time in RI. It brings my state count now to 46/50 (missing WY, SD, HI, AL)
This sounds like something we should do. I wish I could find a really detailed itinerary to work off of. Having lived only on the west coast, the east is an unlocked mystery. Have only been on very limited trips there. I've tried to look at a few New England trips and wind up confused about ground transportation issues.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #3146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
We went to Mammoth Lakes for a week and hiked in the Eastern Sierras including the Tioga Pass area of Yosemite. Here is a pic of the Saddlebags Lake area with a small pond in the foreground (left of center). There was a 2 foot long garter snake in the shale at the pond edge. He (or she?) was hunting for thumbnail sized little frogs which were pretty abundant.

We did some watercolor sketching on the hikes every day. This time we took along light weight 3 legged stools. It is amazingly hard to find 2 rocks suitable for sitting on that are just in the right place for the sketch one wants to do.

Nice! We are headed to that area late September. The Fall color should be lovely. Our cabin will have a wall heater and fireplace-will need heat if we get some real weather. Love the hiking in the eastern Sierra. I also paint watercolor,and I think I'll bring a travel kit this time. Usually I just take reference photos and paint when I get home, but you've inspired me to take my paints along!
Old 09-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #3147
Recycles dryer sheets

The long awaited trip to the Big Island - Hawaii starts tomorrow. Since we are overnighting in Seattle, I am looking forward to a fun dinner out there and a chance to see a glance of the city....

Forecast is rain, rain, and more rain but I have a good jacket and plan to get outdoors as much as I can!
Old 09-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #3148
Dryer sheet aficionado

We are taking a cruise out of NYC area to Bermuda in mid October... First time so if anyone has been there would love to hear your recommendations re: anything!
Old 09-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #3149

The servers are all tipped automatically, so for best service, read their name tag and say their name. Not so important for the assigned servers, like cabin steward, but for deck servers, they don't want to upset someone who knows their name, since that can end up on the cruise-end survey. Besides, it's fun to build a bit of recognition, and you can say something nice on the survey.

Don't even THINK of bidding on art, no matter how many glasses of champagne they give you; if you bid, you're paying...it goes on your on board account.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #3150

Going to Thailand and Malaysia on Monday. Round trip from San Francisco to Bangkok is amazingly cheap (again). $617. Once there I meet up with a friend and we fly to Kuala Lumpur for a couple of nights. Then we fly to Kuching in Borneo. That will be our base city. I have 4 tours scheduled through a tour company call Borneo Adventures. Then back to Thailand and a trip to Koh Samui and Pattaya. I will be gone a month for this trip.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #3151
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone got any travel planned?

Heading to France next week to ride some of the iconic Tour de France climbs in the Pyrenees ( Tourmalet, Aubisque, Hautacam , etc). My riding partner and I are going to drive to Normandy first for two days then drive south to the Pyrenees to ride for four days. Hopefully the weather doesn't turn too cold in the mountains while we are there. The place we are staying at caters to cyclist including good quality road bike rentals. It should be a good trip.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #3152

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Going to Thailand and Malaysia on Monday. Round trip from San Francisco to Bangkok is amazingly cheap (again). $617. Once there I meet up with a friend and we fly to Kuala Lumpur for a couple of nights. Then we fly to Kuching in Borneo. That will be our base city. I have 4 tours scheduled through a tour company call Borneo Adventures. Then back to Thailand and a trip to Koh Samui and Pattaya. I will be gone a month for this trip.
Marty-

Sounds like a great adventure! Post an occasional report on E-R.org.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #3153
Give me a forum ...

In case you are wondering if you should take part in the care free life of the Jet Set, take a look at this:

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #3154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
In case you are wondering if you should take part in the care free life of the Jet Set, take a look at this:

Love it!

Reminds me of the (fake) Air Canada slogan: "We're Not Happy Until You're Not Happy."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 09-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #3155
Administrator

Quote:
will drive around NH, VT, CT and RI for the remaining time. . . . Any other ideas from New England locals ?

Here are some ideas for things to do in CT:

1. Visit Mystic -- the Seaport is fun and interesting, and the town itself has many interesting little shops and restaurants, and a cool bascule bridge. Mystic Seaport, The Museum of America and the Sea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic...Bascule_Bridge

2. Visit Essex on the Connecticut River - many nice shops, and the chance to eat at the Griswold Inn. Griswold Inn You can take a ride on the Essex Steam Train and Riverboat while you're in the neighborhood. Or, early October would be a great time to ride the dinner train. The fall foliage is beautiful as you ride in restored dining cars up the shore of the river. And the food is good too. Essex Steam Train & Riverboat Ride | A nostalgic and exciting tourist destination operating live steam trains in the Connecticut River Valley since 1971. All Aboard!

3. Visit the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford -- It is the oldest public art museum in the US and has a fantastic permanent collection, as well as interesting visiting shows. https://thewadsworth.org/

4. Visit New Haven - in my opinion, the most livable city in CT. You can see the Yale campus, visit the Yale Art Museum and British Art Center, or the Peabody Natural History Museum. Museums & Galleries | Yale University While you're there, eat the world famous pizza at Pepe's Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, or have a burger at Louis' Lunch, where they were invented. Louis' Lunch - The Birthplace of the Hamburger Sandwich

5. Pack a picnic and hike up the Sleeping Giant in Hamden -- looking out over the surrounding countryside when the leaves are turning is wonderful. And it is a very easy hike. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepi...t_(Connecticut)

6. Visit the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks -- a really extensive collection of restored vintage aircraft. http://www.neam.org/
Old 09-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #3156
Administrator

Quote:
Any other ideas from New England locals ?
The Berkshires in MA are very nice, especially in Autumn.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #3157
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Next month I'm going on a weeklong hiking trip in Crater Lake NP in southern Oregon. I've bicycled up to and around Rim Drive a few times but I never had the opportunity to hike there. It's such a glorious place, I'm really looking forward to seeing it from another perspective, away from the paved road.

My husband doesn't enjoy hiking so I'm going on my own.

It'll be my first trip with Road Scholar ( aka RoadScholar ), hopefully I'll enjoy dealing with them because I'm already considering a couple of their other hiking trips for next year.

I just returned from this trip and it was fabulous!

For starters, we had great weather all week long. We hiked trails to destinations I've only seen on maps, trailhead signs, or maybe caught a glimpse of from the road, including Watchman Tower, Discovery Point trail, Sun Notch, Castle Crest, Mt. Scott, the Pinnacles, Plaikni Falls, and Crater Peak. One day we followed trails along the Umpqua River and viewed lots of springs and waterfalls. The hikes were all very pleasant, and some were fairly challenging but they well worth the effort.

The trip was very well organized. Best of all, the guides and the participants were great fun to be with and I found a few new hiking buddies. So my first Road Scholar experience was a definite success.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #3158
Give me a forum ...

Sounds good:

https://www.roadscholar.org/find-an-...-National-Park

So how were the accommodations and meals?

How long were the hikes each day?

I guess they drove you to Crater Lake from the Diamond Lake Resort for the hikes?

I think I'm good for a couple of hikes but not a week's worth.

Also kind of interested in staying at the Crater Lake Lodge. Or at least having a meal in that dining room with the views of the lake.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #3159
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you have the time, visit the Ninigret Conservation Area in Charlston, RI. It's a hidden treasure in R.I.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Ninigret/...ctivities.html

When I was a boy, I used to clam dig in those bays.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #3160

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
If you have the time, visit the Ninigret Conservation Area in Charlston, RI. It's a hidden treasure in R.I.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Ninigret/...ctivities.html

When I was a boy, I used to clam dig in those bays.

Wish I'd known. Next trip there! There's so much to do in that beautiful little state.

Closed Thread