Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #3161
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Sounds good:

https://www.roadscholar.org/find-an-...-National-Park

So how were the accommodations and meals?
I thought they were totally acceptable. The place we stayed wasn't very klassy, but my room was clean and everything functioned properly. It's really hard to find accommodations for groups close to Crater Lake, so I think this place worked out well. And I thought the meals were OK too. Granted, I'm not a picky eater; a few people in my group had a some issues with the food (but that happens, it's hard to please everyone).

Quote:
How long were the hikes each day?
The hiking generally amounted to between 4-8 miles total per day. Most days we had different hikes in the AM and the PM, and we split into groups for either a longer hike or a shorter hike. Our most challenging individual hikes were up Garfield peak (3 miles RT with about 1000 ft of climbing), Mt Scott (5 mi RT with about 1200 ft climbing) and Crater Peak (7 mi RT with about 1000 ft climbing).

Quote:
I guess they drove you to Crater Lake from the Diamond Lake Resort for the hikes?
Yep. It was about a 30-45 minute ride in a couple of well-maintained passenger vans to reach the various destinations. The rides were pleasant. Road work is being done on Rim Drive right now so we were delayed for about a half-hour one morning but it wasn't too bad.

Quote:
I think I'm good for a couple of hikes but not a week's worth.
Road Scholar has a few other programs in the Crater Lake / Southern OR vicinity that are less strenuous, check 'em out!

Quote:
Also kind of interested in staying at the Crater Lake Lodge. Or at least having a meal in that dining room with the views of the lake.
I stayed at Crater Lake Lodge the night before the program started. It was awesome.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #3162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks all for some great ideas ! Especially in RI and CT. Hadn't really thought of doing much in CT but it has moved much higher up the list. We do see a ton of fall colors here in Ontario so frankly I am pushing for the trip to include seeing more local sites and doing more things rather than just "leaf peeping" which we can do at home.

My wife has limited mobility so sadly the hikes are limited to ones I can do myself in a relatively short time. Looks to be a lot of options for that on this trip mind you.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #3163
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
DW has settled on a 2 week driving tour of New England for our autumn holiday in early October. We have taken an Airbnb cottage in Cape Cod for a week and then will drive around NH, VT, CT and RI for the remaining time. She wants to see Marthas Vineyard and some sort of festival in MA (I'm a little hazy on the details) and I want to go to Salem (right time of year, right ?) and a bit of hiking in Vermont. Any other ideas from New England locals ?
She has also bought us tickets to see a jack'o'lantern display in Providence, RI that looks like fun.
Coincidentally, this will be my first time in RI. It brings my state count now to 46/50 (missing WY, SD, HI, AL)
My province count is 7/10 (missing SK, MB, NL) and my territory count is 0/4.
They are FIRE goals to look forward to.

For NH....it depends on how much time and how far north you want to go.

1) You could head up Rte 16 (off I-95) to North Conway and then pick up Rte 302 through Glen, Bartlett, Crawford Notch. Then if you grabbed I-93 S, you would go through Franconia Notch....where you can no longer see the Man in the Mountain :-P. Lots of general stores, typical New England villages and beautiful scenery along the way. We haven't done that drive for a few years and will be taking a day and doing it this fall again.

2) If that's too far north, lots of people pick up the Kancamagus Highway in Conway (rte 112). Much of the drive runs along the Swift River and offers lots of leaf-peeping opportunities. You end up in Lincoln, NH, where I believe you could go up the Loon Mountain gondola, if you were interested. Might need to check their open dates, though.

3) And if that is still too far north, pick up Rte 11 off Rte 16 and head to Alton Bay where you can pick up the Mount Washington for a cruise around Lake Winnipesaukee. If the leaves are changing, it's a beautiful cruise on a fall afternoon. You can find their info at cruisenh.com

My recommendation would be to try and do #2 and #3. #1 is a beautiful drive, but my guess is you won't have enough time if you only have one week to cover RI, CT, and NH.....

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #3164

New Mexico

We leave Thursday for a 10 day trip to Santa Fe and Taos. I have made arrangements to fly a MiG 15 at the Jet Warbird Center in Santa Fe. We will also stop at Chimayo to get some of the miraculous dirt to heal us.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #3165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We leave Thursday for a 10 day trip to Santa Fe and Taos. I have made arrangements to fly a MiG 15 at the Jet Warbird Center in Santa Fe. We will also stop at Chimayo to get some of the miraculous dirt to heal us.
Try to time a great NM meal at Rancho De Chimayo Restaurante.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #3166
Dryer sheet aficionado

Going to Nice, France Oct-Feb for french immersion. Besides studying the language I'd really like to get some mountain biking in, but I'm having difficulty finding access online. Anyone else spent much time in that region? Any recommendations? Food, skiing, pubs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #3167

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Try to time a great NM meal at Rancho De Chimayo Restaurante.
Thank you!! Great menu. We will stop there for lunch on our way to Taos after visiting the cathedral
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #3168

I don't know anything about mountain biking up there.

Of course it's famous for the corniche roads that wind above the coast with stunning views. I don't know if there's room for bikes but it's pretty high traffic and I guess since it's paved, it would be more for road bikes if anything.

Otherwise, you can take the trains east and west, from Italy to St. Tropez and points beyond. The trains are great way to get around, with some great views, but they don't run as often as one might like. For instance, if you take the train to Monaco, I think they run maybe once an hour to and from.

Maybe with good weather, you can rent a car to get into the mountains, up to St. Paul/Vence, Eze and even further north or northwest. Gorges du Verdon, their Grand Canyon, offers kayaking in a gorgeous locale.

I don't have specific food recommendations. Obviously seafood is big, with things like bouillabaisse and paella. I'm not that into seafood. I didn't try the pizzas there with tuna and hard-boiled eggs, for instance.

The region is known for the later works of Picasso, Matisse and others. Museums I liked the best were Fondation Maeght and the Picasso museum in Antibes, more for the beautiful settings they were in than the works necessarily. There used to be this museum of art nouveau furnishings from some private collection up around Grasse but they've closed.

If you get tired of the mountains and the sea, you can go way west to Provence, where you could see roman ruins or beautiful mountain villages like Roussillon.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #3169
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you esplanade!!

Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #3170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
In case you are wondering if you should take part in the care free life of the Jet Set, take a look at this:

Thanks for this entertaining post. After 6 bargain-basement flights this summer, I should have auditioned for this.....

Old 09-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #3171
Dryer sheet aficionado

Freshly retired. Perhaps not FI but RE for sure. Tying up loose ends to get
mobile in a new to us old 28' Refurbished Holiday Rambler and 2016 F250
Tow vehicle. All paid for mind you.... debt free is a good thing.
Heading for the 87 y.o. parents digs 1800 miles away from home. Leaving
in the next 2 weeks or so.... Got info highway for camping sites enroute
at bottom feeder prices. Got Senior Pass for gov'mt facilities. Now that
everyday is Saturday this is One Great Adventure we are looking forward to. as expected cost of fuel and living is now going upward sheesh.
Last time I did an adventure I took my nephew off venice LA fishing.
The cost of fuel transitioned from 1.80 to over 2.80 a gallon. I am beginning to believe that these cost increases are inexplicably tied to my adventures.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:03 AM   #3172

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vertical View Post
Freshly retired. Perhaps not FI but RE for sure. Tying up loose ends to get
mobile in a new to us old 28' Refurbished Holiday Rambler and 2016 F250
Tow vehicle. All paid for mind you.... debt free is a good thing.
Heading for the 87 y.o. parents digs 1800 miles away from home. Leaving
in the next 2 weeks or so.... Got info highway for camping sites enroute
at bottom feeder prices. Got Senior Pass for gov'mt facilities. Now that
everyday is Saturday this is One Great Adventure we are looking forward to. as expected cost of fuel and living is now going upward sheesh.
Unless you're an experienced RV'er, you might want to consider taking a couple (or more) weekend trips to your local campground. You really need to learn your trailer and its systems before heading cross country.

And be sure that you have the wheel bearings freshly packed and the brakes properly adjusted before heading out.

And remember to "think like a truckdriver" when you're towing. It's not enough to watch your mirrors, but you've got to look right and left--but just as importantly up--when towing. (I learned the hard way on my 5 day old fifth wheel.)
Old 09-23-2016, 06:00 AM   #3173
Recycles dryer sheets

we took the vette to west va on a camping trip and just returned home last weekend. it was so much fun, i'm going back to the mountains next weekend for another 10 days, but by myself and on my bike this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0912161231.jpg (519.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0602161943.jpg (827.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #3174
Confused about dryer sheets

Crater Lake is beautiful! We hiked Mt. Scott. A bit scary at one point. I was shaking and clinging to the wall but I survived.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #3175

I am just waiting for my lobster lunch at Bar Harbor, Maine. 2 more cruise ships came in this morning. So we doubled the island population fot the day.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #3176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconk46044 View Post
Crater Lake is beautiful! We hiked Mt. Scott. A bit scary at one point. I was shaking and clinging to the wall but I survived.

On that note, here's a very helpful sign I encountered on that trail up Mount Scott.
I filed it under "No Sh** Sherlock"

The hike is well worth the effort.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #3177
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Going to Nice, France Oct-Feb for french immersion. Besides studying the language I'd really like to get some mountain biking in, but I'm having difficulty finding access online. Anyone else spent much time in that region? Any recommendations? Food, skiing, pubs, etc.

Just left there two days ago. Had a great time. There is tons to do. We stayed at Hotel Mercure Centre Grimaldi, and really lucked out because there were two fantastic restaurants just up Rue Grimaldi - Le Sejour Café and Mon Petit Café. Haute Cuisine at non-haute prices, reservations recommended. We also ate at La Maison Marie, a few blocks away, and that was also excellent - they serve some regional dishes and fine dining in general. We ate very, very well in Provence and Côte d'Azur. I'm sure, based on our experience that there must be tons of great places to eat, although there are also many tourist areas full of restaurants that probably serve less memorable meals.

I didn't notice any mountain bikers, but saw tons of road bikers going up very steep mountain roads (paved) - obviously a popular sport in the region. Looked really challenging to me! A guide mentioned the ski resorts and how accessible they were from Nice, so that should be easy.

Should be great! We were careful, but didn't have any problems with pickpockets, although we got harassed by a few beggars. We used the tram and bus system a lot. That was exciting - squeezed onto a few very, very crowded buses - and you had better hang on! But it made it very easy to get around, and we enjoyed the adventure. We visited quite a bit of the area surrounding Nice, and it was fabulous!
Old 09-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #3178
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spending a few days at Lake Lucerne, Switzerland next year.
Besides enjoying the old town, the Mt. Pilatus "Golden Roundtrip" is in the plan.

Anything else that might be highly recommended?
Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #3179

We really enjoyed the ferry ride around the lake. Also took the train to Zurich for a day.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #3180

Mt. Pilatus is really spectacular. I went one February and it was in the 60s in the city but still frozen at the top.

So you could see the green zone from Lake Lucern gradually giving way to snow-capped peaks.

Otherwise, I did take a short day trip via train to Bern.

Of course if you haven't been, Bernese Overland is a must, though it's not really a day trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9806 - Version 2.jpg (238.8 KB, 6 views)