Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #3201
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
Just got back from a 2 week trip to Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn and Copenhagen. We went on our own and took the Tallink ferries between Tallinn, Helsinki and Stockholm. I had been to Stockholm and Tallinn on a short trip in the 90's but not to the other cities.
hi! lucky you! i'm in love with Tallin so much. and i just wonder whether it has grown too different from what it was like back in the 90'? i was there 4 years ago and was literally blown away

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #3202
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliadream View Post
hi! lucky you! i'm in love with Tallin so much. and i just wonder whether it has grown too different from what it was like back in the 90'? i was there 4 years ago and was literally blown away
I have to admit that when I went there the first time it was on the Silja ferry so I only had a short amount of time there (10AM to 4PM). I don't know that the old town has changed as much as it has benefitted from 20 years of repairs to the old buildings and of course there are more restaurants and tourist shops. They still have a long way to go, if you turn off to side roads you see buildings that are in really rough shape. I think the old town is beautiful and makes for very pleasant walks.

We did some walking outside the old town and some of it seemed really nice with tree lined streets, other parts seemed kind of gritty which isn't surprising after all those years of occupation. I wanted to go see one of the suburbs based on gigantic Soviet apartment complexes but didn't make it there.

When you do go back to Tallinn I highly recommend taking the 2 hour ferry to Helsinki!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #3203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looking at a Barge trip in France next year. Considering taking the Queen Mary II to get there. Anyone taken this ship across?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #3204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Looking at a Barge trip in France next year. Considering taking the Queen Mary II to get there. Anyone taken this ship across?
Barge trips are fantastic. Check out French Waterways. The only comment I have about the QM2 is 5 formal nights.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #3205

Quote:
Yes, great experience.

We are also coming back from Southampton to NY on Nov 5th on the QM2. This will be our 3rd Cunard crossing (QE was the other liner we were on)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
The only comment I have about the QM2 is 5 formal nights.
Even the informal nights are jacket required, although if you don't dine in the formal restaurants you'll see a big variety of dress code. We once went to an "Indian Cuisine" evening instead of our assigned table on a formal night and we did see a young man in jeans, t-shirt and a wool hat with the name of a hockey team on it. (Plenty of others not in jacket and tie there as well even though formal nights are supposed to be for all restaurants).

I don't own a tuxedo so on formal nights use my lounge suit as do many others. Not a problem.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #3206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Barge trips are fantastic. Check out French Waterways. The only comment I have about the QM2 is 5 formal nights.
Formal nights not a problem for us. Bought a tux for daughter's wedding last year, so wouldn't mind wearing it again. Normally wouldn't bother with formal nights but if you have it, why not wear it? Would be taking daughter and SIL along with us and the first thing he mentioned was, " can I wear my tux".

We are looking at a Barge owned by Belmond (Orient Express). We would take the whole Barge. Looks outstanding.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #3207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes, great experience.

We are also coming back from Southampton to NY on Nov 5th on the QM2. This will be our 3rd Cunard crossing (QE was the other liner we were on)

Any tips on type of cabin, etc to book?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #3208
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
We once went to an "Indian Cuisine" evening instead of our assigned table on a formal night and we did see a young man in jeans, t-shirt and a wool hat with the name of a hockey team on it. (Plenty of others not in jacket and tie there as well even though formal nights are supposed to be for all restaurants).

I don't own a tuxedo so on formal nights use my lounge suit as do many others. Not a problem.
Our biggest problem is having enough variety because we see the same people every day. Formal dress makes it easier (just change the tie) but mix and match outfits are really essential.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Our biggest problem is having enough variety because we see the same people every day. Formal dress makes it easier (just change the tie) but mix and match outfits are really essential.
Oh, I know what you mean, I've been through it...."Which T-shirt to wear with which jeans today?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #3210
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Oh, I know what you mean, I've been through it...."Which T-shirt to wear with which jeans today?"
One of the reasons I don't pack distinctive tops. Unmemorable works!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #3211

My last big ship cruise(never again), I thought I looked rather dapper in a navy blue sport coat, white slacks, docksiders and a blue silver regimental striped necktie. Until Ms G pointed out that I looked like the waiters.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #3212

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I looked like the waiters.
Wow...you had waiters? The only crew member we got to see was the guy who banged the drum while we rowed.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #3213
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Things I learn on this forum--I had not heard the term "lounge suit" before, but Wikipedia tells me (and I plan to use the terms with my sartorial SIL who taught me "bespoke"):

Quote:
Lounge suits (also known as business suits when sober in colour and style), which originated in Britain as country wear,[1] are the most common style of Western suit. Other types of suit still worn today are the dinner suit, part of black tie, which arose as a lounging alternative to dress coats in much the same way as the day lounge suit came to replace frock coats and morning coats; and, rarely worn today, the morning suit.
I was thinking of the necktie this week and how it is being worn less frequently with a business suit and one day will be be considered as quaint as a frock coat (no doubt men posting here own few neckties!).
Old 10-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #3214

Are the cabins in the ship air conditioned?

If you cross in the summer, maybe it gets uncomfortable?

5 days out in the sea, cut off from the world is probably not something I'd be interested in though.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
(no doubt men posting here own few neckties!).
My suits and ties were all left hanging in a closet in Riyadh, and I have zero desire to wear either again........however, suits without ties are an abomination.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #3216
Give me a forum ...

I'm planning a week to 10 days in SW Florida. Plan to go to Corkscrew Swamp, Ding Darling Reserve on Sanibel, Shark Valley at the Everglades National Park and the Edison / Ford Botanical Gardens. Any thing else I should see along these lines?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

5 days out in the sea, cut off from the world is probably not something I'd be interested in though.
It's a modern ship, the old one sunk.

After you have been cut off a few times, you realize the world carries on, and will carry on just fine after you are gone.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #3218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
After you have been cut off a few times, you realize the world carries on, and will carry on just fine after you are gone.
I've always thought of it as the world being cut off, while I'm temporarily unavailable for comment.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #3219

I had been on an island primitive camping situation, when a few States (Ohio, etc) and Ontario had a gigantic blackout for a few days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe...ackout_of_2003

When I returned to the close city, I found there was no power anywhere, so it was just like continuing to camp.
It was amusing that everyone was going through this trauma, no tv, no internet, and I had no clue about it, until I returned.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #3220

Quote:
Any tips on type of cabin, etc to book?
When we do "The Crossing" we just go for an inside cabin since there is no scenery to see apart from the start and end and then we go out on deck. There are great bargains to be had on these inside cabins since The Crossing is either the leg at the end of a long cruise after loads of passengers have been dropped off in NYC, or at the start of a long cruise before loads of passengers are picked up in NYC. This November our cabins have cost $800 each to NYC, in 2013 they cost $500 each from NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Things I learn on this forum--I had not heard the term "lounge suit" before, but Wikipedia tells me (and I plan to use the terms with my sartorial SIL who taught me "bespoke"):

I was thinking of the necktie this week and how it is being worn less frequently with a business suit and one day will be be considered as quaint as a frock coat (no doubt men posting here own few neckties!).
Despite almost 30 years living in the USA I forget that words like "bespoke" and "lounge suit" are not common.

I spent my last 2 years of work in Megacorp on a manufacturing site where ties were never seen even by the CEO or Chairman when they paid a visit. One time when the chairman was visiting he was actually wearing a tie but after a while he said that he was only doing so because Fortune Magazine had voted him the worst dressed Executive in the country. Eventually he took it off and asked if someone wanted a tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

The cabins are most certainly air conditioned with each room having its own thermostat.

We find the onboard entertainment and activities to be really good for trips with several days at sea, including excellent lecturers. On the last QM2 trip we did the performers included the Royal Shakespeare Company and the London Philharmonic orchestra conducted by that year's Last Night at the Proms musician.