Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #3381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking Hallstatt too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #3382
Recycles dryer sheets

In Jan will be escaping vermont cold to go biking in a town near puerto Vallarta Mx called Bucerias. I've never been to that part of Mexico but more than ready for some sun, warmth and hopefully some nice cycling in the countryside.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #3383
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At the end of April Amsterdam for kings Day , a standing Gig At Melo Mellow and Susie's . It is always so much fun seeing all of the U S musicians on the aircraft going for the celebration . We have friends who own a B&B on Niewendijk in Amsterdam so our stay works out to 65.00 EU a night . Not big , but safe and clean. Kind of funny on KLM if you are carrying your guitar on board you immediately go to the front of the line . They place your guitar in a special bulkhead. Then Key West at the end of October FF. Ready to go !
Old 12-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #3384
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
If you are renting a car, you might consider St. Gilgen/St. Wolfgang which is about 20 miles east of Salzburg. Stay at Hotel Park Billroth and ask for a corner room which overlooks Lake Wolfgang.
That room you had looks great. We are not renting a car on this trip. Maybe next trip with more of a stay in Germany.

I've heard that Hallstatt is getting a bit over done. We are there for 2 nights only at Hotel Gruner Baum which is the priciest place on our trip. We can look out on the lake and we have a balcony. My thinking is on the full 2nd day to take a hike and so be out of town. The bus tourists should be gone later in the day.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #3385
Give me a forum ...

How will you get out to Hallstatt without a car?

Tourist bus will have room for luggage?
Old 12-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #3386
Give me a forum ...

We enjoyed our 3 nights in Hallstatt. By 5pm the tourists are mostly gone and it's nice. We really enjoyed one of the restaurants there. One day we did the mine tour with Bronze Age displays and enjoyed a boat ride on the lake. Plenty of time to explore the town. The next day we took a bus over to the neighboring town that had a gondola ride way up into the alps and enjoyed an ice cave tour plus hiking up near the peaks. It was a sunny clear day and we had great views from the top of the world. There were also some hikes on one side of town.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #3387
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

Train + boat. See the Rick Steves Austria book for more detail.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #3388
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

Train and ferry combo - it was easy and very scenic.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #3389
Recycles dryer sheets

Heading off to Berlin for Christmas, then Prague for New Years. Ten days each place, then going to London for three weeks. Stopping for a couple of weeks in Chicago on the way home to the Pacific Northwest.

Going from cold to colder, but that's part of the fun of winter travel. No driving on this trip, should all be walking and public transport.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #3390
gone traveling

trying to plan a trip to Mexico...
Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #3391

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
Heading off to Berlin for Christmas, then Prague for New Years. Ten days each place, then going to London for three weeks. Stopping for a couple of weeks in Chicago on the way home to the Pacific Northwest.

Going from cold to colder, but that's part of the fun of winter travel. No driving on this trip, should all be walking and public transport.
Off-season travel in Europe has always been enjoyable for me (and certainly cheaper and less crowded). In fact, one of my most memorable trips was ten days in Iceland in January, a long time ago. It was a business trip, but I had a very good time.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #3392
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Going to FL for a week and then hop on a Western Caribbean Cruise for 7 days. Going to see some of the Mayan Ruins in Belize and (mexico ?) on excursions.
Will probably sign up for the Cruise ship tour, as I read trip advisor reports of people taking cheap shore tours, and when it worked it was great, but when it failed it was bad to horrible or didn't even get to go.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #3393
Full time employment: Posting here.

I usually take a ~6 week trip during April and May, the hottest time of the year in my part of Thailand. Next year will be 2 spring trips. First is 2 weeks in Australia in March, the beginning of the Fall in Sydney, Melbourne and nearby. Never been down under, this should be fun.

Second trip is 3 weeks in Portugal starting late April. Never been there either. From Portugal fly to Paris for a week, then home. I had 2 & 3 night layovers in Paris on my Oct trip to the US this year. Given the number of airlines serving Bangkok and Europe, I can easily imagine wanting to arrive or depart with a Paris layover for any trip to Europe.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #3394
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post

Second trip is 3 weeks in Portugal starting late April.
Make sure to include Porto on your itinerary.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #3395
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Make sure to include Porto on your itinerary.
Wouldn't miss it.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #3396
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post

My last 2 trips to Europe returned through Orlando. Sure beats Chicago in the winter.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #3397
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
In mid August we are going to the Netherlands (Haarlem and Amsterdam) for 12 days and then to Munich, Salzburg, Hallstatt and Vienna for another 15 days. That's 6 hotels in 27 days which seems like a decent pace for us.

We've not been to these countries before so this should be very entertaining and hopefully enlightening.
You've picked a very good itinerary. I assume you're flying Amsterdam-Munich?

I've been to Hallstadt 1x, but many times to the other cities. These are some of the great cities of the world.

I've got a great 79 Euro B&B in Vienna city center we first stayed in 18 years ago. PM me if interested.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #3398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Just got back from ten days in Kampala. Great weather and people. Long flights!
Just noticed your post, and it reminded me of a layover I had in Entebbe in 1969, (when the Wizard of Id(i) was in power); there was a large billboard to the effect that It is illegal to take photographs of planes of the Royal Ugandan Air Force, (or somesuch)..........I'm sure there were other, newer, aircraft, but the ones visible looked as if they belonged to (Peter Sellers') "The Duchy of Grand Fenwick".

I didn't take a pic.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #3399
Give me a forum ...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1815739
Figured this, #116, (and subsequent/related posts in this offshoot), are more apropos in the travel thread.

As a possible alternative to the Civitavecchia transatlantic, we're also looking at perhaps flying into Paris, taking the train to Bern, (although I have been through Switzerland many decades ago I've never been to Bern, and would appreciate feedback on whether it's worth a visit), and from Bern working our way to Barcelona to catch the Rhapsody of The Seas on November 05, 2017.

Everything, as is our modus operandi, is subject to change on a whim, or upon the discovery of new information.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #3400
Give me a forum ...

Only did a day trip to Bern from Luzern on a drizzly day.

Pretty compact, scenic center.

Beyond that I remember some nice views from the train approaching it from the east.

I don't know what's around Bern but Luzern has some nice sights close by, like Pilatus.
Closed Thread