Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #3641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Are they pretty similar?
No, each is quite unique, though they each have a communist past.

Prague is like the Disney of cities, with pretty fairytale castles and turrets. Lots of street performance and a plethora of musical offerings. It has been "discovered" for some time, and can be crowded. Lots of places to see outside the city.

Budapest is perhaps more classical in its architecture, very elegant, though decadent too. Also a very cultured city. I highly recommend the Parliament Building, Fisherman's Bastion, Jewish Museum, Dohany Street Synagogue, House of Terror and Statue Park. Budapest is a little more economical.

I could happily spend a week in either city. It would be difficult to choose one over the other.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #3642
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I could happily spend a week in either city. It would be difficult to choose one over the other.
+1 We chose Budapest by a relatively narrow margin.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #3643
Give me a forum ...

We went to Prague together, but my wife has been to Budapest on a separate trip.

Now that we are retired, the next time we go to Eastern Europe, will revisit both. No choice needed.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #3644
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I might do 4 days in Prague and 4 days in Budapest. I might have to lengthen my trip. I was planning 8 weeks but it could be 9 weeks now. But I like to do two weeks in Italy. 1 week in Switzerland. 1 week in Netherlands because I want to see Van Gogh and Rembrand museums. Now that I'm taking my art class, I have much better appreciation for these masters paintings and techniques. And then 4 weeks in UK. Too many things to see and do. Such a dilemma.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #3645
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I might do 4 days in Prague and 4 days in Budapest. I might have to lengthen my trip. I was planning 8 weeks but it could be 9 weeks. But I like to do two weeks in Italy. 1 week in Switzerland. 1 week in Netherlands, I need to see Van Gogh and Rembrand museums, now that I'm taking my art class, I have much better appreciation for these masters paintings and techniques. And then 4 weeks in UK. Too many things to see and do. Such a dilemma.
Good plan! When I was in Prague in 2014, there was a gallery on the main square that had a (permanent?) exhibition of art by Alphonse Mucha, with a (temporary?) exhibition of works by Salvador Dali. Definitely worth an hour of my time.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #3646
Give me a forum ...

I didn't visit anywhere outside of Prague but there may be interesting day trip options?

Of course Cesky Krumlov is a UNESCO Heritage attraction but it's 180 km from Prague, a 3-5 hour bus ride.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #3647
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Of course Cesky Krumlov is a UNESCO Heritage attraction but it's 180 km from Prague, a 3-5 hour bus ride.
Train's a little better than 5 hours:

Day trip from Prague to Cesky Krumlov by train, €15, £13, $17

Quote:
New direct train! There's now a direct train to Cesky Krumlov, leaving Prague Hlavni at 08:02 & arriving Český Krumlov at 10:50.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #3648

Quote:
I didn't visit anywhere outside of Prague but there may be interesting day trip options?

+1 Cesky K. We hired an excellent private guide (Oldfiska Balouskova--email oldriskab@gmail.com) who is a life long resident and professionally trained. She works for most of the major tour groups but was readily available in Oct. CK is really exceptional--the only castle never to be bombed or attacked so it is pretty much in its original state as when constructed in 1600's (?). Not a huge castle so you can enjoy without being exhausted with "one more" stone room. Hired a driver from the Prague Shuttle (turned out to be owner) for the day trip. Entire day was less than $300 US.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #3649

Near Prague you simply must visit Kutna Hora.

The ossuary and the church are both well worth your time.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #3650
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Near Prague you simply must visit Kutna Hora.

The ossuary and the church are both well worth your time.
+1

We stayed in a downtown Prague hotel, and walked to the bus station to take a bus to Kutna Hora. Walked through town, and the Bone Church was the last stop, before taking the train back at the end of this day trip.

It was raining when we got out of the church when they close it. So, we walked around in the dark and rain, looking for the train station. We only had a paper map, and no GPS (there were no smartphones then).

We went to Prague in late November (or was it early December) to take advantage of an airline ticket sale. The days were so short that it got dark soon after 4PM, if my memory serves, and we could not do a whole lot. So, no more winter trips for me, even if tickets are cheap. Spring and fall will be much better times to go.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #3651
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Cesky Krumlov is a day trip from Prague. I didn't go there, but friends who did said it was beautiful. I did visit Terezin, site of the infamous concentration camp and Potemkin village. It was intense but very interesting.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #3652

I plan to see a lot of castles in England, thanks to Netflix and its great British Castles show.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #3653
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I plan to see a lot of castles in England, thanks to Netflix and its great British Castles show.
The Edward I castles in Wales are well worth visiting also.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #3654
Give me a forum ...

Forgot to say, Kutna Hora and Sedlec, the latter the location of the Bone Church, are also a UNESCO Heritage Site. I knew of Cesky Krumlov, but did not have time to visit. So, I have got to come back.

Yep, one visit to most places is never enough. Some places in the US, we have visited more than half a dozen times, and can still find something new to do. I certainly have not visited foreign places that many times. This upcoming trip, we will be together in Paris for the 3rd time. It will be the 4th time for my wife (but she never remembers in details all the places that she has been, not having my "superior" memory).

Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #3655

I'm glad I went to a Paris with my husband before I got married. It was in the winter, I had lovely roasted chestnuts, chocolate crepe, 9-course New Year Eve dinner. I loved the large tulips that I purchased for 99 Fr. I've been back a few more times since but it's not the same.
But I've been to England for about 15-20 times but have never been to Stonehenge. Maybe I'll manage to do that on my next trip. So I don't plan to see everything, I want to leave a little bit for me to come back.
But it depends on the place. I've spent 3 days on the Colloseum alone. I'm still in awe of that place, especially with the movie Gladiator flashing through my mind as I was touring the place.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #3656

Heading to the Galapagos, so will most likely be out of internet access for a couple of weeks. Cameras, binoculars, snorkels, etc. all set. May post a few pictures when we get back. One of those "trip of a lifetime" deals, I think.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #3657

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Heading to the Galapagos, so will most likely be out of internet access for a couple of weeks. Cameras, binoculars, snorkels, etc. all set. May post a few pictures when we get back. One of those "trip of a lifetime" deals, I think.
Be safe, have fun
Old 05-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #3658
Give me a forum ...

We just booked an All Inclusive resort in Playa del Carmen for our 30th and DW's
Birthday as they fall within a week of each other 8 nights total. we booked not for December.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #3659
Full time employment: Posting here.

Booked our Annual Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. Waiting to book Party of the Senses....Adult Disney...Love it......Hopefully will see Jefferson Starship at Eat to the Beat Concerts....
Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #3660

Going to Wooster, Ohio this weekend to watch DS graduate from college. This represents the end of 12 consecutive years of paying for college for DD1, DD2, and DS. We thought we were through, but we've decided to help DS with his master's for the next two years at Ohio State.
Closed Thread