Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #3661
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rebooked Beaches Turks and Caicos today. It will be our 8th time there. Had to move it from our usual last week in July due to DS2 attending Air Force ROTC boot camp.

Great place but supply and demand is working too well. It has increased by something like $500 each year for our family every year. Next year will probably be our last as the kids aren't really kids any more.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #3662
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We will soon be taking a Viking River Cruise, first river cruise.
We will be in Budapest, and just watched the movie "walking with the enemy" which is based on history during WWII and takes place in Budapest.
So it will be fun to see the buildings that were in the movie. The movie was good.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #3663
Recycles dryer sheets

I just booked a Canada New England cruise for fall of 2018 for DH and myself. Plan is to fly to Montreal and stay 3 nights, take train/bus to Quebec City and stay 4 nights and then hop on cruise for a week and a half. Can't wait and already researching things to do, hotels, etc.

Went on a previous Canada New England cruise, but didn't go as far as Quebec City.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #3664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
I just booked a Canada New England cruise for fall of 2018 for DH and myself. Plan is to fly to Montreal and stay 3 nights, take train/bus to Quebec City and stay 4 nights and then hop on cruise for a week and a half. Can't wait and already researching things to do, hotels, etc.

Went on a previous Canada New England cruise, but didn't go as far as Quebec City.
Sounds great.
Your USD will go farther due to the very favorable exchange rate.
I flew out of the Montreal airport a long time ago.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Departing.html
Old 05-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #3665
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Sounds great.
Your USD will go farther due to the very favorable exchange rate.
I flew out of the Montreal airport a long time ago.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Departing.html
Thanks for the link!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #3666

When my kids came back this weekend for Mother's Day, I gave all of my AA miles to the youngest child. She was thinking of booking her trip to Europe using the cheap air like WOW but the return trip was much more expensive than she was willing to spend, so I gave her 65,000 miles from AA to book any time return trip from Europe. This was the miles I was thinking of spending for part of my Japan trip. So I now have to go get more miles for my Japan trip.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #3667
Give me a forum ...

I'd be wary about getting a lot of AA miles.

They are the hardest airline to redeem miles for tickets.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #3668

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I'd be wary about getting a lot of AA miles.

They are the hardest airline to redeem miles for tickets.
Not to me so far, as long as I avoid London. I paid $45 for flight from BCN to LAX. This same flight costs $2600 on Google flight. WOW was $700 something.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #3669
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just booked to Slovenia for 8 nights in late July, renting a car and touring the country. Of course, we have researched and know the highlights. Any first hand experience or recommendations?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #3670

Just got back from a week of visiting in the Tampa area. Record heat! Was nice getting together with old friends.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #3671
Give me a forum ...

Finally booked our flights to Amsterdam this summer. Planning on a nice long stay > 6 weeks. Our nephews will be out of school so fun times in the summer! Amsterdam is a lot cooler than south Texas in August, and a lot cooler than most areas south in Europe too, even Paris!

Working hard on that Dutch.....
Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #3672

Love Amsterdam!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:07 PM   #3673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Love Amsterdam!
It's our 5th year in a row visiting Amsterdam. Fortunately our OV-chipkaarts haven't expired yet!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #3674
Full time employment: Posting here.

Starting to set up a LA trip with DGF. Need to see the Dan Gurney exhibit at the Peterson Automotive Museum. He's the guy who first sprayed champagne after winning a race (Le Mans, 1967) and had an amazing career as a racer, car builder and race team owner. Last trip to the Petersen was in 1998, and there have been a lot of changes recently. DGF is a Cali girl, so there will be a few other stops while we're there.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #3675

I think The Beach Boys have to come out with a new song, it's going to be called Cali girls, because right now we only have California girls.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #3676
Give me a forum ...

We're about traveled out after 4 trips to Europe in 3 years.

And I've got little desire to go on ocean cruises after our recent transatlantic trip Ft. Lauderdale-Rome. There are few places we've not been to by cruise ship--and we are really tired of cruising the Caribbean and especially Mexico.

We intend to eventually start traveling in the U.S. on 2-3 week road trips to faraway places.

We are going to take our grandkids to our RV in the NE Georgia mountains where we can take them tubing and hit a few waterfalls. We're also going to stay out our lake house 18 miles from home about every Summer weekend.

We do plan on trailering our 24' boat to Chattanooga and taking 2 days cruising down the Tennessee River home--staying in a Hampton Inn that has a boat dock.

Now if I can just get my wife to keep her nose out of the budget travel websites.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #3677
Moderator Emeritus

I'm seriously thinking about the Galapagos.... Have a European trip and a Florida beach vacation coming up but open after that.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #3678
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I think The Beach Boys have to come out with a new song, it's going to be called Cali girls, because right now we only have California girls.
And I thought you said "Call girls"
Old 05-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #3679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
And I've got little desire to go on ocean cruises after our recent transatlantic trip Ft. Lauderdale-Rome. There are few places we've not been to by cruise ship--and we are really tired of cruising the Caribbean and especially Mexico.

Was the transatlantic trip not good, or boring, or too long, or something else that has reduced your desire ?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #3680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Well, I got a nice surprise this morning. I know DW has been planning a trip for us and this morning she laid the details on me. It is kind of a delayed honeymoon/first anniversary present (we've been together 19 years but only married 1.5 .. We like to proceed at things cautiously..)
She has arranged it around ticking off a bucket list item for me. So, we fly into Paris and spend 4 days there. Then we take the Eurostar first class over to London. Then we rent a car and head to a rented cottage in Wales for a week and finally back to London for 4 days.
Well, back from the honeymoon... Quite enjoyable overall. Highlights would be the the Eurostar trip and St. Pancras, driving around the southern Welsh countryside and visiting my aunt in hospital in Carmarthen.

DWs planning was very good and smooth. The actual travelling was tough on her but we planned several down days where she just got to rest and it ended well that way.

And in a significant departure from my lifelong skinflint ways, I upgraded us to business class. It made a big difference in how DW felt on arrival in CDG.
Air Canada has a separate website where you can place bids to upgrade to biz class (subject to space). I put in a bid (it tells you based on previous bids if your bid is low or high) and we were successful. Not sure if other airlines have that (since I haven't heard of it before) but at least for the eastbound (overnight) flights, I think it was totally worth it.

We are discussing if she would be able/up to going back next year (just to the UK) and for a longer period of time (I have other aunts/uncles I want to see before it might be to late). She thinks if her condition remains the same she would be up for it. Provided I upgrade us again. I have created a monster...