Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Spent the day yesterday in Montmartre and Place Pigale.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

December 9th is our next trip. I'm an avid Oakland Raiders fan. We attend a Raider game in a different city each year...this will be our 9th. It will probably be very cold in Green Bay on December 11th.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #363
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I'm flying to Denver next Thursday (9/22/11) and heading up to Rocky Mtn. National Park until Tuesday. I haven't been there since 1975. If the forecast is correct we will have nice sunny weather and around 70 degrees at the lower altitudes.
Make sure you bring warm cloths, Helen. It won't be 70 in RMNP. I was just up there last weekend and it was quite cool. It might get to 70 in Estes Park, probably cooler in Grand Lake - depending on which side of the park you come from. Have fun. This is my favorite place in the Rocky's.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #364

Going to Kansas City in October to visit our son's family.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
December 9th is our next trip. I'm an avid Oakland Raiders fan. We attend a Raider game in a different city each year...this will be our 9th. It will probably be very cold in Green Bay on December 11th.
Do you walk around town with your face painted black and silver? The Raiders came here to beat us in a recent exhibition game, and the town was full of middle aged people made up with silver and black faces. Dedicated fans!

Likely any strong high school team coujld beat the Seahawks this year, or at least shut down our offense.

Ha
Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you walk around town with your face painted black and silver? The Raiders came here to beat us in a recent exhibition game, and the town was full of middle aged people made up with silver and black faces. Dedicated fans!

Likely any strong high school team coujld beat the Seahawks this year, or at least shut down our offense.

Ha
No face paint, but I do wear full Raider gear/clothes.

Many people tell me that's "dangerous", but I've found that if you're a respectful person, you'll have no issues. We've gone to 8 cities thus far, and not a single fight yet. The closest we came was in Kansas City...a few of their fans were deriding us heavily as we walked out (Raiders won the game), and then when we would not respond to them...they started following us and yell slurs at us. We just ignored them.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
No face paint, but I do wear full Raider gear/clothes.

Many people tell me that's "dangerous", but I've found that if you're a respectful person, you'll have no issues. We've gone to 8 cities thus far, and not a single fight yet. The closest we came was in Kansas City...a few of their fans were deriding us heavily as we walked out (Raiders won the game), and then when we would not respond to them...they started following us and yell slurs at us. We just ignored them.
Well, it is totally safe in Seattle, but not so sure about other places. Some pretty ugly events involving out of town fans in the last few years.

Clearly it has worked for you, but I wouldn't put too much reliance on your good behavior as being controlling. Plenty nice polite people get beat up.

But I really hadn't thought of this aspect. The face point can be interesting on a cute woman.

Ha
Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #368
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I are headed to New Hampshire in mid Oct. to visit friends and do some leaf peeping. Here in Houston it's still in the 90's most days so some cooler weather will be very refreshing.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #369

DW and I are headed to Buenos Aires for a weekend of Steak & Tango, October we travel up to Talara for a wedding and to check on some farmland in Piura she is selling.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #370
Recycles dryer sheets

A swing through MO for friends' 50th, then down through NM and AR to see new sights with them ( our 43rd year). Then back to the midwest. Close up grandma's house for the winter. Then to Miami - fly to Rome and take the cruise ship back to FL. By then - off to Grandma's for Thanksgiving. Whew!!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #371
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, it is totally safe in Seattle, but not so sure about other places. Some pretty ugly events involving out of town fans in the last few years.

Clearly it has worked for you, but I wouldn't put too much reliance on your good behavior as being controlling. Plenty nice polite people get beat up.

But I really hadn't thought of this aspect. The face point can be interesting on a cute woman.

Ha
So can body paint.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Going back to Guatemala and El Salvador November 29. Will be part of a medical mission there. We will use a mobile clinic to see patients. Thank you to those on this website who have offered to send medicines to our hotel there. We will make good use of them.
El Salvador has some of the friendliest people in the world, in my opinion. I've been deployed there a lot over the past couple of years. Make sure you try some fresh pupusas with plenty of pickled cabbage on top!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
Make sure you bring warm cloths, Helen. It won't be 70 in RMNP. I was just up there last weekend and it was quite cool. It might get to 70 in Estes Park, probably cooler in Grand Lake - depending on which side of the park you come from. Have fun. This is my favorite place in the Rocky's.
Thanks, Packman. I am bringing layers of clothing. I am really looking forward to this trip. The elk are rutting now. I'm hoping to see a lot of wildlife.

I've changed our plans a little. I scored the very last campsite at Moraine Park Campground in Estes Park. I'll test out my new 20 degree down bag. It seems weird to put a tent and sleeping bag in a suitcase, but I don't want to send my new backpack through the airport luggage system.

After RMNP, we are heading to Glenwood Springs for two nights and staying in a camper cabin:

http://www.glenwoodcanyonresort.com/camper_cabins.html

They look cute and they are a step up from a tent.

We'll do a day trip to the maroon bells for some hiking. Plus, someone I knew from junior high and recently hooked up with on Facebook lives in Glenwood Springs. I am hoping to take her out to dinner on Saturday night.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #374
Gone but not forgotten

I'm taking a trip up to New York state to visit my DD,SIL and grandson and check out the fall foliage .In November my SO & I are travelling to Savannah via Amelia Island .
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #375
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'm taking a trip up to New York state to visit my DD,SIL and grandson and check out the fall foliage.
Here's the latest forecast for your "leaf tour":

BTW, DW (who is currently traveling with another woman, in Switzerland for two weeks) called me from the train (Glacier Express) on Monday to let me know that they were delayed for a few hours due to early snow (1M - about 3 feet) on one of the passes which took down some trees onto the track.

Luckly, they didn't have to worry about the "Donner Pass" experience ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400x266_09201649_averagefoliagepeak.jpg (32.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #376
Give me a forum ...

We're going to take DD and DGD to Disney (Orlando) for a long weekend in Feb for DGD's 6th birthday. I'm not a big fan of amusement parks, but we took DD there at that age and she had a blast. I think it's the sweet spot for that sort of thing. Enough endurance to last through it, enough awareness to appreciate it, and young enough not to be a total PITA the whole time, unlike older kids.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #377
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yesterday we drifted down the Dordogne River towards Bordeaux. Weather was perfect.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

I'm planning a winter getaway - a Caribbean cruise in January. I have a bunch of frequent flyer points that will expire soon, and I am using them to pay for the cruise. The port of embarkation is Fort Lauderdale. I plan to arrive a day or two early, unwind and visit the Everglades. Any specific suggestions?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #379

Just finished booking arrangements for 2 weeks in Costa Rica. 1 week in the mountains, 1 week on the Pacific. Ms G. is taking a cooking class,seems a long way to go for that. I have lots of down time and birding planned.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #380
Give me a forum ...

Left the Olympic Peninsula on 9/15 and now made it to Longmont Colorado area. We made stops Portland/Astoria, Pendleton/Walla Walla, and Bear Lake area on the way. Now waiting for south TX to cool off - that might take a while. Probably run up to Estes Park tomorrow for some scenic mountain driving.

Audrey