Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #3801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got 38. Credits for Canary Islands and Spain, and for Madeira and Portugal. And a day trip into Paraguay. This methodology is generous!

Like NWBound, I will never reach 100, nor will I ever compete with the globetrotting Nemo2. But it's not a competition, so it's all good!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #3802
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
At a quick count, (may have missed one or two), I'm at 82...but then I've been wrong before.
Having recounted, 82 appears to be correct......I'd better get moving.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #3803
Gone but not forgotten

I do not consider myself well traveled but I am at 43 . Mostly due to the Caribbean islands.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #3804
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm headed to Iceland next month and just booked a day trip from there to Greenland. One more country to add to my list!
Wow, that seems like a really long distance for a day trip! I would love to hear what you think of both places. I recommend two books that feature Greenland - "No one Thinks of Greenland" and "Smilla's Sense of Snow".
Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #3805
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
Wow, that seems like a really long distance for a day trip! I would love to hear what you think of both places. I recommend two books that feature Greenland - "No one Thinks of Greenland" and "Smilla's Sense of Snow".
It's only a 2-hour flight and it's out of Reykjavik airport, which is very close to town. Thanks for the book recommendations!

For the record, my country count using the list I cited is 33.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #3806

Do you count a country it if you were flying, and only stopped for fuel? I've always said "no, unless you leave the airport, you haven't been there". The great circle took me to Reykjavík, but must go back to "get credit".
Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #3807

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Do you count a country it if you were flying, and only stopped for fuel? I've always said "no, unless you leave the airport, you haven't been there". The great circle took me to Reykjavík, but must go back to "get credit".
Yes, the TCC criteria say that refueling stops count as a visit.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #3808

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, the TCC criteria say that refueling stops count as a visit.
You knew it would happen: a poll to record the number of countries you've been to.

Talking about the poll, I need to edit the ground rules to allow for stopovers!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #3809
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It's only a 2-hour flight and it's out of Reykjavik airport, which is very close to town. Thanks for the book recommendations!

For the record, my country count using the list I cited is 33.
Wow, I had no idea it was that short a flight. Are you going to Nuuk?
Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #3810
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Having recounted, 82 appears to be correct......I'd better get moving.
It would appear, given the parameters outlined in the associated poll, I'm currently at 89 countries......all being well, as of October 23, when we're scheduled to land in Sofia, Bulgaria, it'll be 90.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #3811
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just looked at website and found out I'm at 87, and I still haven't been to Hawaii. Between Greenland and Iceland I enjoyed the former more than the latter, but I lean towards the outdoors and not so much nightlife and overpriced food and spirits. If you want to see icebergs the west coast of Greenland is the place to go and late spring/early summer is the time.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #3812
Full time employment: Posting here.

Taking off for Natchez, MS tomorrow morning - for two nights. A short trip for our 37th anniversary. I booked a place on Air BnB within walking distance of downtown sites and saw last night that thunderstorms are predicted for Saturday (100% probability).

It's gonna be a great trip, however/whatever.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #3813
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So we're divers and right now have booked Bonaire in October, St. Lucia in April, and Turks and Caicos next July. It will be our third time in Bonaire, first in St. Lucia, and 9th in Ts&Cs.

DW loved visiting New England last year (Newport and New Bedford) so we'll probably do that again soon as well. A European river cruise is no my near-term list as well.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 07-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #3814
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got confirmation from my sister for a trip to Mexico in late Winter. She will celebrate her 70th birthday by putting us all (sisters and spouses) up at a lovely small hotel outside a small fishing village north of Ixtapa. We just pay for the flights and food and taxi to the hotel. Stayed there last year for a yoga retreat with the same sister. Beautiful place-so looking forward to the trip. We get a lot of rain in the Winter, and some Mexico sun and body surfing will be a welcome break from the gloom!
Old 07-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #3815
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
Just got confirmation from my sister for a trip to Mexico in late Winter. She will celebrate her 70th birthday by putting us all (sisters and spouses) up at a lovely small hotel outside a small fishing village south of Ixtapa. We just pay for the flights and food and taxi to the hotel. Stayed there last year for a yoga retreat with the same sister. Beautiful place-so looking forward to the trip. We get a lot of rain in the Winter, and some Mexico sun and body surfing will be a welcome break from the gloom!
Zihuatanejo?

Old 07-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #3816
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Zihuatanejo?
Troncones. Shhh, don't tell anyone. Too many gringos there already
Old 07-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #3817
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
Troncones. Shhh, don't tell anyone. Too many gringos there already
I shall not breathe a word.

(I recall visiting Ixtapa in the early-mid 1970s when the Mexican government had just started building it up as a resort....only a couple/few hotels there at that time.)

Old 07-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #3818
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I shall not breathe a word.

(I recall visiting Ixtapa in the early-mid 1970s when the Mexican government had just started building it up as a resort....only a couple/few hotels there at that time.)
We didn't spend any time in either Ixtapa or Zihua, but they looked built up from a distance. Just took a taxi from the airport to Troncones. We did a day trip to Ixtapa Island for some swimming and snorkling (I failed at snorkling-maybe try it again next time) It was fun taking a fishing boat from Troncones down the coast to Ixtapa. We may or may not rent a car this time and take a trip to the big city for some shopping. Otherwise, I shall be content to swim, read, walk and drink margueritas
Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #3819
Moderator Emeritus

After Googling Troncones, looks like the place has been "found"!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #3820
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Taking off for Natchez, MS tomorrow morning - for two nights. A short trip for our 37th anniversary. I booked a place on Air BnB within walking distance of downtown sites and saw last night that thunderstorms are predicted for Saturday (100% probability).

It's gonna be a great trip, however/whatever.
This is probably too late for you.

Loved the mansions, particularly incomplete Longwood. But have to recognize how they got built.

Went over to AR & visited cotton gin farm.
Closed Thread