Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We got to PV for the season last Saturday. Still pretty hot but we know it will cool off in a couple of weeks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #422
Recycles dryer sheets

When I first called VacationsToGo in early Oct for this Jan 2 cruise, it was about $200 less than when we booked it at the end of Oct. i.e. the cost went up by about $200 within 3 weeks.

I noticed that the lowest price was early Oct, then went up 1 week later, then 3 weeks later. Now I checked it again, it went up again.

In comparison, the cost is about $300 more than the early Oct.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #423
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It is not uncommon for cruise prices to go up and down. You can get a price decrease or sometimes the category pricing is changed and you can get an upgrade. We deal with an on line TA so we have to check the prices ourself.

If you see a price decrease (outside of the cancellation window), jump on it immediately and get the cruise repriced. We have seen prices go down for one or two days, and then back up.

We will only deal with on line TA's who have the cruise ship charge our credit card (vs the agency), do not charge for cancellations, and do not charge for repricing. Additionally, we usually expect a TA provided on board credit equal to anywhere from 8 to 12 percent of the base fare, ie fare before taxes.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #424
Recycles dryer sheets

We were first given $25 OBC from the on line TA, but after talking with her a a few minutes, she gave me $50 OBC if I booked with her. So we took it and booked the cruise with her.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #425
Full time employment: Posting here.

Taking a past mid-night flight to Barcelona tonight. It's gonna be a long flight from Hong Kong. Looking forward to a good holiday.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Taking a past mid-night flight to Barcelona tonight. It's gonna be a long flight from Hong Kong. Looking forward to a good holiday.
That sounds like a great holiday. Enjoy that trip, eat well and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #427
Recycles dryer sheets

Road Trip cross the USA

Senior RV.jpg

Need level roads.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #428

Heading to China for 2 weeks at the end of the month: Hong Kong on my own (visiting DS who is studying there this semester) then Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai on a group tour (my first ever group tour, DD is joining me for that). China is not accessible for DH so I figured this was my best opportunity to see that important part of the world. Anyone have any tips?
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #429

Heading to Santiago Chile aboard the Celebrity Infinity in December. Departs Ft Lauderdale, looking forward to the Panama Canal Passage.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #430

We are off to London, Paris and Libson next week.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #431

Palm Desert CA this weekend to participate in a 100 mile bike race then a cruise to through the Panama Canal the week of Thanksgiving.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
cruise to through the Panama Canal the week of Thanksgiving.
We did the Panama Canal cruise last Thanksgiving - really great experience. The Canal is going through a lot of changes to allow larger ships to transit, so it's a very interesting time to go there. Enjoy!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #433
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I are looking into going to Costa Rica with the Caravan co. Anyone have any experience with this co. or touring Costa Rica?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #434
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to warrentalbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
We are off to London, Paris and Libson next week.
Have an absolutely wonderful trip. We have Lisbon high on our list of places to visit and am looking forward to your thoughts.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrentalbot View Post
Have an absolutely wonderful trip. We have Lisbon high on our list of places to visit and am looking forward to your thoughts.
Go up to Sintra when you're in Lisbon.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #436
Recycles dryer sheets

I intend to check out my PO box before the end of the year; my Mrs. visits it 4-6 times a week but I have to refer to my notes to decipher the combination for the box.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #437
Recycles dryer sheets

Arizona in Feb. Coming from MA it will be refreshing to be dry and warm and not cold and wet!

Arizona Bicycle Tours, Arizona Bike Tours, Sonoran Desert Cycling Vacation - Sojourn
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That sounds like a great holiday. Enjoy that trip, eat well and let us know how it goes.
It was a wonderful trip! Good sights, good food, great wine and weather was agreeable. We treated ourselves to really good hotels and that made the trip even more memorable. Barcelona is easy to get around on foot or using public transport. People are helpful and nice. I love the beach area most although Gaudi sights and Sagrada Familia are fantastic. A few photos to share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sagrada Familia.jpg (605.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Batman at Barcelonetta.jpg (485.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg From cable car 4.jpg (467.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Heading to China for 2 weeks at the end of the month: Hong Kong on my own (visiting DS who is studying there this semester) then Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai on a group tour (my first ever group tour, DD is joining me for that). China is not accessible for DH so I figured this was my best opportunity to see that important part of the world. Anyone have any tips?
Have a good trip. You will like Hong Kong. The weather is great now. Just keep an open mind to the food and culture. It is very interesting but can get too much sometimes. The city does not sleep and depending where you stay, can be bright and loud at night if you are not used to it. But it is a great city.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #440
Recycles dryer sheets

Paris for 3 days, cruise, then Amsterdam

In May'12 we're heading back to Paris for 3 days, then get on a cruise starting in Rouen and ending in Amsterdam. 11 nights on the cruise with no sea days, so will be visiting a lot of places. We have never booked a vacation this far out (about 6 mo.) - we usually wait til about 2 months out or so. But in this case, glad we did as we found hotels in Paris & Amsterdam are going fast because its their 'high season' - especially Amsterdam because of the flower shows. Can hardly wait!