Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #441
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been procrastinating about going to Wall Street to remove ~ 150 ounces of gold coin from a safe deposit box. Between the Occupy Wall street crowd and NYPD's stop and search it's a daunting task.
So much for the 'Home of the free'.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
I've been procrastinating about going to Wall Street to remove ~ 150 ounces of gold coin from a safe deposit box. Between the Occupy Wall street crowd and NYPD's stop and search it's a daunting task.
So much for the 'Home of the free'.
What's keeping you here? Buy yourself a one way ticket to Panama or Lima.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #443
Confused about dryer sheets

Sorento Italy!!

My husband and i are going to sorento italy for our honeymooon this summer. I've been to sorento 2 times already and i can never get tiered of it. Best food, beautiful views, and great shopping! I highly recommend it!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yes Sorrento is one of the finer destinations in Italy. Make sure you visit Amalfi and Capri while there.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #445
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While you are there, you may want to consider visiting, or spending some time on the island of Ishia or Ushia (sp). They can both be easily reached by ferry from Naples. Wonderful, not crowded, and very peaceful. We cannot wait to return.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #446
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
island of Ishia or Ushia (sp).
Ischia
Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #447
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Yes Sorrento is one of the finer destinations in Italy. Make sure you visit Amalfi and Capri while there.
19 days till an 8 day cruise!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #448
Administrator

Just booked our trip to Rome in February. We're staying in a hotel in the Trastevere section. This is our fifth annual trip to Italy. We've flown to Fiumicino airport all but one time, but always on the way to somewhere else. I'm excited to finally see Rome itself.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #449

No travel planned, thank heavens!

Just got back from an 8-day cruise over Thanksgiving on Carnival Cruise lines.

The ship was full (3600 passengers) and more than 800 of them were kids. Constant running in the hallways, pushing in the buffet lines...just a sustained deafening noise from all of the unsupervised kids.

I realized on the second night when I was yelling at some kids running and screaming in the stateroom hallways at 1am that I will never sail Carnival again...and more importantly I have the ability to become a 'GET OFF MY LAWN' kinda gal!

Back at home now to the peace and quiet. And yes, I am an introvert

Normally LOVE cruising but on a very different kind of cruise line.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
No travel planned, thank heavens!

Just got back from an 8-day cruise over Thanksgiving on Carnival Cruise lines.

The ship was full (3600 passengers) and more than 800 of them were kids. Constant running in the hallways, pushing in the buffet lines...just a sustained deafening noise from all of the unsupervised kids.

I realized on the second night when I was yelling at some kids running and screaming in the stateroom hallways at 1am that I will never sail Carnival again...and more importantly I have the ability to become a 'GET OFF MY LAWN' kinda gal!

Back at home now to the peace and quiet. And yes, I am an introvert

Normally LOVE cruising but on a very different kind of cruise line.
What you described is well and truly my idea of hell. So sorry to hear you were plagued by so many kids! I would have thought you might be safe this time of year from the mongrel hordes.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
What you described is well and truly my idea of hell. So sorry to hear you were plagued by so many kids! I would have thought you might be safe this time of year from the mongrel hordes.
Mongrel hordes is right! And some of the mongrel's parents were just as bad. One day DH and I were in the Lido eating lunch when a mom started yelling at her kid to "get over here". He was on the opposite side of the ship so her yelling was VERY loud. I was embarrassed for her since she apparently was raised in a barn!

As for Thanksgiving week we should have known better. Lots of kids get "Fall Break" during that week or parents take them out of school. Thanksgiving cruising is a tradition with us, but it's normally on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. They'll be getting our business back next year.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #452
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Just booked our trip to Rome in February. We're staying in a hotel in the Trastevere section...
That section is a bit rundown compared to the other four sections but it is right across the river from Ancient Rome. I know you will enjoy it. Make sure to spend a day in the park. And eat in one of the restaurants there.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Mongrel hordes is right! And some of the mongrel's parents were just as bad. One day DH and I were in the Lido eating lunch when a mom started yelling at her kid to "get over here". He was on the opposite side of the ship so her yelling was VERY loud. I was embarrassed for her since she apparently was raised in a barn!

As for Thanksgiving week we should have known better. Lots of kids get "Fall Break" during that week or parents take them out of school. Thanksgiving cruising is a tradition with us, but it's normally on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. They'll be getting our business back next year.
Ah, I didn't even think of the holiday break. And of course, as a childfree person, I know it isn't really the kids' fault that they are mongrels, but usually it is their parents' doing. sigh...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #454

ok, this may be pretty low on the excitement scale for many of you, but here goes....

I'm a big NFL fan...Oakland Raiders to be specific. (I live in Indiana...don't ask). We started a tradition 8 years ago...we go to a Raider game in a different city each year...with our goal to eventually get to every city (may have to start doing 2x/year once we FIRE).

So far we've been to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Denver, Pittsburgh, Oakland (my favorite of course), Baltimore, Nashville, and Kansas City.

This year's trip? We're headed to Green Bay in about 10 days. DW is a "football fan by marriage", and wants to be at a game that makes history in some way. In this case, it may be the weather, as Green Bay can get pretty nasty at times.

Looking forward to visiting this historic field, although the Raiders may be playing an undefeated team.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #455
Full time employment: Posting here.

Travel planning is in the very preliminary phase - I'm looking to move to Europe this summer with the wife and kids for 3 years, courtesy of the USN. Hafta choose between Italy, Spain, Germany, or possibly England. Germany and Italy probably offer the best home base to travel from. Should have a better idea of where home will be in about a month!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #456
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Travel planning is in the very preliminary phase - I'm looking to move to Europe this summer with the wife and kids for 3 years, courtesy of the USN. Hafta choose between Italy, Spain, Germany, or possibly England. Germany and Italy probably offer the best home base to travel from. Should have a better idea of where home will be in about a month!
Family friends were thrilled to be in Italy. A couple years ago their 17-year-old and ours rampaged up & down the coast for a couple weeks, and then came back to Hawaii to do the same.

Spouse was stationed in Rota in 1983 and we had some great times in Spain & Portugal, but I bet Rota ain't the sleepy little town it used to be...

Do you read the "Paycheck Chronicles" blog on Military.com?
http://paycheck-chronicles.military....ave-questions/
I believe Kate is still in Italy (or just transferred), and she can offer the latest scuttlebutt. She and I met at the USAA blogger conference a couple months ago.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #457
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got back from 12 days in Spain. Wonderful, wonderful time. Now to get over the jet lag...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #458
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse was stationed in Rota in 1983 and we had some great times in Spain & Portugal, but I bet Rota ain't the sleepy little town it used to be....
Went to Citges in 2005 for the first time in 35 years. The main street is now a high rise canyon. Shocking....
Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #459
Recycles dryer sheets

We're going to Victoria, BC for Christmas. First time we'll be spending time there during winter...will be interesting!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #460

Just booked our Christmas travel. Taking in Seattle, Honolulu and Portland.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote