Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #481
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Is it true that the visa process for Brazil can take a long time?
Don't know for sure, but will need to get on the stick pretty soon. From what I understand, Brazil's need for a visa is only because the U.S. requires one for Brazilians when they travel here. I've read that it makes the U.S., as a travel destination for Brazilians, a little harder...U.S. is losing some tourist $$ that way. The Brazilians that I know (mostly students getting advanced degrees) seem to travel back and forth quite often and seem to have the $$ to do so. It would be nice if the visa requirement was dropped for both countries.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Booked a house for a week in Ocracoke Island NC in June. We will be sharing a house with our DS, his SO and her DS, who just turned 14. This will be our first vacation with our DS since he left home at around 18 and he will be 34 in April. It was their suggestion to go. We used to go quite often to Ocracoke Island when he was growing up and he has not been since he was around 14. If our plans work out and our DD allows us, I will be flying to San Diego and spending a week or so with her family, and then flying back with our granddaughter, who will be almost 4, and taking her on vacation with us. Then after we are back home, my DH will fly her back to San Diego and spend a week or two with them. Our DSIL does not have a problem with it, but DD is still thinking about it.
DW and I (and fur children of course) used to go to Ocracoke when we lived near DC. We loved it! It's truly one of the unique places in the US. We have wonderful memories from our visits there, and I long to return for a visit.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #483
Full time employment: Posting here.

Planning an Amtrak trip from the Carolinas to New Orleans, then on to Texas

Old 01-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Don't tell me, Strawberry Festival?
Or, could be for the Blue Clear Sky, which will Leave a Smile on Your His Face.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #485

Heading for Florida for a couple of weeks toward the end of February and first part of March. On the way home, we'll be staying in Nashville for a few more days of food, fun, and relaxation. Then two weeks after we get home from that trip, we're going to a three day Bluegrass Festival in Schaumburg (a northwest 'burb of Chicago). We also have three day Bluegrass Festivals in September (Pontiac, IL) and November (Springfield, IL). Throw in a few day trips, and that about gets us through the year!

We're pondering a nice Christmas trip to Nashville in December, but haven't even started planning anything for it yet.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #486
Gone but not forgotten

We are going to New York for a few days then a cruise to New England & Canada in Sept. We were going to go in June but our plans got way laid by a new grandson to arrive then.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #487

Going to El Salvador January 28. Trying to setup a women's shelter and/or an orphanage with colleagues of mine.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #488
Moderator Emeritus

Going to drive from Chicago to Phoenix in March to take in some spring training.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #489
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a year off but not unlimited travel funds so I am planning a series of budget vacations. First to Miami in February for a few days in the sun and an inexpensive 4 day cruise to Mexico (never been on a cruise before) with DH, then a three day stay in Toronto for some theatre and other events. A trip with a friend (another cheap cruise..three nights from San Diego to Vancouver---a relocation cruise). Then out to the East Coast where I will live for the rest of the year. Taking the trailer around to some provincial parks there in the summer. If my funds hold out I will plan another trip in the fall.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
DW and I (and fur children of course) used to go to Ocracoke when we lived near DC. We loved it! It's truly one of the unique places in the US. We have wonderful memories from our visits there, and I long to return for a visit.
We loved it also. I asked the lady who owns the house we are renting, if it is still undeveloped as years ago. She told us there is still no movie theater, bowling alley or anything such as that and I told her good!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #491
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just came back from a ladies shopping trip to Bangkok. Weather was perfect - there was forecast of rain and thunderstorm but when we were there the weather was just overcast and warm. Lots of shopping and eating. A fun trip for ladies who love a bargain. Since we have been to Bangkok a few times, we did not want to do the tourist sights - just shopping, eating, massage and enjoy the company.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #492

Nothing exotic, but we're planning a short outing on one of the local Coal Country Tours. There's a lot of history there leading to the formation of labor unions and the abusive conditions that lead up to their formation.

Turns out DW's BIL's father was a WV coal miner. Admittedly touring a WV coal mine was not on my bucket list but it does look interesting. So in the early planning stage it looks like there will be six of us going. I'm looking forward a look at a way of life that is far away from anything I've ever experienced.

Coal Country Tours
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #493
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from Africa a couple of weeks ago and are planning a trip to California in April. We will visit a friend in San Deigo and then drive up the coast visiting relatives in LA and San Francisco and stopping for a day or two in Santa Barbara, Big Sur and Sonoma.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #494
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm looking forward a look at a way of life that is far away from anything I've ever experienced.
Toured a mine in Iron Mountain, MI, a coal mine in PA, and a gold mine in South Africa......mining certainly isn't an occupation that I'd ever have considered (voluntarily) undertaking.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #495
Give me a forum ...

Going to Chicago today.

Though it's only about 50 miles from our house...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #496
Give me a forum ...

Yellowstone and Glacier National in August.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #497
Give me a forum ...

I just watched a mob of people marching past the Capitol protesting something or other.

(from my office)
Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #498
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I just watched a mob of people marching past the Capitol protesting something or other.

(from my office)
What Capitol? I rode thru the DC Capitol grounds on my bike this morning but missed any action.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #499
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
What Capitol? I rode thru the DC Capitol grounds on my bike this morning but missed any action.
Different Capitol. Somewhere to the south.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #500
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

(from my office)
Showoff!<snort>

Closed Thread