Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #541
Recycles dryer sheets

We are visiting Quebec City right now. Lucked into unseasonably mild weather, and we have been taking advantage of it by walking all over this beautiful city. Friendly people, great food and drink, history surrounding us: nothing better! Now if they could only do something about the multiple sales taxes on everything...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #542
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are headed to San Miguel and Guanajuato on May 6 for 5 days. Road trip from PV through Guadalajara first. We have a cat sitter lined up in PV. Should be cooler although PV is very comfortable right now: 73 with 60% humidity.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #543
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
We are headed to San Miguel and Guanajuato on May 6 for 5 days. Road trip from PV through Guadalajara first. We have a cat sitter lined up in PV. Should be cooler although PV is very comfortable right now: 73 with 60% humidity.
In Zion right now , just got back from hiking to observation point. I recommend it if you ever visit zion.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #544

I have a couple of trips planned so far. I am visiting a cousin on Cape Cod for a week in July. I am also booked on a 10 day trip to Ireland in early October. It is a primarily a theater trip (20 Pittsburghers led by a theater director) but we also visit museums, churches, literary places of interest, a brewery and a distillery.
My son is coming home for a week in June, too, and I'd like to drag him to Gettysburg for a few days to bike the battlefield. I'd also like to visit the Eisenhower Farm as it is a place I've never been.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #545
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Small world... We leave Playa del Carmen on Thursday for Chiapas, then to Guanajuato and San Miguel del Allende about the same time.

Let's have a drink or something!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #546
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
In Zion right now , just got back from hiking to observation point. I recommend it if you ever visit zion.

Angels Landing is the most awesome hike we have ever taken... Just take your vertigo pills and lots of water.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #547

We began by looking at taking a road trip out west....but then figured that, if you start, you have to go all the way to the coast, (don't want to end up in Saskatchewan or N. Dakota...not that, as per Jerry Seinfeld, there's anything wrong with those places).

Then looked at the economy, the markets, etc, and thought maybe not this year.

Then thought of a quickie down to N. Carolina, (where we've been a number of times before).

Then we saw a discounted all-inclusive package to Costa Rica, departing May 28......so we booked it 15 minutes ago.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #548
Full time employment: Posting here.

San Francisco for the end of May.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #549
Moderator Emeritus

Four days driving across the country to San Francisco in early june.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #550
Recycles dryer sheets

We have 3 trips planned in our first year of retirement: 10 days to Dallas and Santa Fe to visit family and friends (flying), 1 week at Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire, and a 2-3 week roadtrip from Boston down through the smoky mountains in September.

After that, we'll see. So excited.

We are starting to plan a 1 month trip to Aus/NZ late next year.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #551

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Did I mention Dubrovnik and Istanbul in September? Just got back from 4 days in Guadalajara. 91 degrees and 13% humidity at 5000 ft elevation.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #552

Headed to Burnet, TX for a family reunion, then to San Diego for a bike race the next weekend.

You couldn't find two more different worlds if you tried!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #553

Just finished booking a week on a small boat expedition cruise in Alaska. Added 5 day interior rail trip and Denali stay. Now I just have to pay for it.

Oh, and buy rain and cold gear, kinda unnecessary here in Arizona. But I do have my dry sacks and paddle gloves.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #554
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not as exciting as some of y'alls plans, but I'm going camping next weekend out in the George Washington National Forest, not too far from the Sugar Grove NSA station, which is one of the places the gov't intercepts electronic communications from. It's a good place to get away from it all since there's pretty much no cell phone reception out there. It's a National Radio Quiet Zone. It's fun to stand on the top of the mountain and look down and see all the huge satellite dishes and radio telescopes in the distance.

The following weekend is DelFest in Cumberland MD. Should be a good 4 days.

Later in June I'm going to be helping my nephew move to Madison WI (from Columbia MD). I love to drive, and I'll be hauling a trailer full of stuff for his first job after college. Hopefully I'll be able to pawn off some of the furniture stored out in our garage on him.

Other than that, not much travel unless Sarah convinces me to show up at FloydFest Home @ FloydFest. I'm still toying with that idea.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #555

C'mon, Harley-YOLO! Get yer butt to Floyd! 'Specially since we hope to miss next year if we get it together for the Mongol Rally-10,000 miles from London to Mongolia in a shortie American school bus.
And hey, I've already *almost* convinced Koogie to go with us, wanna be a part of the Short Bus Chronicles, too?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #556
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am headed N to Lake Ontario, specifically Sackets Harbor, on Wednesday or Thursday as soon as I feel better.
Low budget trip, only a 1.5 hour drive, just like going to the ocean.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #557

I was planning on being in Brazil this fall, but things happen. My kids are buying their first home so the trip is off for this year. Oh well, I'm very excited about helping them fix up their new home.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #558
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I was planning on being in Brazil this fall, but things happen. My kids are buying their first home so the trip is off for this year.
So, you are saying that you can't "follow your bliss" because your (I assume adult "kids") decided on buying a home?

Seriously, not wanting to start an argument, but being raised in a differnet situation, I don't understand why you would not want to persue your wants over the "life" of your childern. Heck, they have their own life to live/learn.

Just wondering...
Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #559

1. I have a profound hearing loss and don't speak the language and certainly can't hear it
2. My son-in-law is Brazilian...so staying with family instead of hotels was a good $$ saver
3. Just isn't as much fun traveling alone as with family - maybe there's another cruise in my future.

Hopefully there will be other opportunities in the future sounds like a beautiful country.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Mmmmm......mushy peas
With mint, hopefully!