Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #581
Dryer sheet wannabe

Is this thread just for the retirees or can young dreamers post?

I am taking my kids to Puerto Rico in July. Staying in a villa at the base of the rainforest. Will hit the beaches, rainforest and snorkeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Did I mention Dubrovnik and Istanbul in September? Just got back from 4 days in Guadalajara. 91 degrees and 13% humidity at 5000 ft elevation.
Love Istanbul and the country, have been there multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am headed N to Lake Ontario, specifically Sackets Harbor, on Wednesday or Thursday as soon as I feel better.
Low budget trip, only a 1.5 hour drive, just like going to the ocean.
I agree, going to Lake Ontario is similar to the ocean! We just drove through that area, to Cape Vincent and then took the ferry to Wolf Island and then another ferry to Kingston.

I just saw the movie "Best Exotic Hotel Marigold" ... adding India to my future travel plans, in 5 years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #582
Recycles dryer sheets

First , I ask for clarification. Since I have a long time girlfriend - significant other; not that PC matters, but I repsect this Board enough to be PC to it; rather than DW which no longer exists, is it DSO, or DGF ?
Our summer plans call for 3 separate weeks of SCUBA diving in the Caribbean. Warm water diving is the best, and then a fall dive trip to Bonaire.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #583
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
First , I ask for clarification. Since I have a long time girlfriend - significant other; not that PC matters, but I repsect this Board enough to be PC to it; rather than DW which no longer exists, is it DSO, or DGF ?
A simple MS (Main Squeeze) will do.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #584
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Our summer plans call for 3 separate weeks of SCUBA diving in the Caribbean. Warm water diving is the best, and then a fall dive trip to Bonaire.
Jealous! I am not going to make any dive trips this year, but have been to the Caribbean/Cozumel many, many times, including 3 trips to Bonaire.

This summer we will be heading to Ireland for a "Cousin's Reunion" for my SO and then over to Scotland for a week of scotch tasting. This fall will be our annual trip to the Cape Cod seashore and then later a long weekend in Aruba for a wedding.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #585
Recycles dryer sheets

ChiliPepr, did you use SO ?? ReWahoo: MS just doen't feel right. Dilemma, dilemma.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #586
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Jealous! I am not going to make any dive trips this year, but have been to the Caribbean/Cozumel many, many times, including 3 trips to Bonaire.
I'm jealous too. In the 70s I dove all the time including ice diving and wreck diving. Over the years since then I made it to Cozumel, Bonaire, Provo and a few others but I haven't been able to keep at it at a level I would like. We just have too many competing interests and DW doesn't really like diving even though she is certified. I have thought about joining an organized dive trip on my own but haven't pursued it. Would a single 64 y/o stand out like a sore thumb on a dive trip or have they trended older with the boomers like many other activities?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #587
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have thought about joining an organized dive trip on my own but haven't pursued it. Would a single 64 y/o stand out like a sore thumb on a dive trip or have they trended older with the boomers like many other activities?
I am lucky, my SO (DGF, DSO, MS...?) loves diving as much as I do... a 64yo would not stand out, but why not just go on vacation to a dive location, bring your DW and just dive in the morning... you will be back on shore by lunch and have the rest of the day with her. There are usually singles on the dive boat looking for a buddy, if not you could for a "triple" (if I know the dive company, I may dive as a single. I know, I know...)

When we dive, we often just do the two tank morning dive which usually returns around lunch. That gives you the rest of the day to play landside.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #588
Recycles dryer sheets

The diving age demographics has changed. At the dive resorts, the average age is in the 50 - 70 range. Non-divers also enjoy the relaxation and DWs might also enjoy sleeping in a bit while you dive as ChiliPepr said, you would likely be doing a two tank morning dive; back in time for the rest of the day together.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #589

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Nothing to add, but I feel compelled to post. If Sarah says it and Travelover agrees, it is so. Peru and Cusco are a great trip. Don't worry, enjoy! Remember, pisco and anticuchos are your friend.
OH, yes, the Pisco Sours. Though I'd not actually go so far as to say Pisco is your "friend", but it will sure help you have a good time! And the anticuchos are fantastic, along with the ceviche in Lima and along the coast, plus aji de gallina and other classic Peruvian dishes.

Are you going to the jungle at all? We stayed at a fancy-pants lodge near Iquitos after the mototaxi rally wrapped up. It was stunning, but pricey.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #590
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am settling on a plan to take a road trip from San Francisco to Seattle. Probably in July. I'll take in Portland and Mt Rainier National Park along the way. Drive back down the coast on 101. My road trip to Chicago last year work out great.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #591
gone traveling

DW just informed me that we will be traveling to China in September 2013 (sorry, no itenary at this time) and she booked it yesterday.

That, along with Scotland (our 3rd time) this September.

Can't keep a lady down (or her consort - me )...

So it goes.

BTW, we spent a week in a condo in Maui last month (thinking about buying a unit in which we rented for the trip, but stil "in the process").

Retirement is hard - keeps me tired with all the travel...
Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #592

So my frequent flyer mile gyrations might be paying off...

I just got an invite to submit my "credentials" to work the launch of this year's MongolRally at Goodwood in England. This is the rally we are thinking about for next summer, and this volunteer opportunity would give me a guaranteed entry, a discount on same, and a behind-the-scenes "job" with some seriously crazy people.

And see just what sort of vehicles other peeps think are suitable for a 10,000 mile journey from England to Ulan Baatar (we want to take a shortie American school bus).

A long weekend in England in July? Sure, why not?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #593
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
A long weekend in England in July? Sure, why not?
It would work for us, also ...

Get your tickets for July events:

http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/
Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #594

Now, that shows how clueless I am--forgot about that completely! Thank goodness it is a couple of weeks before the frenzy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
It would work for us, also ...

Get your tickets for July events:

http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/

Old 06-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #595
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Now, that shows how clueless I am--forgot about that completely! Thank goodness it is a couple of weeks before the frenzy!
Lucky U. Apparently you are not married to a "psedo travel agent" as I am , and is aware of what is happening around the world and directly impacts our planned travel...
Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #596
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC
OH, yes, the Pisco Sours. Though I'd not actually go so far as to say Pisco is your "friend", but it will sure help you have a good time! And the anticuchos are fantastic, along with the ceviche in Lima and along the coast, plus aji de gallina and other classic Peruvian dishes.

Are you going to the jungle at all? We stayed at a fancy-pants lodge near Iquitos after the mototaxi rally wrapped up. It was stunning, but pricey.
No jungle for us city kids. I'm not averse, but our time is limited to 4 nights in-country. We'll be hobnobbing with the swells at another fancy-pants joint in the Sacred Valley for a couple of nights. No denying we'll be tourists, not adventurers this trip.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #597
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heading to Alaska on the 22nd of June for a cruise. Not sure of any of the details, except we will be on a small ship (66 passengers) and beer is included with meals. All the other details will fall into place.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #598

Going on an extended vacation. A week in Porto, Spain followed by a 12 day Adriatic cruise. After that a few days in Venice and Como then off to South Africa for a month. Victoria Falls, Kruger, and Cape Town. Then a cruise back to the US for mid Dec. Some time in Florida, and then hopefully a one or two month rental in Costa Rica or Panama. Then back home to look for a new house....our current house has sold and we will store everything in a POD.

We did our first extended trip years ago prior to changing careers. Early retirement means it is time to do it again...but with a few more creature comforts than our VW van provided.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #599

Going to Western Europe in late Aug / early Sept and going to Central America in late Sept to run another clinic.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #600
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just got my holiday cancelled as DH has sudden work commitments. Supposed to go for a week holiday and do the Great Ocean Road (Australia). I did so much research and now I don't know when we are going.