Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #621

Nice tiny camper! And good setup for the shower, too. Sometimes simplicity really makes for a better time. The shade tent is a perfect addition to that, because it adds a front porch. Very cool!

I hope the India trip goes well, Kumquat. It isn't on my list, but I imagine it is very beautiful. I tend to seek out places with fewer people, is what I've determined.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #622
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
.........The shade tent is a perfect addition to that, because it adds a front porch. Very cool!........
These folding canopies are amazingly easy to set up - sort of like an umbrella frame, though it definitely takes two to raise it.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #623
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Going back to Seattle for a week. It's our 20+ annual Girl's Summer Weekend. I'm going to have to take my long underwear as the highs have been in the 70's. Our lows have been higher than their highs. At least nicer than it was for Girl's Winter Weekend at the end of February.

Will spend 5 days on Whidbey Island catching crabs and cooking them on the beach. I'm the only one of the 9 who left the local area. The group is my sister, two friends I've known for 48 years and the rest for only 35-40 years!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #624
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Nords would appreciate our 2 liter showers, though I'm sure that by submarine standards that was extravagant.
One liter per person? Or two liters for one couple in the shower at the same time? No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Thank goodness we tend to go to where it is cool, so we only take a shower once every other day.
Now that's extravagant.

The 1980s goal for submarine evaporator run-hours used to be 22 gallons per person per day. That number included their share of drinking, cooking, personal hygiene, & laundry. (Probably in about that priority order.) The idea was that you only had to run the evaporator for 12-14 hours/day, which left plenty of time for maintenance... and engineering drills.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Will spend 5 days on Whidbey Island catching crabs
That does sound fun!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #626
Give me a forum ...

Oh, catching crabs! I don't think that I can get tired of eating crabs, particularly Dungeness crabs!

And to think of making cioppino right on the beach... My mouth is watering already.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #627
Recycles dryer sheets

We HAVE had some and plan MORE!!
Brief recap - Sept / Oct 2008 a year b-4 retired: Calif to MN to pick up new trailer. A 19' Scamp 5th wheel. Like Travelovers 13' Uhaul on steroids. From MN all the way to New England (fall colors). Spring 2009 Alaska Cruise. Summer 2009 Yellowstone with g/kid. Retired 12/09... Jan 2010 AZ, to TX (some fiberglass trailer gatherings). Spring 2010 Germany (to visit daughter) and a western Mediterranean Cruise. Summer 2010 Grand Canyon / Zion / Arches. 2011... health precluded much travel untill fall... Then Trailer to Nashville et al, to Key West. Then Germany again for Christmas, and a 10 day side trip to the Holy Land in early 2012. And now I am in daughters dining room in Gernany again - and Sat leave for a week long side trip to Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg and France.

Future plans... MORE CAMPING (in list above did not include our many camping trips...), and... a group of friends is planning a Branson trip for late spring/EARLY summer 2013 and probably late summer to Mt. Rushmore.

LONG term... an Alaska trip w/ trailer AND I would love to bring my trailer to Europe. There is a book by a couple who did it with a Class "C". I think we could pull it off too.

Planning to spend our assets ... THAT is WHY we scrimped and saved all those years!

Pic is our trailer on the beach in TX.

***EDIT*** Forgot to add - when in the Holy Land, met a guy who runs a game preserve / photo safari set up in South Africe. THAT should be late fall 2013. GOTTA FIND MORE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scamp on a Beach.jpg (342.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #628
Recycles dryer sheets

DW & I made that trip to Machu Picchu in Peru last week. Stunning place! A few days in Cusco, a few days in Urubamba. Wonderful people and great food (I had to try the guinea pig). Only down part was the US leg of the flight on AA to Miami on AA. LAN airlines in South America was much better.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #629
Give me a forum ...

Starting to plan a visit to NYC for a wedding in late autumn, so suggestions would be appreciated.

DW has been there and did all the major tourist stops, but that was several decades ago. I grew up in Brooklyn, but left for good in the late 60s.

To give you an idea of what I enjoy, a place I absolutely love, and am looking forward to showing DW, is The Cloisters, a re-created medieval monastery full of magnificent period treasures and owned/operated by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. This is a little-known gem that most tourists never hear about, but it ranks among my top sites in NYC.

We already have our hotel booked, and there will only be a couple of days to play tourist, but any suggestions for fantastic places to eat (not outrageously expensive) or see would be most welcome.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller
DW & I made that trip to Machu Picchu in Peru last week. Stunning place! A few days in Cusco, a few days in Urubamba. Wonderful people and great food (I had to try the guinea pig). Only down part was the US leg of the flight on AA to Miami on AA. LAN airlines in South America was much better.
Tree, glad you had a good time! We spent a month there at the beginning of the year.
It really is an incredible place! And good for you to try the cuy-I was too chicken! But the anticuchos recommended by Michael B were awesome!
We flew a few VERY dodgy flights in Peru with local carriers-including one where several boxes of fighting chickens were on board!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #631
Give me a forum ...

I have been surfing the Web for travel destinations with my motor home. The trip that I made in June this year had to be cut short due to a medical emergency at home. So, I am planning another trip for fall, but will not drive as far as the last trip that took us up to Jasper.

Having an RV to explore the back roads suddenly opens up so many places that I would not think of when I did the usual fly-and-drive. We used to do a lot of road trips when we were young and airfares were expensive, but having an RV makes it so nice now. The expense for fuel just cancels out the motel and meal costs, so it is not bad at all. The key is to take long trips to make it worthwhile, and by long I mean up to 1 month or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
LONG term... an Alaska trip w/ trailer AND I would love to bring my trailer to Europe. There is a book by a couple who did it with a Class "C". I think we could pull it off too.

Pic is our trailer on the beach in TX.
I read about the Scamp trailer and have seen some on the road. However, until I saw your posts I did not know that they had a cute 5th wheel. So, I had to go on the Web to see the floorplan.

I also want to spend extended time touring Europe with an RV eventually. My class C would be way too big for European roads, and I think your trailer+truck would also be too long. I think that when the time comes, I may just buy a used small motor home there, then resell it when I am done. And to make it worthwhile, I may want to spend 2 or 3 summers with the RV, with it being in storage for the winter.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #632

Quote:
I also want to spend extended time touring Europe with an RV eventually. My class C would be way too big for European roads
How about a Class B, such as a Roadtrek or a Pleasureway?

My late wife & I, when we started full-timing in 1997, had a Pleasureway....too small for full-timers with a cat and a 70lb Border Collie, but convenient for 'vacationers'.

They're relatively expensive, but you don't require a TOAD.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #633
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
It really is an incredible place! And good for you to try the cuy-I was too chicken!
I kinda cheated: it was cuy ravioli, not roasted on a stick. Could've been any mystery meat from a high-school cafeteria! A month there must have been an adventure.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #634
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the B-class was something that I had in mind, and it would be perfect for going into town. However, instead of bringing one over from the US, I am leaning more towards buying one there. The cost of RT shipping is not trivial, and then there is also the hassle with customs, registration, inspection, etc... And if your vehicle breaks down, you may not be able to find someone to fix it, or to get the parts, etc...

It is still a few years away for me to get serious about this, but I happened to see some larger class Cs that looked very interesting, such as the following Rimor Koala. It is narrower than the standard American class C, but offers more space than the standard Bs. It is still big compared to the van-sized B, however.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #635
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, the B-class was something that I had in mind, and it would be perfect for going into town. However, instead of bringing one over from the US, I am leaning more towards buying one there. The cost of RT shipping is not trivial, and then there is also the hassle with customs, registration, inspection, etc... And if your vehicle breaks down, you may not be able to find someone to fix it, or to get the parts, etc...
When one of my former bosses and his wife retired in the mid-90's, they put their furniture in storage, leased their home, went to Europe and purchased a RV similar to the one in your photo. They lived and traveled in it for a year, venturing as far north as Norway and south into Morocco. They sold it back to the dealer they purchased it from prior to returning to the US.

He did admit to "cheating" by occasionally spending a night in a hotel - with his wife, I think...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
He did admit to "cheating" by occasionally spending a night in a hotel - with his wife, I think...
Glad you said 'with' and not 'on'...........hold up, let me rephrase that.....

Old 08-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #637
Full time employment: Posting here.

Scored tickets to Israel for $350ish roundtrip in late feb. It will be a quick trip, but it should be fun to head over to the holy land.

Now, what to see....?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
Scored tickets to Israel for $350ish roundtrip in late feb. It will be a quick trip, but it should be fun to head over to the holy land.

Now, what to see....?
Haifa, The Old Part of Jerusalem, Masada, Crusader Fortress in Acre, Dead Sea.......

Old 08-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #639
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I also want to spend extended time touring Europe with an RV eventually. My class C would be way too big for European roads, and I think your trailer+truck would also be too long. I think that when the time comes, I may just buy a used small motor home there, then resell it when I am done. And to make it worthwhile, I may want to spend 2 or 3 summers with the RV, with it being in storage for the winter.

Class "C" s/b fine. Really. There was a book...."Take your RV to Europe" - check Amazon... a Couple from New England, If I recall. They did it. Am at my daughter's right now in Frankfurt area - two doors down is a fella with one that looks to be 20' +/-. I have to chat with him. The New England couple put it in winter storage in a greenhouse in the Netherlands. It **IS** do-able. There are issues. Also, a fella from the Netherlands brought HIS car and trailer and toured the US.

And the Scano 5er IS great - for the two of us.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #640
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the above book by Milavsky gave me the idea of long-term touring of Europe with an RV. I read it before I got my class C. Then, I shelved the idea until I have done more traveling in the US and Canada first.

Theirs was an older class C that was built on a Toyota chassis, hence was smaller than the Rimor Koala above, I think. Milavsky's book gave me the idea of keeping the vehicle in winter storage for a multi-year adventure.

Recently, I found the blog of a couple who brought their class C over from the States. It was a Winnebago View (see below) which was close in size to the Rimor Koala, meaning narrower and shorter than a standard C. Even so, I thought I did read about them on occasions having some apprehension when driving it into towns.

As there are trucks and vans traveling the roads in Europe, I am sure one can drive a standard class C around if one knows the area. It's just that when going into unfamiliar towns, I would not want to sweat bullets to find myself getting stuck in a narrow street with no easy way to extricate myself. I'd rather take a smaller vehicle and save myself the hassle, but that's just me.

I can easily imagine a scene where I have to tell my wife to jump out to give me hand signals to back up to turn around, and at the same time to direct the traffic in English to go around our RV. Ay, ay, ay! I don't think my wife would enjoy that. She might just hop into a taxi and head straight for the nearest airport.