Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #641
Recycles dryer sheets

**She might just hop into a taxi and head straight for the nearest airport.**

Ummm... would that constitute a "win-win" for both of you!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #642
Recycles dryer sheets

@ NW-Bound... Seriously, I **HAVE** been noodling on it for a while. For the LIFE of me, tho, I cannot now recall WHY the Milavsky's nixed YOUR idea. On the surface, it sounds SO PERFECT. 1) No transportation. 2) No rental 3) No conversion of electric, & Propane (water is the easy one - just splice an american hose to a euro hose). You are buying (say) a 3-5 year old rig, already sucked up lots of the depreciation, and selling one that will be (say) 5-7 years old. The spread SHOULDN'T be too bad. Dunno why they rejected it. Have to dig out the book when I get home and re-read.

The ONLY fly in the ointment that I see is trying to dispose of the rig when done. That COULD be a problem once you returned home.

But, I am STILL partial to the idea of my own rig. AND, I can tell you, I am here NOW @ daughter's in a tiny village - Schwabenheim an der Selz - and I would have NO hesitation WHAT SO EVER in bringing my F-150 and Scamp over here. ZIP. MOSTLY you are on a "main road" thru villages and there is PLENTY of room. There is ONE PLACE that is skinny, but it is a straight thru – no turn. AND the extensive presence of round-abouts reduces the actual left and right turns considerably.
BUT... still noolding on it... probably 2015.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #643
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Currently in Toronrto visiting grandkids then Belleville doing the same then Midland on a freinds' Hunter 49.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #644
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about the "win-win" situation.

Nah, my wife would not abandon me like that with an RV stuck in traffic, though she might threaten to. But of course before we get to those fighting words, we would have to go through a few rounds of "I told you so", and "You should have turned left instead of right", or "See, I said we should have skipped this dinky little town with streets only fit for donkey carts", etc... Being as pessimistic and cautious as I am, I always take all precaution to avoid this kind of thing.

The problem with bringing your vehicle is the logistics, and I have a short temper if I have to deal with bureaucracy. It probably costs a bit less, but for me, it is worth spending a bit more to avoid the hassle. It would also take more planning to take your vehicle. For example, is it easy to get the tire size? How do you plug into 220V? Does the 50Hz vs. 60Hz matter? It can be all planned for, but I am getting lazy with the years.

By the way, I like smaller RVs for their mobility. This is my 3rd year of traveling with my class C towing a car, and I will say that it is definitely the largest I would like to drive. For the future trip to Alaska, I have been wondering if I should just leave the toad home, as I may not need it. My current set up is perfect when we establish a base camp then explore the surrounding using the toad, but when you are constantly on the move a single vehicle is better.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #645
Give me a forum ...

Does the toad affect handling of the Class C? What about gas mileage?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #646
gone traveling

Haggis and a bit of "the black stuff" in less than a month.

I'll wear my kilt and invite the lassies to "investigate the truth" after September 7th, for a few weeks ...
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #647
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Does the toad affect handling of the Class C? What about gas mileage?
Yes, I am sure it does, mostly when driving in crosswinds. How bad the effect is, I do not know as one would have to do a controlled test, meaning driving the motor home with and without the toad in exactly the same wind condition. My class C has a GVW of 12,300 lbs, and the toad weights 3,500 lbs. A class A with a weight of 20,000 to 30,000 lbs would of course be wagged less by the same tail.

From reading RV forum posts from other class C owners, I found that to be a common problem. People have spent from $2K+ to more than $3K to have put in the suspension add-on improvements that I have done myself for $1K worth of parts. The above cost includes a recent addition of a track bar, whose effect I am anxious to experience in my next coming trip.

As to the gas mileage, surprisingly, towing the toad has little penalty on the fuel consumption. I have driven the motor home for more than 12,000 miles, most of these with the toad in tow. The average fuel consumption has been 9.1MPG, and that was driven over windy conditions and over the mountainous western states. I have driven the motor home sans toad for only 800 miles, and the gas mileage was somewhere around 9.5MPG, but it was over flat land.

It appears that once the motor home reaches cruising speed, most of the gas is expended in overcoming aerodynamic drag, and since the toad is behind the draft of a moving brick it does not add much drag. The rolling resistance of the tires must be relatively insignificant for both vehicles.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #648
Give me a forum ...

Heading to Yellowstone tomorrow, with stops in Rapid City, Sheridan, WY, Cody, WY, West Yellowstone, MT, Bozeman, MT, and then back.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #649
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Heading to Yellowstone tomorrow, with stops in Rapid City, Sheridan, WY, Cody, WY, West Yellowstone, MT, Bozeman, MT, and then back.........
I considered going to Yellowstone this summer but being unemployed and not FI I couldn't justify it. But if you have an extra seat come up my way and i'll hitch a ride. I'm only 100 miles north of you.

Post pictures so I can see what I missed.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #650
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just returned from a road trip from San Francisco to Portland, Mt. Rainier National Park, and Seattle. This is my second solo road trip since retiring. This link is to my movie of the trip.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #651
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Just returned from a road trip from San Francisco to Portland, Mt. Rainier National Park, and Seattle. This is my second solo road trip since retiring. This link is to my movie of the trip.
Nice!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879

I considered going to Yellowstone this summer but being unemployed and not FI I couldn't justify it. But if you have an extra seat come up my way and i'll hitch a ride. I'm only 100 miles north of you.

Post pictures so I can see what I missed.
Don't worry, it will still be there when you are ready!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #653

Norway - here I come! I heard it is very expensive there, so I've mentally prepared myself for that too.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #654
Recycles dryer sheets

Kruger National Park

We are headed to South Africa from Perth next week. This is something I never thought we could afford- but Kruger National Park is very reasonable as you can stay in rondavels, or camp and self drive yourself. We have 2 days driving to the park, along the Panorama route, and then 2 days in the park, then 4 days in Balule at a very reasonably priced lodge - Toroyaka.
This wasn't even on my bucket list... I need to get a bigger bucket I still have a few more months of work and then head back to the US.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
We are headed to South Africa from Perth next week. This is something I never thought we could afford- but Kruger National Park is very reasonable as you can stay in rondavels, or camp and self drive yourself. We have 2 days driving to the park, along the Panorama route, and then 2 days in the park, then 4 days in Balule at a very reasonably priced lodge - Toroyaka.
This wasn't even on my bucket list... I need to get a bigger bucket I still have a few more months of work and then head back to the US.
If you're driving up through Louis Trichardt, (perhaps from Pretoria), we stayed overnight (albeit in 1983, so things might have changed), here, and found it quite enjoyable.

(Perhaps try this link.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #656
Give me a forum ...

Heading from Toronto to Vancouver and connecting with the Galiano Island ferry for a few days stay. Connection is tight so I am hoping the plane is on time. It was an hour late getting to Toronto on the 10th!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #657
Give me a forum ...

When the ferry between Victoria and Vancouver took us squeezing between these islands, I told myself that I wanted to visit one of them some day, as they looked very interesting and picturesque. But then, I said the same thing about San Juan Island, and have not done so.

So many interesting places, so little time and money. Speaking of the latter, we are not even allowed to use the $10K freebie money on travel. If that does not drive one crazy, I do not know what would.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Norway - here I come! I heard it is very expensive there, so I've mentally prepared myself for that too.
First day of our trip and the airline upgraded us to first class. Plane was delayed by half an hour but who cares when you get such a wonderful upgrade.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #659

Mazatlan in March, Macchu Pichu and Galapagos in April next year. Italy in October this year.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When the ferry between Victoria and Vancouver took us squeezing between these islands, I told myself that I wanted to visit one of them some day, as they looked very interesting and picturesque. But then, I said the same thing about San Juan Island, and have not done so....
We have spent many holidays in the islands, the Olympic Pen., Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island. Now we are aiming further afield, doing bucket list items.

(Made it to Galiano even though the plane was 10 minutes late.)