Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seeing that Nords just announced another trip to the mainland, I wondered what the airfare cost was like (our last trip to Kauai was a few years ago). Out of curiosity, I checked on the Web. Then, out of curiosity again, I looked to see what timeshare was available in Hawaii for us to exchange ours.

The end result is that I just booked a week for us in the end of November on the spur of the moment. Too much driving on the RV this year, and I want a fly-and-drive trip this time. We will spend time in Kona, which we have not been to.

Surfing the forum is an expensive past-time!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #742
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I are taking the Oceania Riveria cruise Dec 10-20. Called the Mayan Mistique. Stops are Grand Cayman Island, two in Mexico, Belize, Guatamala, Honduras and Key West. S/B fun... unless the world REALLY does end 12/20!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #743
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Out of curiosity, I checked on the Web. Then, out of curiosity again, I looked to see what timeshare was available in Hawaii for us to exchange ours.
You are probably aware of this website but BEAT OF HAWAII - Hawaii Travel Deals, Tips, Culture and Analysis is a good resource for Hawaii travel... well, all things Hawaii.

In any event, I envy your trip. It has been about five years since we've been there and the "tug" is turning into a full-scale "pull" to return.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #744
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The map likley reflects the natural situation where the divide was about 5 miles inland up the chicago river when it flowed into the lake.
The map likely illustrates the natural boundaries rather than the man-made Chicago "water steal" where they take fresh water from Michigan and dump treated sewage and rain water into the Mississippi collection area.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #745
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
In any event, I envy your trip. It has been about five years since we've been there and the "tug" is turning into a full-scale "pull" to return.
You do not have to envy me. Just go to the Web to look for a flight and click "buy".

An impetus for me to do this was that when I told my wife about the airfare (which looked so cheap after all that money we poured into the RV tank), my wife said that we still had some unused credits on our timeshare that would expire in Jan 2013. Use it or lose it. So, I decided to spend a bit of money to use the credits to go somewhere we have not been. We have been to Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the big island too, but we flew to Hilo and did not have time to spend in the Kona area.

Quite a few of our trips have been spurs of the moment like this. That makes life more exciting.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #746
Give me a forum ...

Leaving for Grand Cayman in the morning. I'm hoping to get some dives in although I haven't been diving in about 10 years. I put a new battery in my dive computer and it is working fine. The camera that worked with my housing died several years back but I found a plastic camera bag rated to 200 feet. I will try that with my old cell phone as a camera.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #747
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Seeing that Nords just announced another trip to the mainland, I wondered what the airfare cost was like (our last trip to Kauai was a few years ago). Out of curiosity, I checked on the Web. Then, out of curiosity again, I looked to see what timeshare was available in Hawaii for us to exchange ours.
Surfing the forum is an expensive past-time!
We regularly spend $650-$750 for round-trip airfare between Houston & Honolulu. It's an eight-hour redeye, which means you get a close approximation of real sleep in between all the cabin service and yakking over the PA system. It's much more expensive than flying through LAX or SFO, but I'm done with that torture. It's a lot easier (on your body) to fly the longest non-stop you can before making a connection-- or renting a car.

Of course that airfare isn't the real price, because if you want actual legroom then it's another $150-$200 round trip.

However that's still a bargain compared to our daughter flying home from mid-Dec to early Jan. That flight set her back over $1400. All part of the college fund.

In your case, surfing the forum is a lot cheaper than surfing the waves!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #748
Full time employment: Posting here.

they had some deals a while back to hawaii. $350ish r/t sticks in my mind from just about any major hub in the US. DW and I snagged $350ish r/t first class tickets from LAS-OGG for next memorial day on Alaska back in August. Surfing flyertalk's threads is the real expensive "hobby." It also developed a trip to Israel when they had their $350ish r/t JFK-TLV fire sale.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #749
Give me a forum ...

http://beatofhawaii.com/hawaii-deals...y-this-winter/

Quote:
If you thought we’d seen the end of the approx. $100 each way Hawaii deals, apparently we have not. When we last reported on these, validity was only for early December 2012. Now there are dates for the typically expensive snow bird season, in January and early February. Some of these extend to early June for just a little more.

Availability for these unadvertised Hawaii deals varies greatly by city and dates and will likely disappear quickly.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #750
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

However that's still a bargain compared to our daughter flying home from mid-Dec to early Jan. That flight set her back over $1400. All part of the college fund.
Don't forget that contracted ROTC cadets/midshipmen are eligible to fly Space-A. A flight from Houston to Sacramento and a couple days of lodging at Travis AFB should be much cheaper than $1400 when she comes home this summer.
Cruise
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #751
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cruise

Leaving Saturday for a 2 week cruise on Celebrity Eclipse out of Fort Lauderdale/

Will visit Oranjestad, Aruba, St. George's, Grenada, Castries, St. Lucia
Bridgetown, Barbados, St. Johns, Antigua, Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Labadee, Haiti and Nassau.
Most of the ports will be a first for us.

love being out in the ocean.

Looking forward to it...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #752
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm at Disney World right now....my travel for the year. Spent 12-12-12 in the Magic Kingdom.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'm at Disney World right now....my travel for the year. Spent 12-12-12 in the Magic Kingdom.
I'm going first to Kansas City for the holidays and then to Disneyland in January.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post

I'm going first to Kansas City for the holidays and then to Disneyland in January.
Wear comfortable shoes. I've not been to a Disney park before. Just had my 62nd birthday. I thought it was about time for a little magic in my life. Having fun!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #755

I hope you enjoy it. I go once or twice a year to either Disneyland or WDW with my grandchildren or my sister-in-law. My dad used to work at Disney in the 1940's as an animator, so our whole family likes to go.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #756
Give me a forum ...

Where is a good place to stay at Disney World? Was there about 25 years ago.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #757

We stayed at Port Orleans at WDW in 1994. We enjoyed it. It was a moderate resort. Took our granddaughter to Disneyland a couple of years ago when she was living in CA. I need to plan a trip to Walt Disney World in the next year or so, since she is now back on the east coast.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #758

We like Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter. They cost about $140 a night, maybe a little less with a sale. They are both quieter and very nice. As Dreamer said, they are considered "moderates". I've stayed at the value resorts once and it's very noisy with school groups, church groups, and smaller rooms. They cost about $120, so for me, it's worth the difference for more peaceful surroundings. They have beautiful deluxe resorts, but they are usually in the $300+ range. If you stay at any WDW hotel, they will pick you and your luggage up for free and put your luggage straight in your room. They will also take you back to the airport free and once you give them your luggage at the hotel, you never see it again until you get home.
This is probably all more than you want to know, but if you ever want more info, send me a message. I know way more about this that a person should! haha
Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #759
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Ally and Dreamer. We like "moderates" too and the ones mentioned sound like they give very good service. I'm glad you mentioned the school groups and such because I've forgotten how many kids are in the hotels there. Nice if they are yours but sometimes can be a bit annoying if they are too rambunctious.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #760

I don't notice the groups in the mods, just in the values. The trouble with school groups is that there are often few adults for a group of 50 or so teens. So even without misbehaving, they can be quite noisy.
Closed Thread