Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Nice summer. Just curious as to what site you go to book your houses in the foreign countries, if you don't mind sharing?
DW is the travel agent and does a brilliant job.

The places in England and France she booked this year from

Self Catering Villa Holidays, Apartments, Cottages, for Rental Worldwide

And in Ireland she used
http://www.homeaway.co.uk/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Alan, I like a few beers as much as the next person, but don't you think a whole week in a pub is just a bit excessive?

Yep, DW's relatives have been drinking there since the 1830's (she traced a direct ancestor as being a landlord there for a while)

Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #803
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
DW is the travel agent and does a brilliant job.

The places in England and France she booked this year from

Self Catering Villa Holidays, Apartments, Cottages, for Rental Worldwide

Alan, you have a wonderful set of travel plans.

The site you mentioned "Self Catering", have you used it before? I looked at a few rentals and they looked quite reasonable. There did not appear to be posted renter comments but maybe some selected snippets. How does one do the due diligence on this sort of rental? Any suggestions?

When you select a place to stay for a week, do you have in mind a village nearby and several attractions that lure you to that exact local? Maybe this is a dumb question but sometimes I struggle with whether we'd be happy in a quite setting for a full week. In the UK for instance, selecting a good location outside of maybe London is challenging for us. We have been in areas for a week with great hiking trails like Mammoth Lakes California (near east Yosemite entrance) so are not total newbies on this stuff.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Alan, you have a wonderful set of travel plans.

The site you mentioned "Self Catering", have you used it before? I looked at a few rentals and they looked quite reasonable. There did not appear to be posted renter comments but maybe some selected snippets. How does one do the due diligence on this sort of rental? Any suggestions?

When you select a place to stay for a week, do you have in mind a village nearby and several attractions that lure you to that exact local? Maybe this is a dumb question but sometimes I struggle with whether we'd be happy in a quite setting for a full week. In the UK for instance, selecting a good location outside of maybe London is challenging for us. We have been in areas for a week with great hiking trails like Mammoth Lakes California (near east Yosemite entrance) so are not total newbies on this stuff.
As I said above, DW does all the bookings, and she just browses the listings in areas she thinks we'll like, and we have never had a bad rental experience yet, and have gone to quite a few now in Spain and France as well as England and Ireland over the last 10 years. The 2 websites I gave above are the main ones she uses for the UK and Europe, and in the USA she mostly uses VRBO.com, which is now owned by homeaway, another site she uses regularly for trips. You can also buy insurance through homeaway (VRBO) in case of last minute cancellations and problems, although we've not done this.

Vacation Rentals Europe, Vacation Rental Homes in Europe, Europe Vacations, Villas, Apartments for Rent in Europe

She always researches the area using the web to look for nearby attractions, public transportation etc before deciding on a particular village.
self-catering
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #805
Full time employment: Posting here.

self-catering

We are doing the "self-catering" rental thing this summer in Italy for the month of June. We fly into Istanbul (cheap flight), then Rome for a week in an apartment we rented on VRBO near Campo de Fiori, then to the Amalfi coast for a week near Sorrento (VRBO) in a house we rented near the sea, then Venice for a couple of days, Cinque Terra (VRBO) for 5 days to hike from town to town, then finally a Villa near the Chianti area in Tuscany.

We have been to Italy for 2 weeks many years ago pre-kids, and we wanted to take the kids on an in-depth trip before we lose them to cars, girls and college.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #806

cardude,

That sounds like a wonderful adventure you're planning for yourselves, particularly your kids.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #807
Give me a forum ...

That's a darn nice trip! For a whole month! When my children were in the early teens, we could not have done anything like that, even if we had the money and wanted to spend it (which we did not). There was this thing called work that would get in the way.

I think I've got to plan some travel again without my RV. Been to Sorrento, and Venice (during the Carnival too), but would not mind spending some time again. Not been to Cinque Terra. Tuscany region alone is worth one summer. What to do, where to go? So many places...
Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #808
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Alan, I like a few beers as much as the next person, but don't you think a whole week in a pub is just a bit excessive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yep, DW's relatives have been drinking there since the 1830's (she traced a direct ancestor as being a landlord there for a while)
So compared to drinking in a pub for over 170 years, I take it you don't think a week in a pub is excessive at all.

-ERD50
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #809

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So compared to drinking in a pub for over 170 years, I take it you don't think a week in a pub is excessive at all.

-ERD50
You got it
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #810
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This weekend I have been discussing my next trip to go to Guatemalan clinics, possibly in March or April. Next week I am meeting with a colleague of mine who is helping building an orphanage in Ecuador for 500 homeless kids. I may go there in June / July to take care of these children and other people living nearby. From the pictures I have seen, this area in Ecuador is quite unsafe, but it is my destiny to go and help. Then El Salvador in November...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #811

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
This weekend I have been discussing my next trip to go to Guatemalan clinics, possibly in March or April. Next week I am meeting with a colleague of mine who is helping building an orphanage in Ecuador for 500 homeless kids. I may go there in June / July to take care of these children and other people living nearby. From the pictures I have seen, this area in Ecuador is quite unsafe, but it is my destiny to go and help. Then El Salvador in November...
Wow. Now those are worthwhile trips. Be safe.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #812
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaver View Post
Im going to Vietnam and Myanmar. Too much bad news coming out of Thailand. Tourist murders, political protests, Russians, not such a great value anymore, etc.
Myanmar was great. Bagan was amazing.
Vietnam has grown a lot since I was last there. It's modernizing very quickly and still very cheap. I love it!
I did visit Thailand. It is definitely getting more expensive.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaver
Myanmar was great. Bagan was amazing.
Vietnam has grown a lot since I was last there. It's modernizing very quickly and still very cheap. I love it!
I did visit Thailand. It is definitely getting more expensive.
We enjoyed MM as well. It's getting more and more expensive. Prices were triple my 2007 guidebook!!!! Glad you had a great time. Inle was the highlight for us.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Do you plan on continuing to do volunteer free clinic work after you ER?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #815
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, Could not PAY me to set foot in Vietnam. Truly.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #816

Absolutely.

In fact, volunteering abroad is one of the main reasons why I would like to FIRE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
Do you plan on continuing to do volunteer free clinic work after you ER?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #817

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Absolutely.

In fact, volunteering abroad is one of the main reasons why I would like to FIRE.
That is quite admirable. Are you doing that because of religious beliefs or just altruism?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #818

Nothing to do with my religious beliefs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
That is quite admirable. Are you doing that because of religious beliefs or just altruism?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #819

Flying to Melbourne, Australia tomorrow to do the Great Ocean Drive and play some golf. Looking forward to the holiday.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Flying to Melbourne, Australia tomorrow to do the Great Ocean Drive and play some golf. Looking forward to the holiday.

Awesome