Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopping over to Seattle for the weekend. Renting a condo in Belltown from VRBO. Attending a big, fancy wedding at the Edgewater Hotel. New dress and high heeled shoes!! Can you tell I don't get out much?

Heading out next week on our annual late summer tired-of-the-heat RV trip to the mountains of NM and CO. We plan to hang out there until the first "cold" front blows through here in late September, dropping the daytime highs into the low 90's.

Last edited:
Heading to Baltimore cruise port for a 7 day trip to Bermuda. Going to snorkel, fish and hit a resort for a day trip.

We are flying to NYC and have rented an apartment for 10 days in the West Village. After that we'll take Amtrak to Richmond, VA then we'll rent a car and drive to Williamsburg, VA for a family wedding. After that we'll explore the area for a couple of days then return to Portland, OR. This will all be around Thanksgiving.

This will be my first big vacation since retiring in May.

DW and I spent the weekend in Rochester, NY Drove down and I was impressed with the east side of Rochester and suburbs. Lot cleaner and in better shape than I remember. Went to Dinosaur BBQ for dinner on Saturday night and stayed in the Pittsford area. Drove home along the south side of Lake Ontario.

DW and I just booked a dive trip to Fiji for late May, 2014. We will spend one week at a beach resort that caters to divers and the second week aboard the Naia liveaboard dive boat. Four to fives dives per day with meals throughout. Lots of time to daydream about this one.

Garden Island Resort - Taveuni Fiji islands - World Class Diving and Vacation Resort in South Pacific

Liveaboard Scuba Diving on NAI'A - Fiji and Beyond
Sounds wonderful, (but don't drink the Kava, it tastes like mud).....I passed through Fiji, (Suva and Nadi) in 1963 and again, (equally briefly), in 1966, but never had a chance to do the Gardner McKay schtick.....enjoy!!

Going to Central America next week. Will have no access to the Internet for at least a couple of days. Stocking up on mosquito repellent.

DW and I just booked a dive trip to Fiji for late May, 2014. We will spend one week at a beach resort that caters to divers and the second week aboard the Naia liveaboard dive boat. Four to fives dives per day with meals throughout. Lots of time to daydream about this one.

Garden Island Resort - Taveuni Fiji islands - World Class Diving and Vacation Resort in South Pacific

Liveaboard Scuba Diving on NAI'A - Fiji and Beyond

This sounds wonderful! I hope you will do a trip report with lots of photos when you return.

Last week I didn't have any travel planned, but this week I took a road trip to Alberta. Now on the home stretch. Why? Because I want to, and because I can, that's why. :cool:

In 16 days I fly to Osaka for 14 nights in Japan using 2 base camps: Kyoto and Okayama.

Why Okayama? It's 90 minutes to Naoshima Island and 40 min by bullet train to Hiroshima. Both will tempt me to return for a second day but I've also found more half day trips (which don't involve temples) then I'll be able to fit in.

After a week using Kyoto as a base camp (Nara, Osaka, Toyota museum(s) in Nagoya) it's Mt. Koya-San for a night then Osaka and the airport.

Hey, the boys are in Japan right now,
on their way to Yokohama. All I can say is that wifi is really hard to come by, but they have the toll road truck stop/convenience stores down to a science there!

It has been an easy drive except for police stops. They arrived at the port of Sakaiminato by ferry from Vladivostok on Friday and need to get to Yokohama by Wednesday, so been enjoying a few tourist stops along the way. The tolls are quite high if you plan to use the major highways, but the back roads are pretty nice, just harder to navigate when going cross country.

Hope you enjoy your trip! It has gotta be easier than driving a 24 foot bus the long way across it! Although they did really enjoy the ferry ride and spending three days on the Sea of Japan.

Bad luck, we had to cancel the trip to Namibia that was planned to be the first trip in retirement.
DH' s spinal problems increased and it looks like he is heading for 2nd surgery soon.
Life is what happens...
Best wishes to all fellow travellers!

Wow Chris, really sorry to hear that. Best wishes for a successful outcome and that you get to take the trip to Namibia once recovery is complete.

Hey, the boys are in Japan right now,
on their way to Yokohama. All I can say is that wifi is really hard to come by, but they have the toll road truck stop/convenience stores down to a science there!

It has been an easy drive except for police stops. They arrived at the port of Sakaiminato by ferry from Vladivostok on Friday and need to get to Yokohama by Wednesday, so been enjoying a few tourist stops along the way. The tolls are quite high if you plan to use the major highways, but the back roads are pretty nice, just harder to navigate when going cross country.

Hope you enjoy your trip! It has gotta be easier than driving a 24 foot bus the long way across it! Although they did really enjoy the ferry ride and spending three days on the Sea of Japan.
Western guys driving a yellow school bus through back roads in Japan? That must be causing quite a scene.

Western guys driving a yellow school bus through back roads in Japan? That must be causing quite a scene.

Haha, probably! I got lots of emails when they were in Siberia from folks who saw them, and even a dashcam photo from one guy! But always friendly. Even the cops, after a while. :)

They are in Nagoya now, taking a rest for a couple of days for the first time. Almost done with that end of the world!

North and South Carolina for two weeks starting next week, then a week north of Toronto for a family visit and wedding.

Cruise in South America in Feb so we will spend time in Chile before the cruise and about three weeks in Argentina/Uruguay before returning home.

Working on an April/May trip to Greece. We will pack light and tour at our own speed through the mainland and islands. Then back through Malta.

Why stay home?

North and South Carolina for two weeks starting next week, then a week north of Toronto for a family visit and wedding.

Cruise in South America in Feb so we will spend time in Chile before the cruise and about three weeks in Argentina/Uruguay before returning home.

Working on an April/May trip to Greece. We will pack light and tour at our own speed through the mainland and islands. Then back through Malta.

Why stay home?
+10

I am adding Mazatlan to my normal trip of visit mom in Oregon, visit friends in the SF Bay area trip. My buddy went to high school there and his very nice friends own a hotel, so that make lodging much simpler.

Haven't been for 30 years I wonder if I will recognize anything.

Next Saturday, we are driving across the state to board the Carnival Dream in Port Canaveral. We will be cruising for 7 days to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya. Nothing fancy. Just a getaway that doesn't involve dealing with airports and where someone else does the cooking!

In my limited perception of Japan, most back roads were barely wide enough for a full-sized car...

DH would not disagree. But the wider toll roads are such that, in the words of our buddy traveling with him: "the toll fares are emptying pockets of money sooner than another ATM can be found".

A far cry from the desolate but free roads in Siberia. They've made it sea-to-sea as of today, in the suburbs of Tokyo prepping the bus for her trip across the Pacific.

DH would not disagree. But the wider toll roads are such that, in the words of our buddy traveling with him: "the toll fares are emptying pockets of money sooner than another ATM can be found".
That's why the trains in Japan are an attractive option. Roads aren't free or cheap.

Been back from AK for a month, now going to head to Michigan. BIL has a new sailboat in Muskegon, we have a new Ally 17 canoe to play with, and there are numerous bike trails to explore. Only haves couple of weeks, though - our son has his professional acting debut coming up. Can't miss that.

I'm loving retirement....

Next Saturday, we are driving across the state to board the Carnival Dream in Port Canaveral. We will be cruising for 7 days to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya. Nothing fancy. Just a getaway that doesn't involve dealing with airports and where someone else does the cooking!

Let me know if you have any questions about Cozumel. DW and I FIRE'd here in late May. Enjoy your visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom