Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #861
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
March is here, only 3 weeks to go before our next extended vacation. We leave on March 29th for England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Spain, France, Norway, Iceland and The Faroe Islands. Back in September, and the only flight will be from England to Marjorca, the rest is via ship, train and automobile.
Have a great time !
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
March is here, only 3 weeks to go before our next extended vacation. We leave on March 29th for England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Spain, France, Norway, Iceland and The Faroe Islands. Back in September, and the only flight will be from England to Marjorca, the rest is via ship, train and automobile.
It sounds like a wonderful trip. I hope you both have a wonderful time!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #863
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It sounds like a wonderful trip. I hope you both have a wonderful time!
Thanks, DW has worked really hard on organizing this, she is a great "travel agent."
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #864
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
A Phoenix trip in March or April, and Vegas in May. I have to see the Pawn Stars in action.

We stopped by. It was disappointing. We were at their shop 2+ years ago, and it was nice. THIS time, a month ago, it was loaded with crap ... ummmm.... souveniers from the show. Chumlee tee-shirts. Pawn Stars key chains. Etc. Most of the cool stuff is gone. The shop now seems to be about the show. Alsok, there is a 15-20 minute wait to get into the shop. Oh well... success ruins so much.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #865
Give me a forum ...

Ah I was thinking of Majorca for late April but its still supposedly pretty rainy.

Going to London instead, but there should be things to do indoors if the weather isn't great.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #866
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! I am soooo envious of all the fun & frolic with the travel & cheap airfare too!

We did not take a vacation last year while I fixed up the last of my bldgs for sale, so we are sneaking in a trip this month to Little Cayman Island --
this is our 3rd time there, but it is incredibly relaxing & lotsa diving (3 dives a day) along the Bloody Bay wall (Bloody Bay Wall - Little Cayman - Reviews of Bloody Bay Wall - TripAdvisor).
THis is my last pre-Fire trip....after that, well --- who let the Dogs Out?!?

Hoping to go visit Indonesia in June/July & Bora Bora (my special request...tee hee ) in September for my BIG B-Day....
Starting ER with a Big BANG!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #867
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Ah I was thinking of Majorca for late April but its still supposedly pretty rainy.

Going to London instead, but there should be things to do indoors if the weather isn't great.

We'll be in Majorca in April, rain or shine, but I agree with you that London is a much better place to be when it is wet.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #868
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Wow, that even sounds better than my 3 days in Idaho! I hope you provide a trip report (with photos) for us.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #869
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All of these trips sound so good. I don't have anything planned right now. I hope everyone has a wonderful time and trip reports and pictures would be nice.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #870
Full time employment: Posting here.

Family holiday (mum, 5 sisters and yours truly) to Taiwan for a week. Boarding my flight tomorrow. We spent a week last year in Taiwan and like it so much we are going again. Took a fair bit of organizing getting our 8 seater van and driver, deciding and agreeing on the route, hotels and activities.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #871

3 day getaway to Monterrey in mid April and 7 day cruise in the south Carib next February with a bunch of other friends (no - not on Carnival). These are in addition to her yearly girls trip to Phoenix in February and my annual guys golf weekend in August.

We haven't taken a trip together for a couple years so it's nice to have some upcoming stuff planned.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #872
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired on Friday and DH and I plan on heading out in our fifth wheel the first week of April for our first big trip:
  • a few nights in Atlantic City to watch DD run her first half-marathon
  • a few nights in VA visiting DD and other family
  • then off to Nasheville, TN to pick up the Natchez Trace heading south. Hope to spend a week or so driving/bike riding/camping in that area.
  • then to New Orleans for a week or so
  • then to the Houston, TX area for a week or so
  • a few days around San Antonio, TX
  • then a couple weeks heading home via Shreveport, Memphis, Nasheville
  • stop in VA again to visit DD
  • Home (NH) by early June
Suggestions of sights to see in any of these areas welcomed!

We like history, nature, walking tours of cities, just about anything "neat to see". Not big into "places to shop".

I hear Vicksburg might be worth stopping by and we want to get the the Johnson Space Center. Everything else seems to be whatever catches out eye at this point. I know they say the Alamo can be "disappointing" - but we will stop by and see it.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #873

Planning for a week on the beach just south of Cancun during the middle week of April along with a lot of (mostly RV) camping in the Saint Francois Mountains area this spring, summer and early autumn.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #874

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Retired on Friday and DH and I plan on heading out in our fifth wheel the first week of April for our first big trip:
  • a few nights in Atlantic City to watch DD run her first half-marathon
  • a few nights in VA visiting DD and other family
  • then off to Nasheville, TN to pick up the Natchez Trace heading south. Hope to spend a week or so driving/bike riding/camping in that area.
  • then to New Orleans for a week or so
  • then to the Houston, TX area for a week or so
  • a few days around San Antonio, TX
  • then a couple weeks heading home via Shreveport, Memphis, Nasheville

We like history, nature, walking tours of cities, just about anything "neat to see". Not big into "places to shop".

I hear Vicksburg might be worth stopping by and we want to get the the Johnson Space Center. Everything else seems to be whatever catches out eye at this point. I know they say the Alamo can be "disappointing" - but we will stop by and see it.
We love the Natchez Trace Parkway and have travelled it from Nashville to Natchez a few times. It is the quickest and most direct route from from Nashville to Natchez, even though the speed limit is 50 MPH. Many people bike on the Trace and there are parallel bike trails on some parts. Nice campgrounds (no hook ups, no reservations) at Jeff Busby and Rocky Springs in MS. Rocky Springs fills up with Canadians this time of the year.

There are several antebellum mansions open for tours in Natchez. MR. D's Restaurant in Lorman a short distance from the Trace is worth a stop.

The Commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the Siege of Vicksburg has been moved from July to Memorial Day so as to not compete with the 150th anniversary commemoration of the Battle of Gettysburg in July. Also, it's rather warm in July at Vicksburg.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #875
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post

Can't speak to the southern portion of your trip, but if you havn't been there before, I'd highly recommend a stop by Newport, RI on the way back to your neighborhood to tour some the summer palaces of the gilded age crowd from late 1800's to early 1900's. It's really an interesting peak into another time and another lifestyle. The historical society that runs them does a very good job. Docents seemed very well informed when we last went there. Newport also has an interesting historic area with more modest colonial architecture (away from the mansions) to walk around if you're into that.

Newport Mansions | The Preservation Society of Newport County

Have a great trip.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #876
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyj View Post
Can't speak to the southern portion of your trip, but if you havn't been there before, I'd highly recommend a stop by Newport, RI on the way back to your neighborhood to tour some the summer palaces of the gilded age crowd from late 1800's to early 1900's. It's really an interesting peak into another time and another lifestyle. The historical society that runs them does a very good job. Docents seemed very well informed when we last went there. Newport also has an interesting historic area with more modest colonial architecture (away from the mansions) to walk around if you're into that.

Newport Mansions | The Preservation Society of Newport County

Have a great trip.
I'll second that. These amazing "cottages", used for only a few weeks a year, are icons of capitalism and excess from over 100 years ago and are definitely worth a visit. (Afterwards you will feel really, really LBYM!). I have not seen all of them, but Rosecliff was my favorite. The Breakers was totally over the top. Chateau Sur Mer was gothic Victorian, gloomy, and reminded me of the house from Psycho.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #877
Recycles dryer sheets

Just found out that I am going to Copenhagen for a week at the end of May; decided to add a month of wandering around England and Scotland.

I am also planning a trip to Ecuador in the fall.

I love ER.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #878
Give me a forum ...

Contemplating a trip to Prague, late May - early June......anyone been?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #879
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Contemplating a trip to Prague, late May - early June......anyone been?
No, but I am going in July. Please post your observations.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #880
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
No, but I am going in July. Please post your observations.
We started off thinking of a 3 city trip, Vilnius, Riga & Tallinn....places I've also never been to, but have wanted to visit........then we looked at the comparative airfares, (I hate paying more than I have to to sit on a damn plane), and the time spent getting from one to another, etc, etc.......so today we figured that what we save on airfare is best spent on the ground, and started looking at apartments to rent for the duration....either that or Pensions.

Early days yet, but here are a couple links:

Prague apartments, Accommodation Prague, Aparthotel Prague

http://www.praguecheapflats.com/

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread