Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
God bless the Baja... I don't want to leave and go back to Raincouver... :(

This is the perfect time of the year to be on the Gulf of California. Loreto to La Paz in a kayak.

dj Mexico (2).jpg

We just returned from a Road Scholar tour of India. Fascinating!!!

We just returned from a Road Scholar tour of India. Fascinating!!!

Brat, we're glad you're back safely and had a good trip. We are expecting a full report, preferably with pictures!

:LOL:

We are in Mexico now until January, then (probably) to Cuba for a few weeks, then to Taiwan. We will be there for a few months, during which I want to circumnavigate the island on a bicycle and summit Jade Mountain

I have nothing planned in the very near future except maybe 4 or 5 days in NYC after the New Year to visit my son. When I retire next July, I will plan some sort of big trip with one of my cousins who loves to globe trot. We are kicking around the idea of a couple of weeks in New Zealand.

Brat, we're glad you're back safely and had a good trip. We are expecting a full report, preferably with pictures!

Husband is culling them down... he took well over 1,000 and has started deleting out of focus and redundant pics. This will take time.

What was most important couldn't capture in photos... the resiliency of the people.

+1

Would like to hear about your itinerary. DW and I are considering a trip to India in the next couple years.

Going to The City by the Bay for Thxgiving and a Caribbean cruise during the new year holidays.

I am heading to Dublin, Ireland tomorrow to watch the Ireland vs New Zealand rugby match on Sunday. Heading back on Monday.

Booking a weekend trip to Belize for me in January, but leaving DH (the lucky dog) down there for a few weeks to stay with a friend who retired there last year in the Placencia area.

We actually took our buddy there for his first vacation out of the US in his life, back in 1997 or so. He fell in love with it, and started making plans then to move there when he retired.

Nice to see a plan come together for him, and he and DH will have a great time after I come back home to work. How's that working spouse/retired husband thing working out for me? But I'm not bitter....:flowers::D

And a quick trip up in December to Vermont to see my sister and family, and to see SNOW, such a novelty for us Southerners.

+1

Would like to hear about your itinerary. DW and I are considering a trip to India in the next couple years.

The easiest look at the itinerary is to go to the Road Scholar website and look for India: Treasures of the North and South. One advantage of their programs is that not only do you see the sights but they have home visits and spend time explaining social and economic concerns and the role religion plays in all of this.

There were only 15 in our group vs the 20+ for most other tour operations. Everyone in our group were college graduates, a couple with advanced degrees. One couple had worked for international corporations with operations in India, this was not their first visit. It was interesting to hear from them details of India's distribution system from a corporate POV (efficiency is not a factor as India wants to maximize employment and labor is so cheap).

Can I just say that were it not for the long flying time, and the brutality of jet lag, I would travel abroad all the time. The excitement of experiencing a different country never gets old to me. Still on our list, but getting closer to the top, is India and S. Africa. Only the thought of having to undergo the agony of getting there and back has kept them bookmarked instead of booked.

Our next two foreign soil trips are to S. America - Ecuador, then Peru - where both the flying time and time change are minimal compared to other parts of the globe.

For those of you that love to fly, and breeze through jet lag? I envy you!

Can I just say that were it not for the long flying time, and the brutality of jet lag, I would travel abroad all the time. The excitement of experiencing a different country never gets old to me. Still on our list, but getting closer to the top, is India and S. Africa. Only the thought of having to undergo the agony of getting there and back has kept them bookmarked instead of booked.

Our next two foreign soil trips are to S. America - Ecuador, then Peru - where both the flying time and time change are minimal compared to other parts of the globe.

For those of you that love to fly, and breeze through jet lag? I envy you!

Me, too. I hate flying, especially, the ones that requires 1 to 2 stops. And I am on coach class budget.

Less than a month after returning from a week in Barcelona, followed by a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise.......we're off again......leaving for Rome, (via Aeroflot, with a four hour layover in Moscow......perhaps we'll get to bomb Chechnya on the way? ;)), for a couple days before catching another discounted repositioning cruise with another line...heading back to Ft. Lauderdale.

(Since we don't use the spas, visit the 'cost extra' fancy restaurants, run up bar bills, buy 'stuff' in the stores, take the expensive shore excursions, have our pics taken by their photographers, etc, etc, they don't make a whole lot of money off us.)
So you got a trans atlantic both ways? I always though you'd have to stay across the pond the entire summer to do that!

Me, too. I hate flying, especially, the ones that requires 1 to 2 stops. And I am on coach class budget.

If you can't arrange stopovers to break up the long sit then consider Delta's Comfort Class. We choose that and didn't have issues with swollen ankles or numb fannies.

So you got a trans atlantic both ways? I always though you'd have to stay across the pond the entire summer to do that!

Two one way trans atlantics........in Oct we took the Nieuw Amsterdam from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale, thence Toronto........and this Wednesday rode Aeroflot* from Toronto to Rome (where it's 12.30 a.m. and I'm now semi wide awake and typing this) via Moscow.................Sunday we catch the Constellation from Civitavecchia (again to Ft. Lauderdale).

A tad impulsive, perhaps, but we figured a) we're not getting any younger, and the clock is ticking, and b) even with four vacations this year, (we live very frugally otherwise, and even when travelling), we're still in line to come in at spending less than we make, (and no touching the principal).

(*Aeroflot......had never flown them before, (and had Cold War images of burly Babushka flight attendants dressed in coveralls :LOL:), but their fares were considerably cheaper than the competition, (for this trip anyway), despite the fact that we had to go out of our way, (I also HATE flying...or rather 'being stuck in a plane'), and sit at Moscow airport for four hours waiting for a connection)..........they were great! The meals were 'good' (by airline standards), and HOT. They have now joined the list of our 'preferred' airlines.)

Last edited:
Just returned from 3 days in Guadalajara to buy a native car. Our 1993 Explorer will be my utility vehicle now (with expired BC plates) and the shiny "new" 2008 Nissan X-Trail will be our nice car. Very positive experience so far.

We enjoyed the 30% humidity because PV is exceptionally humid (80%) for November.

Two one way trans atlantics........in Oct we took the Nieuw Amsterdam from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale, thence Toronto........and this Wednesday rode Aeroflot* from Toronto to Rome (where it's 12.30 a.m. and I'm now semi wide awake and typing this) via Moscow.................Sunday we catch the Constellation from Civitavecchia (again to Ft. Lauderdale).

A tad impulsive, perhaps, but we figured a) we're not getting any younger, and the clock is ticking, and b) even with four vacations this year, (we live very frugally otherwise, and even when travelling), we're still in line to come in at spending less than we make, (and no touching the principal).

(*Aeroflot......had never flown them before, (and had Cold War images of burly Babushka flight attendants dressed in coveralls :LOL:), but their fares were considerably cheaper than the competition, (for this trip anyway), despite the fact that we had to go out of our way, (I also HATE flying...or rather 'being stuck in a plane'), and sit at Moscow airport for four hours waiting for a connection)..........they were great! The meals were 'good' (by airline standards), and HOT. They have now joined the list of our 'preferred' airlines.)

Nemo-

Glad you enjoyed the flight, Aeroflot has come a long way in the past decade. Which airport did you transit; Scheremetyevo or Domodedovo?

I traveled in the FSU a lot in the late '90s and early '00s, and it was very different then. In fact, your imagery is not far off from the reality of flying in Ilyushin and Tupolev aircraft. I would board and hope that the cabin looked the way it did (like a 1950s living room that was lived in roughly, never updated and occassionally cleaned) because they spent all their maintenance budget on the important stuff. :ermm:

. Which airport did you transit; Scheremetyevo or Domodedovo?
Sheremetyvo..........Quite impressed that, among other things, the airport P.A. announcements in Russian & English were clear & concise, unlike the "What did they just say?" one often gets elsewhere........(not that I speak Russian, just extrapolating from the English ones).

reality of flying in Ilyushin and Tupolev aircraft.

Disappointed that we didn't get to fly in an Ilyushin, (they still have them at Aeroglot, but the major components of their fleet are Boeings and Airbuses..so I guess the odds were against us)

I recall, in 1969, watching a Polish LOT airliner land in Amsterdam, with the drag parachute popping out from behind......which I'm sure perpetuated my impression of Soviet influenced air travel.

(Right now we're overnighting in Civitavecchia, and, shades of our Czech Republic trip during the 'great flood of 2013', it's raining.)

Heading to Arizona soon, and planning a trip to retrace portions of the Mason Dixon line
also heading for az right after the Tday traffic. my 2nd yr snowbirding there. leaving earlier this year than last; watching the snow out the window, next year may be even earlier

also heading for az right after the Tday traffic. my 2nd yr snowbirding there. leaving earlier this year than last; watching the snow out the window, next year may be even earlier

Today Southern Arizona 30 miles North of Mexico.
So far a high of 31 and 2 inches of snow, 1.3 inches of total precipitation. I still have 2 hummingbirds coming to the feeders.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131124_130353.png
    ForumRunner_20131124_130353.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom