Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We built a trip to South America and Panama around a Feb. 14 day SA cruise. Got a call early last week with a 'move over offer' I guess the ship was overbooked. The offer was too good to refuse..full refund, free cruise of our choosing with an upgraded cabin.

Now we are considering just packing carry on eacg and going to the beaches in Thailand for seven or eight weeks...as long as the political issues remain calm. Thai bhat is at a low rate as well so it is a good time to go.

We built a trip to South America and Panama around a Feb. 14 day SA cruise. Got a call early last week with a 'move over offer' I guess the ship was overbooked. The offer was too good to refuse..full refund, free cruise of our choosing with an upgraded cabin.

Now we are considering just packing carry on eacg and going to the beaches in Thailand for seven or eight weeks...as long as the political issues remain calm. Thai bhat is at a low rate as well so it is a good time to go.

With the money you're saving between the cruise cancellation and the low baht consider a short cruise as well once you're in Thailand. We did one that was Phuket-Langkawi-Singapore and back. Quite enjoyed it. They also have longer ones as well. Singapore is quite the cruise hub.

On a wonderful trip now with DW. :D

Avoiding the eastern US weather makes it even more enjoyable. :dance:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 22
Sept/Oct 28 day cruise on Norwegian......Copenhagen to Copenhagen loop then repositioning to Miami.

Heading to Vietnam in a few weeks for Tet. Eager to get out of this cold :)

I want to plan a trip to Egypt and Jordan to see the pyramids and Petra.

I went to China in 2010 and I went to Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil in 2013. My job is not secure, but I am currently working, so it can be hard to find the time for these adventures, but I don't know if I will be able to afford these trips (although I keep them low cost) when I retire early. We shall see.

I just booked a week in Venice in April. We're really looking forward to it. It will be our sixth trip to Italy in 7 years.

Trips

Going to the Phillipines end of the month for 2 weeks for a medical mission, staying on Boracay so planning on enjoying the beach too. Flying back to Hawaii and meeting DW there for 2 weeks.
Found a 21 day all inclusive trip to China through a local university in June for 3k so thinking about that. Al Retirement is great!

Thanks for the info Koogie. We just booked our air to Bangkok this week-leaving in 8 days for 7 weeks. Convinced DW that we can do this with only carry on bags. We will only book hotels for a week in advance. The currency issue is a very valid point.

We put off a trip to South Africa for a year or so and saved about 20 percent simply because of currency fluctuations. Our Canadian dollar has been strong for a few years so we have travelled extensively in the US and taken a number of cruises that were priced in USD. Now that our dollar is weak we may re-focus to other places on our list that have a cost advantage for us.

Spain and France in late May 2014, Portland-Seattle in early September 2014, Hawaii in April 2015. Lots of local travel in between.

Just got back from a very nice 3 day get away to Chicago. Flight to Midway, "L" into the city, stay at the Palmer House. shopping and eating on State Street and Michigan Avenue, Art Institute. All easily walkable/public transportation. It was a nostalgic trip for me as I grew up in a Chicago suburb and worked several years downtown--Marshall Fields and Wiebolts. Both long gone, but State is still a great street!

Just got back from a very nice 3 day get away to Chicago. Flight to Midway, "L" into the city, stay at the Palmer House. shopping and eating on State Street and Michigan Avenue, Art Institute. All easily walkable/public transportation. It was a nostalgic trip for me as I grew up in a Chicago suburb and worked several years downtown--Marshall Fields and Wiebolts. Both long gone, but State is still a great street!

Good to see that visitors enjoy Chicago in the winter. I still remember the train set on display at Marshall Fields at Christmas time.

Getting ready for a ski trip next week to Colorado. First time on skis in over ten years, so a little nervous, but I used to be a pretty good skier so not such a big deal. We'll be renting equipment this time -- I got rid of my obsolete skis and boots.

Getting ready for a ski trip next week to Colorado. First time on skis in over ten years, so a little nervous, but I used to be a pretty good skier so not such a big deal. We'll be renting equipment this time -- I got rid of my obsolete skis and boots.

If you haven't been downhill skiing for 10 years, you'll be amazed at the capabilities of parabolic skis. I used to fall - regularly - and never do on parabolics. We're planning on going over March break down in MT at Bridger Bowl. But wear a helmet - my niece who is an expert skier / instructor suffered some brain damage in a wipe out while skiing a couple of years ago. I didn't realize how prevalent that was until I researched it after her accident.
Have loads of fun!

Just booked a New England and Canada cruise for late August early September. This will be my wife's last vacation from work before she joins me in retirement in December. Then we have to decide whether to go to Europe or Australia for our long awaited retirement celebration!

If you haven't been downhill skiing for 10 years, you'll be amazed at the capabilities of parabolic skis.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've heard about parabolic skis, and now I'm really anxious to try them out. It's especially encouraging for DW, who is just somewhere between beginner and intermediate level.

I'm planning to ride my motorcycle to Alaska in June. 8500 miles in three weeks. Practicing this weekend with a 1400 mile, three-day jaunt through the Trans-Pecos region of Texas (Big Bend, Presidio,Alpine,etc). This also involves tent-camping!

Just finished (not planned, I don't generally let people know when I'll be away from the house) a big west coast road trip.

Drove over 6000 miles from Ohio, to Oregon for a wedding. Then down to the bay area to visit family. Then enjoyed driving the coast highway from Monterey down through Big Sur. We finished it off with a fun helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon.

DS has a long college winter break, so the three of us enjoyed getting to know the new car.

Amazingly, we hit no bad weather. Maybe a little wind blown snow in Wyoming, but that was it.

Just finished (not planned, I don't generally let people know when I'll be away from the house) a big west coast road trip.

Drove over 6000 miles from Ohio, to Oregon for a wedding. Then down to the bay area to visit family. Then enjoyed driving the coast highway from Monterey down through Big Sur. We finished it off with a fun helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon.

DS has a long college winter break, so the three of us enjoyed getting to know the new car.

Amazingly, we hit no bad weather. Maybe a little wind blown snow in Wyoming, but that was it.

Sounds like a great road trip.

I explored Washington and Oregon last summer and am planning another road trip to eastern Oregon in the spring.

To be followed by a trip to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom