Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #1021
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Ten years ago after DW survived her breast cancer surgery this was our celebratory trip, although from Vancouver to Banff to Lake Louise to Jasper back to Vancouver. Stayed in the classic hotels (the ones that are now Fairmonts). What a great trip that was! You will love it.
So glad that your wife is well and you had that great trip!

We have driven thru this area a few yrs ago, except for Jasper, but friends who have never been before ... Maybe not even to Canada, wanted us to try this Trip. We know the scenery will be spectacular...spending 1 night on the train should be a hoot and have always wanted to stay in those Fairmont Hotels...so thanks for confirming we made a good decision!

Ps..heard the night sky can be spectacular around Jasper because its so dark...but its always mentioned for winter months. I hope we are lucky enough to be able to see more stars, etc. than at home...what a bonus that would be!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #1022
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
BTW your pictures are not showing.
The Czech Republic slideshow? (If I click on the link I can see them, but perhaps others cannot.......will 'Czech' it out...)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 07-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #1023
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The Czech Republic slideshow? (If I click on the link I can see them, but perhaps others cannot.......will 'Czech' it out...)
OK now!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #1024
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doing the Landmannalaugar-Skógar trek in Iceland the first week of Sept. I'm going to stay a 3 or 4 days in Reykjavík before hand and 1 day after. If anyone has suggestions on good things to see/do in iceland i'm all ears.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #1025
Recycles dryer sheets

When you are in Reykjavik I recommend doing the Blue Lagoon. A large geothermal spa that is an experience. It is a short drive from Reykjavik and there are local buses that will take you there also. We were there last September.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #1026
Give me a forum ...

Just booked a week in the Okanagan Valley for winery tours in mid-September. Half the time staying at Naramata Bench, the rest at Osoyoos in the south. Travelling with another couple, we booked 2BR suites in both places.

It should be a gastronomic delight. Plus many mellow moments!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #1027
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Just booked a week in the Okanagan Valley for winery tours in mid-September. Half the time staying at Naramata Bench, the rest at Osoyoos in the south. Travelling with another couple, we booked 2BR suites in both places.

It should be a gastronomic delight. Plus many mellow moments!
I'd love to hear a bit about it after your trip, I'm just 3.5 hours southeast of Osoyoos but have never been up that way.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #1028
Give me a forum ...

We know the proprietors of 2 vineyards: Burrowing Owl and Rustico Estate. Be glad to report back around September 21st.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #1029

DW and I are traveling to Sarasota & Dunedin, FL for several days; checking them out as potential retirement locations. Would be interested in what suggestions folks have on what to see and where to visit.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #1030
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
DW and I are traveling to Sarasota & Dunedin, FL for several days; checking them out as potential retirement locations. Would be interested in what suggestions folks have on what to see and where to visit.
If I was coming as a tourist I would spend an afternoon in downtown Sarastota checking out the shops and stopping at one of the many outside cafes ( providing it is not too hot ) for an appetizer & a glass of wine . I would also spend an evening there at one of the jazz cafes . I would take a ride through St. Armand's and stop at Columbia restaurant for there 1925 salad and another glass of wine . I would continue through St. Armands & drive through Longboat Key connecting to Anna Marie Island . I would eat lunch at one of the beachside restaurants ( probably the beach house ) and just enjoy the view . I would then return via the bridge to Bradenton which would connect to rt.41 where I would pass the Ringling Museum and stop for a visit . Another day I would drive down Rt.41 to VeniceFl.after another lunch with wine of course I would drive to Casperon Beach ( a totally natural beach ) and since you pass Sharky's on the way back another libation . Heading back on route 41 I would turn left on Albee road , follow that to the beach and turn right onto Casey Key . Drive past unbelievable homes including Stephen King"s until you reach the end and connect up with rt.41 again.Do not believe the toursit booklets that Phillipi Creek Oyster Bar is good . It is awful ! Good seafood is at little dives close to the bay . Have a great trip !
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #1031
Give me a forum ...

If you have any time left after following Moemg's excellent itinerary, stop in at John's Pass in St Pete's Beach on the way to Dunedin.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #1032
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
For a good meal, I highly recommend Yoder's Restaurant at 3434 Bahia Vista St., Sarasota FL. Great food at a better than fair price. The fried chicken is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
... stopping at one of the many outside cafes ( providing it is not too hot ) for an appetizer & a glass of wine ... stop at Columbia restaurant for there 1925 salad and another glass of wine ... after another lunch with wine of course I would drive to Casperon Beach ( a totally natural beach ) and since you pass Sharky's on the way back another libation .
(Bolding mine, not Moemg's.)

I would recommend if Huston55 follow this advice he should be the passenger and not the driver.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #1033
Full time employment: Posting here.

The leading and high-lighted headline in ABCNews website right now is :
New terror threat: surgically implanted bombs.

Now how would it change the TSA inspection process?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
The leading and high-lighted headline in ABCNews website right now is :
New terror threat: surgically implanted bombs.

Now how would it change the TSA inspection process?
Reminds me of a scene in the movie "Total Recall", where Arnold goes thru the total body x-ray.

Maybe terrorism will drive us to 'virtual' vacations.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #1035
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyparty View Post
CANADIAN ROCKIES...

We are flying into Vancouver, B C next week...1 night at Westin Bayshore Inn (anyone have restaurant recommendations?)..then joining a tour that has us on VIA train overnight, than next afternoon arrive in Jasper ...to start trip that includes 2 nights there, at Lake Louise and Banff...most nights in Fairmont hotels...with little adventures, like whitewater rafting, scattered throughout the trip, but also lots of time on our own to explore, ending in Calgary. This will be our second 'tour'...first was a train type vacation mostly in Switzerland, a bit of Italy, earlier this year...mainly because the cost was actually less than what we could have arranged on our own, renting a car...and all the details of train tickets, hotels, etc taken care of. Also stayed in lovely hotels and some meals included...lots of wine too...nice in such an expensive country. One of the biggest advantages...DH can enjoy the scenery! But next year we are going to do another driving vacation in France again...before we are too old! So much to see there. Almost forgot...in November...off to Rome for a few days before starting a cruise that will have most port stops in Spain....working on our bucket list!
That sounds great! It also sounds pretty expensive - do you mind sharing about what such a tour costs?

The scenery there is just spectacular, so you will enjoy that very much.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #1036
Recycles dryer sheets

My DD has a big break between college terms coming up, and it's likely to be the last one while she's living at home. At least that's my excuse for taking her to Italy for her first trip! And then my niece just graduated from university with a degree in Art History so I invited her along.

We leave in 2 weeks. I've rented apartments in Rome, Florence, and Monterosso al Mare in the Cinque Terre, and plan a quick zip over to Padua for a few days. Fly into Rome, 3 weeks later fly out of Milan. I'm brushing up on my Italian and am very excited! I've been several times, but it will be so fun to see it through the eyes of these 2 young people!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #1037
Give me a forum ...

We did the same trip but added Lake Como for a 4th week. Enjoy!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #1038
Give me a forum ...

Going to Copenhagen in 6 hours for the long weekend [Mod edit] to visit old friends. We will stay in the hotel in Lyngby I stayed in 30 years ago. Probably won't do much touristy things. Buy the boy another Hard Rock Cafe shirt. Ride the trains. Walking tours of Copenhagen (gastronomic and hopefully a pub crawl). Maybe another canal cruise--my boat fix this summer. Eat and drink. Watch the sun come up. Esta bien.

Cheers from Baku.

el Gitano
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #1039
Give me a forum ...

Going to Greeneville SC area on the 16th. A week with my uncle and aunt. Exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway, also a side trip to Maggie Valley in NC. Looking forward to it..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #1040
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I are doing a European wine cruise in October. Stops include Bordeaux region of France, Rioja region of Spain, and Porto Portugal among others.
Closed Thread