Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #1041
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got back from a 10 day cycling tour. My first long distance one. Biked from Toronto to NYC.

Waterfront Trail from Toronto to Niagara Falls, Erie Canal Trail from N. Falls to Albany and the Hudson River (SBR9) from Albany to NYC. Some very pretty small towns along the way and the Erie Canal can be quite picturesque. Ended up doing 1001 kms in total over 9 days, including my "victory lap" around Central Park.

Would recommend the Waterfront Trail for cycling, highly recommend the Erie Canal Trail for cycling and would not at all recommend SBR9 for cycling (anywhere between Rensselaer and Nyack).

It was quite something to ride my own bike across the GW Bridge and around Central Park. Overall, I was quite impressed with how cycle friendly NYC was. Stayed the last night in Jersey City, just a water taxi ride away from Manhattan. It was my first Airbnb stay and I thought it was good. Also, used Warmshowers.org (the cycling site) and had a good experience too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike Trip 105.jpg (645.1 KB, 5 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #1042
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Going to Greeneville SC area on the 16th. A week with my uncle and aunt. Exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway, also a side trip to Maggie Valley in NC. Looking forward to it..........
We just got back from Greenville last week end (Thurs and Fri). Stayed downtown at the Courtyard Marriott so we could walk to everything. They close a section of Main St. and have music. It was great. The also have a great bike path. We love it there.
We are doing the Blue Ridge Parkway in Oct. from Boone to the northern end
Always a great trip.

Enjoy

Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #1043
Recycles dryer sheets

We are going on a Alaska Cruise 4 weeks from this Fri. on Celebrity Solstice out of Seattle.
Got 2 free RT tickets by getting a Airtran Visa and spending $1,000 in the 1st
3 months then transferred the vouchers to Southwest.
This will be our 13th Cruise and 1st to Alaska .
Looking forward to it.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #1044
Recycles dryer sheets

We made it to San Diego in April (we're Midwesterners), heading to Napa Valley in a few weeks for a family wedding, then southern Arizona in Feb. (free place to stay) and St George, Utah next September because it's been on our bucket list for years. Will visit Zion, Bryce and north rim of Grand Canyon. And just starting the planning phase of visiting Glacier. Hubby's been there, I have not.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #1045
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I are going to Nepal and Bhutan in October... This will be our third trip to Asia (but first time to those countries). Spending 3 days in Bangkok on the way home.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #1046
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
DH and I are going to Nepal and Bhutan in October... This will be our third trip to Asia (but first time to those countries). Spending 3 days in Bangkok on the way home.
"One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble"........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #1047
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
We just got back from Greenville last week end (Thurs and Fri). Stayed downtown at the Courtyard Marriott so we could walk to everything. They close a section of Main St. and have music. It was great. The also have a great bike path. We love it there.
We are doing the Blue Ridge Parkway in Oct. from Boone to the northern end
Always a great trip.

Enjoy
We will be there this weekend, dropping my DS off at Clemson and then doing some relaxing. What nights do they close Main St?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #1048
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
We will be there this weekend, dropping my DS off at Clemson and then doing some relaxing. What nights do they close Main St?
We were they on a Thurs. and Fri. and both nights they had a section of
Main St. closed and they had live music.
Not sure about Sat.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #1049
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Heading to Toronto for the week for my annual grandkids fix tomorrow.

Used Hotwire to book a rental car and got a Hertz. Flights were all one stopover for the same price as the airline direct flights.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #1050

Next week, we are heading up north to Portland, stopping to meet a 'beagle in law' along the way. After a few days in the Portland area, visiting several friends, we're taking 84 along the Columbia and cutting up northeast to Spokane and Coeur d'Alene, where I'll be reunited with 2 friends I haven't seen for a very long time.

For all the years we spent beating I-5 up to Portland, we've never been east, so we look forward to the drive along the Columbia River and to see new sights.

The beagles are going with us, so they'll get lots of new walks along the way. They love a good road trip.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #1051
Recycles dryer sheets

Hopping over to Seattle for the weekend. Renting a condo in Belltown from VRBO. Attending a big, fancy wedding at the Edgewater Hotel. New dress and high heeled shoes!! Can you tell I don't get out much?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #1052
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Heading out next week on our annual late summer tired-of-the-heat RV trip to the mountains of NM and CO. We plan to hang out there until the first "cold" front blows through here in late September, dropping the daytime highs into the low 90's.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #1053
Dryer sheet aficionado

Heading to Baltimore cruise port for a 7 day trip to Bermuda. Going to snorkel, fish and hit a resort for a day trip.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #1054
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are flying to NYC and have rented an apartment for 10 days in the West Village. After that we'll take Amtrak to Richmond, VA then we'll rent a car and drive to Williamsburg, VA for a family wedding. After that we'll explore the area for a couple of days then return to Portland, OR. This will all be around Thanksgiving.

This will be my first big vacation since retiring in May.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #1055

DW and I spent the weekend in Rochester, NY Drove down and I was impressed with the east side of Rochester and suburbs. Lot cleaner and in better shape than I remember. Went to Dinosaur BBQ for dinner on Saturday night and stayed in the Pittsford area. Drove home along the south side of Lake Ontario.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #1056

DW and I just booked a dive trip to Fiji for late May, 2014. We will spend one week at a beach resort that caters to divers and the second week aboard the Naia liveaboard dive boat. Four to fives dives per day with meals throughout. Lots of time to daydream about this one.

Garden Island Resort - Taveuni Fiji islands - World Class Diving and Vacation Resort in South Pacific

Liveaboard Scuba Diving on NAI'A - Fiji and Beyond
Old 08-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
DW and I just booked a dive trip to Fiji for late May, 2014. We will spend one week at a beach resort that caters to divers and the second week aboard the Naia liveaboard dive boat. Four to fives dives per day with meals throughout. Lots of time to daydream about this one.

Garden Island Resort - Taveuni Fiji islands - World Class Diving and Vacation Resort in South Pacific

Sounds wonderful, (but don't drink the Kava, it tastes like mud).....I passed through Fiji, (Suva and Nadi) in 1963 and again, (equally briefly), in 1966, but never had a chance to do the Gardner McKay schtick.....enjoy!!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #1058

Going to Central America next week. Will have no access to the Internet for at least a couple of days. Stocking up on mosquito repellent.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post

This sounds wonderful! I hope you will do a trip report with lots of photos when you return.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #1060
Give me a forum ...

Last week I didn't have any travel planned, but this week I took a road trip to Alberta. Now on the home stretch. Why? Because I want to, and because I can, that's why.