Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #1081
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to the Mayan Riviera (the Grand Bliss) for one week in December to top up my vitamin D levels. I have not visited this part of Mexico, so suggestions are welcome. Tulum? Chichen Itza? Xcaret?

This is an exchange through the Registry Collection. I still have 400 points to play with and they are adding new places all the time. The Pronghorn resort in Bend, OR and the Stablewood resort near San Antonio, TX both look good......

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #1082
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost time for our (DW and I) annual trip to Baja Mexico. I plan of spending many hours beachside and poolside reviewing plans and scenarios for my pending ER in 2014. I have been going to the Baja since the late 80's, and sometimes it surprises me how much this Canadian guy has grown to love Mexico and its people.

Eventually, I plan to spend 4 or 5 months of my ER down there... cost of living is easily half of that of Canada. Just one more reason ER will be possible at my tender young age.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #1083
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm going to the Mayan Riviera (the Grand Bliss) for one week in December to top up my vitamin D levels. I have not visited this part of Mexico, so suggestions are welcome. Tulum? Chichen Itza? Xcaret?

This is an exchange through the Registry Collection. I still have 400 points to play with and they are adding new places all the time. The Pronghorn resort in Bend, OR and the Stablewood resort near San Antonio, TX both look good......
Tulum is close by and well worth a visit. Absolutely beautiful setting perched high on the bluffs overlooking the Caribbean.

Chichen Itza is certainly worth the visit but is approx 5 hour drive round trip. Lots of good tour operators who run buses over there and back for a reasonable price. Good time of year to visit temp wise too as it can be terribly hot there during the summer months.

Have not been to Xcaret yet but have heard good things about it and Xel Ha.

Have a great trip!
UK in October, just back from Florida / Georgia / Carolinas / Bahamas
Old 09-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #1084
Recycles dryer sheets

UK in October, just back from Florida / Georgia / Carolinas / Bahamas

I've been to England before but never Ireland. Thinking about 2 weeks between the two of them. Any suggestions on whether or not I should overnight in Bath?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
. Any suggestions on whether or not I should overnight in Bath?
Don't you think a bed would be more comfortable?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #1086
Recycles dryer sheets

Too funny! Yknow that's a town in England
Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #1087
Give me a forum ...

It has been done, you know.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #1088
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It has been done, you know.
Often involving tequila...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #1089

Flying off in a few days time to Bordeaux for >a week of wine and dine. Having read 2 books on wine and Bordeaux, I am so looking forward to this trip. Took me quite some planning. Been coughing the past 3 weeks and throat is kind of sensitive. Just hope I won't start coughing again and can enjoy my wine and food.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #1090
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoy but try some lemon & honey to sooth that throat

Went online to British airlines and found a great deal ..... 1452 for flight from SF + 5 nights at a 5★ + full breakfast. Actually cheaper to do 2 trips (England now -- Ireland in a month --maybe Paris after that) FIREd has definite benefits. No vacation request needed
Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #1091
Dryer sheet aficionado

You're mostly all pretty lucky living where you do, geographically, as down here in NZ we're quite isolated. Our next trip (end of next week) is Adelaide, Australia for ten days and then we have another ten days booked in February to Tasmania.

The Pacific Islands and Aussie are our "shorthaul" destinations.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #1092
Recycles dryer sheets

NZ is supposed to be so beautiful! Probably don't need to go anywhere
Old 09-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #1093

Annienz, NZ is beautiful. I really enjoyed all my holidays there. I also spent >a week in Tasmania and really enjoyed myself there. The scenery is so beautiful and oysters are fantastic. I look back at pictures taken in Tasmania and south NZ - those are really scenic. Enjoy yourself!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #1094
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I *had* travel planned to fly home yesterdsy, but the Midwest weather had other ideas so I found myself in a hotel for an unplanned extra day. Try it again today.

I am right now sitting in a hotel restaurant swilling coffee, watching CNN and messaging with a friend back home. I told her my goal is to get as nervous, jumpy, and angry as possible before I get on a plane.

Kidding aside, stuff like this rolls off much more easily when you're not working

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #1095
Dryer sheet wannabe

Two and a half weeks in Madeira Is. and Lisbon, Portugal planned for late October. So excited.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #1096
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Got back from BC wine country. Sampled many good vintages. Bought 6 bottles.

Came back to friends from Toronto visiting. Went to Whistler for a day trip yesterday. Then had a BBQ on the patio last night. All good.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #1097
Recycles dryer sheets

Early August we took a 'tour' in Canadian Rockies...starting with an o/n stay on VIA trains in a sleeper cabin?...had bunk beds that were assembled by the porter at night. Just one night and about 2 half days..arriving in Jasper. Visited Banff, Lake Louise...staying in Beautiful Fairmont Hotels. We thought very pricey it was fun and accommodations great. Next, in Nov. we are off to Europe...first Rome for a few days where we have booked a Segway Tour just for fun (they have assured us its easy..with training!)...then a cruise mostly seeing Spain. We love to cruise....despite what some say, we do see alot and in a very comfortable way! Next yr. we may do one more driving vacation to see parts of the wine areas inFrance...we'll see!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #1098
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I will be in Halifax, NS this weekend (Thu-Sun). I have a meeting Friday but otherwise there for pleasure. Any local suggestions for food/drink/music?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #1099

Just got back from doing the Landmannalaugar-Skógar Trek in iceland and a few days in Reykjavik. One of the best trips i've ever had. I have a bunch of public albums on my facebook home for the curious. Here's one of them...

https://www.facebook.com/mike.hoegem...2529937&type=3

Old 09-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #1100
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Flying off in a few days time to Bordeaux for >a week of wine and dine. Having read 2 books on wine and Bordeaux, I am so looking forward to this trip. Took me quite some planning. Been coughing the past 3 weeks and throat is kind of sensitive. Just hope I won't start coughing again and can enjoy my wine and food.
I think a trip like yours and maybe a similar one to Italy could easily make it to my bucket list. Let me know how it goes. I would be interested in details also.

Bon voyage and Bon appetite!