Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #1141
Recycles dryer sheets

Two weeks of November in San Diego for DW and I, visiting our CG daughter. Open to suggestions.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #1142
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Managed to get a trip down to New Zealand in early December on Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific's milage programme) which was really surprising as they usually just say that no seats are available. I knew I did all that business travelling for a reason.
Good for you! Now you can splash more on your holiday! Hope you get an upgrade too! Last year I managed to get Asia Miles redemption seats to London/Barcelona and got upgraded to first class from HK to London but this year can't get any redemption tickets to Paris.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Yup, gotta have em if you want to travel internationally. I remember when I was still in the military, we got our shots in groups; could barely lift a beer for a week. But, hey, the bright side is that the Yellow Fever vaccine is fatal on only ~1 in 500,000 instances.
I am one of the rare folks who actually reacted to the vaccine for yellow fever (or maybe it was the typhoid) and was majorly sick for 2 days with chills, aches, and super high fever. It sucked, but I am glad to have them done!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #1144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
Two weeks of November in San Diego for DW and I, visiting our CG daughter. Open to suggestions.
Have brunch at the Hotel Coronado then walk the beach
Visit the Safari Park
Visit the zoo
Take in a Chargers game
Head to La Jolla for lunch or dinner
Take in the street market at Escondido
Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #1145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I am one of the rare folks who actually reacted to the vaccine for yellow fever (or maybe it was the typhoid) and was majorly sick for 2 days with chills, aches, and super high fever. It sucked, but I am glad to have them done!
Oh, that's a big bummer!

Thankfully I came away with only sore arms. I did a 100 mile biking event two days after getting my shots, and would have been seriously devastated had I gotten sick from them. I'd been training for this ride for months!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #1146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
Tip #1 - The USS Midway is awesome!!! You could spend the entire day there exploring and listening to the stories of the amazing veterans that work as docents.

Afterward, stroll over to nearby Anthony's Fish Grotto for gorgeous harbor views while enjoying really good fish and chips.

Tip #2 - Purchase half price harbor cruise tickets on Goldstar.com. Amazing tour of the bay, including wildlife, plus viewings of much of the US Navy operations. Loved it, even as a lifelong SoCal resident!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #1147
Dryer sheet wannabe

Paris for Christmas. We have never been there and are so looking forward to it!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #1148
Recycles dryer sheets

Dallas, then Utila?

Dallas to see DD, then back down here.

Anyone been to Utila, Honduras? We got invited to spend a couple weeks there. Don't know much details, but if anyone has thoughts, it would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #1149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniee36 View Post
Paris for Christmas. We have never been there and are so looking forward to it!
DW and I were there in early December in 2011. It is definitely not as crowded as in the warmer months. Plan on it raining every other day. The Christmas markets are fun to walk around in but don't expect much in the way of bargain shopping.

If you will actually be there on Christmas day I've heard most of the restaurants will be closed. That's a good time to visit the Jewish section for meals.

If you'll be there a full week, the 6 day Paris Museum Pass is a good deal if you plan on hitting the museums hard. Shorter passes can be a good buy but you need to plan and do the math. We like the Cluny for the tapestries.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #1150
Dryer sheet wannabe

Headed to Paris, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon in early May of next year.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #1151
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelan View Post
Headed to Paris, Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon in early May of next year.
Let me know how this works. I'm planning on a Paris to Lyon-Barcelona (River Cruise) then to Mallorca trip in August-September of next year. I've locked down almost all lodging and trying to maximize airfare using FF miles. Toying with the idea of further complicating the trip with going to Munich then Paris before our main event.

Retired in June and did a number of domestic trips to Chicago, Palm Springs/Palm Desert and New York City since then. Our plans are to travel stateside every other year and abroad the alternate year.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #1152
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Let me know how this works. I'm planning on a Paris to Lyon-Barcelona (River Cruise) then to Mallorca trip in August-September of next year. I've locked down almost all lodging and trying to maximize airfare using FF miles. Toying with the idea of further complicating the trip with going to Munich then Paris before our main event.

Retired in June and did a number of domestic trips to Chicago, Palm Springs/Palm Desert and New York City since then. Our plans are to travel stateside every other year and abroad the alternate year.
Will do. We aren't retired yet, but we love to travel to Europe. This year we did a whirlwind, Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and it was great.

We are planning on flying into London and catching the Eurostar simply because it is easier with FF miles. Night train from Paris to Barcelona and then renting a car in Barcelona so we can explore the countryside of Spain on our way to Madrid and Lisbon.

I haven't gotten lodging squared away yet but we are staying on points there as well, Marriott or Starwood.

Planning is a big part of the fun for me.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #1153
Recycles dryer sheets

Long weekend in Singapore (visiting my son who commutes once a month from U.S.) then on for a week in Bangkok (where my wife will be working), then back to Manila for Thanksgiving.....
Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #1154
Recycles dryer sheets

We are traveling to the Turks & Caicos next week for a 2 week scuba/R&R vacation. It is our first trip there, but we were surprised how reasonable the flights are (compared with diving/travel in the South Pacific) and we booked waterfront lodging at great off season prices....! We spend 1 week on Provo (main island) and 1 week on Salt Cay at a B & B on the beach...can't wait to leave the dreary Seattle weather for the carribean.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #1155
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Planning a days trip to Guadalajara to buy a new car. The choices in PV are pathetic.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #1156

Arizona in early December for a few days, followed by a Caribbean cruise from Fort Lauderdale over Christmas. SA cruise and land trip in Feb/March timeframe.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #1157
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
About a week after getting all our travel shots, I got a wicked headache that lasted about eight days. I haven't had a headache since I quit work, so I'm thinking it must have been a side affect to one or more of the vaccinations we received. It's gone now, and I sincerely hope for good!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #1158
Recycles dryer sheets

We have Key West, FL and Ecuador all planned out and ready for next month, and I'm now working on a four week RV trip to New Mexico in the spring, followed by a ten week RV trip to/through the N. Plain states for summer. All will cover brand new territory and I'm equally excited to do all three.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #1159
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
We have Key West, FL and Ecuador all planned out and ready for next month, and I'm now working on a four week RV trip to New Mexico in the spring, followed by a ten week RV trip to/through the N. Plain states for summer. All will cover brand new territory and I'm equally excited to do all three.
You are living my dream. After 30 plus years of serving over seas I am ready to explore my own country.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
That will be in an RV that's already in the driveway, I suspect. I was curious, how much detail do your plans have? I mean, could it be five and nine weeks? Or do you book everythkng in advance? I don't know anything about longer term RVing...only did a rental and the megacorp had the stopwatch running while I was gone, so felt compelled to pre-book each one-day stop.