Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from Tuscany. This was our 2nd time visiting the region. 10 years ago we focused on the tourists sights like churches and museums. This time we explored the wine regions, enoteca, food and spent 4 days in a golf resort with a championship golf course. Absolutely fabulous trip!

Just got back from Guanajuato MX. What a fabulous place and a real change of pace for Mexico.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ampling of our pictures]Here are the pictures
and here is a blog posting
Guanajuato: The Most Beautiful City in Mexico?
WOW! Just looked at the photos and added it to my must visit places. While we live in San Diego, we don't drive down to Mexico much due to the long long long wait times to get back across the boarder into the US. My last trips to Mexico City, and some cities on the coast Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, etc. was some 20+ years ago. We decided that next time we go to Mexico it will be by air and just checked out the flights here, this place looks great. Years ago I remember never thinking about safety in Mexico. When I first when to La Paz (1970s) I was there the first year that the police even started carrying a gun (after the opening of the highway from the north). There was simply no crime to speak of. Curious what your thoughts are on safety now.

We're going in the opposite direction- taking an Alaskan cruise in July on a small-ship, up-close and personal with nature line called UnCruise. We did this 2 years ago; very laid-back and relaxing. I've never been on one of the giant cruise ships and don't think I ever want to be.

Finally time to start packing for a trip we booked last August. DW and I leave for Fiji on Wednesday. We meet twelve friends in LAX and all fly over together. Will spend 3 nights on the island of Nadi, a week at Garden Island Resort on Taveuni and a week on a liveaboard dive boat, the Naia, exploring and diving the local waters. Our first trip to the Pacific and really looking forward to it.

There was simply no crime to speak of. Curious what your thoughts are on safety now.
Guanajuato is a university town and there were no evidence of police. The only time we see gun-toting cops is when some dignitary is visiting town. The regular patrols are not intimidating.

(The drive from PV was 8 hours each way and we encountered no federales. I think the fear you see in the press is a marketing campaign to keep the tourist dollars at home. We spend 7 months here each year without incident.)

Just arrived in Hanoi this afternoon. We'll be here for a week. Hot, hot, hot!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We went to NYC with my sister and her DH. Did the usual touristy things and we saw Wicked and they saw Bullets Over Broadway. We drove to VA and took the Amtrak to NYC. Relaxing way to travel.

Dreamer

We want to take Amtrak to NY for a month long cruise (from NOVA) but I was discouraged when I saw no checked luggage allowed and limit to two smaller carryons. What was your experience as far as luggage and what train did you take? Did you leave from Alexandria?

Thanks

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

We left from Fredericksburg VA. I believe the train number was 84, but would not swear to it. Our suitcases are the size that would fit in overhead luggage on an airplane. Both of us had a suitcase and I had a canvas bag with a small book and some magazines and snacks. My DH had a backpack that had his camera, snacks and miscellaneous things in it. I asked my sister about the luggage and she told me that no one had ever checked. I saw signs at the station talking about how much you could have and the size, but no one ever checked ours either. I am like you and would be nervous trying to take more. Good luck and have fun on your month long cruise. Pam

Well, we got back last week after our first European trip. We went to Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris. It was heavenly!!! Had such a wonderful time. Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice when I was trying to decide where we should go. I am so looking forward to our next adventure, wherever that may be. :)

Of course, you enjoyed it and got hooked. ;)

But, but, but no photos?

Of course, you enjoyed it and got hooked. ;)

But, but, but no photos?

So MANY photos, I'm not sure how to choose! Here's a couple's selfie at the Eiffel Tower, a classic Amsterdam canal with bicycles and tulips pic, and a yummy waffle dessert in Brussels. Aaaaaah. Vacation. I never wanted it to end!

Attachments

• DSC01587.jpg
    DSC01587.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01279.jpg
    DSC01279.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01355.jpg
    DSC01355.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 15
All right!

I think the forum should have a rule that no vacation boasting post shall be allowed without some photos.

Just returned from a month in Europe (6 countries), including a river cruise on the Danube and Danube Main Canal, as well as some time in Ireland. I won't be posting pictures, but it was a fabulous trip filled with music. Favourite places I hadn't seen before included Budapest, Prague and Upper Austria. I am deferring any new travel plans till my bank account recovers from this one!

Just returned from a month in Europe (6 countries), including a river cruise on the Danube and Danube Main Canal, as well as some time in Ireland. I won't be posting pictures, but it was a fabulous trip filled with music. Favourite places I hadn't seen before included Budapest, Prague and Upper Austria.

OK. I guess we will just have to use our imagination.

Come to think of it, you mentioned music, and that would even require a video so the sound could be included.

oh well, since you insist

Edited to add: I think the error was due to the fact that it was recorded on an iPhone and has been transferred to my photo library on my Mac. Not sure how to upload it. Sorry. You will just have to use your imagination after all!

Last edited:
Just returned from a month in Europe (6 countries), including a river cruise on the Danube and Danube Main Canal, as well as some time in Ireland. I won't be posting pictures, but it was a fabulous trip filled with music. Favourite places I hadn't seen before included Budapest, Prague and Upper Austria. I am deferring any new travel plans till my bank account recovers from this one!

That sounds like such a wonderful trip! So many people have raved to me about Budapest and Prague...they are definitely on my travel "wish list" now. And I hear ya on the bank account...I'm relucant to add up all of our expenses from this trip. Europe is expensive! (at least the places we went - especially Paris) We are not used to spending like that. It was all worth it, though.

We are not used to spending like that.

Figure out where most of your money is going (evaporating) and modify your behavior so that you (mainly) enjoy what you went there to see/do, and cut back on things that are not 'necessary' to attain the desired result.

> So many people have raved to me about Budapest and Prague

Arriving in Budapest in the evening on a river cruise boat is very very nice.

We did this a couple of weeks back (Amsterdam to Budapest cruise - great trip!) and cruising into Budapest at night was one of the high points of the trip.

They light up the city on both sides of the Danube. It's rather breathtaking. Here's one photo I took of their parliament building:

BudapestAtNight2014.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom