Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #1161
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
That will be in an RV that's already in the driveway, I suspect. I was curious, how much detail do your plans have? I mean, could it be five and nine weeks? Or do you book everythkng in advance? I don't know anything about longer term RVing...only did a rental and the megacorp had the stopwatch running while I was gone, so felt compelled to pre-book each one-day stop.
Yes, it will, though it's actually in our garage, not our driveway.

We started off in a pop up folding trailer about six years before we FIRE'd, then upgraded to a hard sided folding trailer (See Easy Towing Lightweight Travel Trailers|Trailmanor Travel Trailers for specs on our specific trailer choice) at the point we achieved FIRE. We've owned it for 18 months, and have already spent 150 nights in it. Our goal was 100 days a year of RV'ing, so we're right on track.

Currently I do pre-book everything, doing a ton of online research beforehand to determine how long we'll be staying at each location. We have a bad habit of trying to see a whole lot each time we go out, probably a bit more than makes sense, but we do have a heck of a good time as a result. Plus, I really enjoy doing the research.

There are lots of reasons to approach RV'ing with a more relaxed approach, but I prefer to know what we're doing when, though we always have the option to change our plans if we wish. I do think you'll probably spend the same amount of time making plans either way, it's just a matter of whether you do it in advance, or on the fly.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #1162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are rather the opposite - took off on a whim last Friday and went 'south'. Did two months in Alaska in the same manner. Michigan last month. This week we ended up around Taladega National Forest. Stop when we feel like stopping. Stay until we feel like leaving. I used to get stressed out trying to keep to pre-reserved locations, or even just pre-planned routes. Now I don't stress and I enjoy the drive, not just the destination. I think we've also wandered into some great places we would never have 'planned' to visit. We have travelled all our 36 years of marriage - still too much to see.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #1163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My RV trips are planned very loosely. I do map out a rough itinerary, but once en route often make detours, or vary the planned stay duration at each spot depending on how the place fits my original expectations.

Yep, being able to be spontaneous in traveling is a luxury one has in retirement, though in the past we have had to come back to town on certain dates due to previous engagements for parental care.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #1164
Dryer sheet aficionado

Haven't retired yet but have a lot of travel coming up. India next week, then Ireland in March and Poland/Sweden in July. Trying to visit NZ and Australia in October potentially.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #1165
Moderator Emeritus

Just got back from west Texas (Odessa & Midland, Snyder, Brownfield, Andrews, Post, and some other small towns.)
Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #1166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Just got back from west Texas (Odessa & Midland, Snyder, Brownfield, Andrews, Post, and some other small towns.)
Ah, nothing like a tour of the oil boom towns of the Permian Basin...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Wow...you were that close to Langtry and you passed it up?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #1168
Recycles dryer sheets

Gathering items now for our departure for Italy , Greece and Turkey next week.

When we return I'll go with DH for a few days to Florida while he does some consulting .

For the holidays DD and apparently serious boy (Man? ) friend fly in here then we will all fly out to make the rounds so the grandparents on both sides can meet brave boyfriend. (They have been here to visit before).

Probably another FL trip in Jan, same ( w*&k) reason. Lovely area and weather not bad in Jan.

Feb- Mar. Big trip (DH big bucket item) now that he is part time and no longer at his on call 24/7 megacorp job- A month in Australia .

Kinda hope we stay home in April . However something will probably come up.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #1169
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Wow...you were that close to Langtry and you passed it up?
I just didn't have time to stop there...
Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #1170

Less than a month after returning from a week in Barcelona, followed by a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise.......we're off again......leaving for Rome, (via Aeroflot, with a four hour layover in Moscow......perhaps we'll get to bomb Chechnya on the way? ), for a couple days before catching another discounted repositioning cruise with another line...heading back to Ft. Lauderdale.

(Since we don't use the spas, visit the 'cost extra' fancy restaurants, run up bar bills, buy 'stuff' in the stores, take the expensive shore excursions, have our pics taken by their photographers, etc, etc, they don't make a whole lot of money off us.)

Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #1171
Full time employment: Posting here.

Going to Singapore next week for a sibling's wedding anniversary. Expect lots of big meals and catch up.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Less than a month after returning from a week in Barcelona, followed by a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise.......we're off again......leaving for Rome, (via Aeroflot, with a four hour layover in Moscow......perhaps we'll get to bomb Chechnya on the way? ), for a couple days before catching another discounted repositioning cruise with another line...heading back to Ft. Lauderdale.

(Since we don't use the spas, visit the 'cost extra' fancy restaurants, run up bar bills, buy 'stuff' in the stores, take the expensive shore excursions, have our pics taken by their photographers, etc, etc, they don't make a whole lot of money off us.)
Nemo-

I'd like to hear how you like the repositioning cruises. Service, all the 'at sea' time, entertainment, cost?

Also, if you've not visited Moscow, strongly suggest you stay a couple days to visit, then head on to Rome. It's pretty easy, and a world class city that deserves a visit.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Nemo-

I'd like to hear how you like the repositioning cruises. Service, all the 'at sea' time, entertainment, cost?

Also, if you've not visited Moscow, strongly suggest you stay a couple days to visit, then head on to Rome. It's pretty easy, and a world class city that deserves a visit.
Unfortunately it's too late to extend our flight with a Moscow stopover since the ship departs Civitavecchia a week from today..........perhaps next time....(we have a friend who visits Russia frequently and really enjoys it).

As to the repositioning cruises, last month's was the first I've done, although back in the 1960s I travelled on a number of ocean liners to & from Australia and Europe, (much smaller ships, around 24K tons as opposed to the behemoths afloat these days)..........we took the first cruise both due to the cost reductions, (a relatively cheap way of getting back from Europe), and because my wife had never been aboard a ship and this offered ports of call and a transatlantic crossing.

We found Holland America to be first rate, (discounting the fact that lines such as Silversea, Paul Gaugin and Seabourn, etc, are probably first rate X quadruple plus), and will undoubtedly be evaluating Celebrity using H.A. as a benchmark.

Cost: One has to consider that the base advertised price does not include such things as port/government taxes, (the possibility of fuel surcharges), and 'mandatory gratuity' (a bit of an oxymoron) charges...........however, when you factor in meals/accommodation/ ports of call/time at sea, etc, it beats flying by the proverbial country mile.

Entertainment: Apparently there was lots of it, (or so my wife tells me), but we weren't interested.....(although we attended a couple 'lectures', my wife took in a couple digital photography workshops, and we went to a movie)...........we spent a fair bit of time up in the library, either reading or looking out at the view; took out a couple of the many DVDs available, and walked the promenade deck..........(plus I managed to do stairs, (found the gym too damn hot), at around 4-5 a.m. when there was no-one around).

At sea time: Love it! (Although I was hoping for a little 'inclement' weather just to see how a ship that size (and the passengers) coped with it.

Added: I guess it all depends upon one's priorities.......it was apparent that some/many (but not all) of the passengers enjoyed 'getting dressed up' (we don't, although not knowing what to expect we brought too many clothes.......none of which came close to the suit & tie/long dresses crowd), 'dining' (the only time we didn't eat at the buffet was to celebrate my wife's 61st birthday), and being entertained...........we were there simply for the trip.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #1174

Tucson for four days then a 14 day Caribbean cruise over Chistmas.

Two weeks in Chile, South American cruise, two weeks in Argentina and Uruguay.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #1175
Recycles dryer sheets

God bless the Baja... I don't want to leave and go back to Raincouver...
Old 11-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #1176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
God bless the Baja... I don't want to leave and go back to Raincouver...
This is the perfect time of the year to be on the Gulf of California. Loreto to La Paz in a kayak.

dj Mexico (2).jpg
Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
This is the perfect time of the year to be on the Gulf of California. Loreto to La Paz in a kayak.

Attachment 17514
+1 That's a fair hike........(the winter of 1997/8 we camped on the beach just south of Mulegé.)

Old 11-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #1178
Give me a forum ...

We just returned from a Road Scholar tour of India. Fascinating!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #1179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
We just returned from a Road Scholar tour of India. Fascinating!!!
Brat, we're glad you're back safely and had a good trip. We are expecting a full report, preferably with pictures!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1180
Dryer sheet wannabe

We are in Mexico now until January, then (probably) to Cuba for a few weeks, then to Taiwan. We will be there for a few months, during which I want to circumnavigate the island on a bicycle and summit Jade Mountain