Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #1241
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got back from a very nice 3 day get away to Chicago. Flight to Midway, "L" into the city, stay at the Palmer House. shopping and eating on State Street and Michigan Avenue, Art Institute. All easily walkable/public transportation. It was a nostalgic trip for me as I grew up in a Chicago suburb and worked several years downtown--Marshall Fields and Wiebolts. Both long gone, but State is still a great street!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Just got back from a very nice 3 day get away to Chicago. Flight to Midway, "L" into the city, stay at the Palmer House. shopping and eating on State Street and Michigan Avenue, Art Institute. All easily walkable/public transportation. It was a nostalgic trip for me as I grew up in a Chicago suburb and worked several years downtown--Marshall Fields and Wiebolts. Both long gone, but State is still a great street!
Good to see that visitors enjoy Chicago in the winter. I still remember the train set on display at Marshall Fields at Christmas time.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #1243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Getting ready for a ski trip next week to Colorado. First time on skis in over ten years, so a little nervous, but I used to be a pretty good skier so not such a big deal. We'll be renting equipment this time -- I got rid of my obsolete skis and boots.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #1244
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Getting ready for a ski trip next week to Colorado. First time on skis in over ten years, so a little nervous, but I used to be a pretty good skier so not such a big deal. We'll be renting equipment this time -- I got rid of my obsolete skis and boots.
If you haven't been downhill skiing for 10 years, you'll be amazed at the capabilities of parabolic skis. I used to fall - regularly - and never do on parabolics. We're planning on going over March break down in MT at Bridger Bowl. But wear a helmet - my niece who is an expert skier / instructor suffered some brain damage in a wipe out while skiing a couple of years ago. I didn't realize how prevalent that was until I researched it after her accident.
Have loads of fun!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 AM   #1245
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just booked a New England and Canada cruise for late August early September. This will be my wife's last vacation from work before she joins me in retirement in December. Then we have to decide whether to go to Europe or Australia for our long awaited retirement celebration!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #1246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
If you haven't been downhill skiing for 10 years, you'll be amazed at the capabilities of parabolic skis.
Thanks for the heads-up. I've heard about parabolic skis, and now I'm really anxious to try them out. It's especially encouraging for DW, who is just somewhere between beginner and intermediate level.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #1247

Riverboat cruise in Holland. DW Birthday big 60 in April.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #1248
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm planning to ride my motorcycle to Alaska in June. 8500 miles in three weeks. Practicing this weekend with a 1400 mile, three-day jaunt through the Trans-Pecos region of Texas (Big Bend, Presidio,Alpine,etc). This also involves tent-camping!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #1249

Just finished (not planned, I don't generally let people know when I'll be away from the house) a big west coast road trip.

Drove over 6000 miles from Ohio, to Oregon for a wedding. Then down to the bay area to visit family. Then enjoyed driving the coast highway from Monterey down through Big Sur. We finished it off with a fun helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon.

DS has a long college winter break, so the three of us enjoyed getting to know the new car.

Amazingly, we hit no bad weather. Maybe a little wind blown snow in Wyoming, but that was it.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #1250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Just finished (not planned, I don't generally let people know when I'll be away from the house) a big west coast road trip.

Drove over 6000 miles from Ohio, to Oregon for a wedding. Then down to the bay area to visit family. Then enjoyed driving the coast highway from Monterey down through Big Sur. We finished it off with a fun helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon.

DS has a long college winter break, so the three of us enjoyed getting to know the new car.

Amazingly, we hit no bad weather. Maybe a little wind blown snow in Wyoming, but that was it.
Sounds like a great road trip.

I explored Washington and Oregon last summer and am planning another road trip to eastern Oregon in the spring.

To be followed by a trip to Europe.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #1251
Give me a forum ...

Our original plan was to drive to FL to get away from the worst of winter and rent a place for a couple months but then my aunt's memorial service was scheduled for late January in San Diego. At that point I figured that I would just make a quick trip from Florida to California for the that weekend.

Then DW butted in, saying that if we were going to California that we might as well go from there to Hawaii. So Florida is off and we will be spending about 10 days in southern California, then a week on the Big Island, a week on Oahu and then 3 weeks in Austin visiting relatives, returning home at the end of February in time for the college hockey post-season and spring skiing.

Interesting that this whirlwind tour is only a little more (less than $1,000) than if we had just gone to Florida and made a quick trip to California for the memorial service since I was able to score some pretty good deals on airfare and rental cars.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #1252
Recycles dryer sheets

I just booked a trip to Yountville in the Napa valley, staying at the Vintage Inn. The town is Foodie Heaven. I plan on eating, reading, soaking at the spa, and sleeping. This is my retirement present to myself. I will be one month and one week retired by then!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #1253
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny727 View Post
I just booked a trip to Yountville in the Napa valley, staying at the Vintage Inn. The town is Foodie Heaven. I plan on eating, reading, soaking at the spa, and sleeping. This is my retirement present to myself. I will be one month and one week retired by then!
Eat a chocolate croissant at bouchon. One of the best things I have ever had
Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #1254
Give me a forum ...

We are taking a quick trip to New Orleans to celebrate my birthday .Plan on visiting the World War 2 museum , maybe the civil war museum & visiting the various restaurants & jazz clubs.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #1255

Just booked a cruise from Sydney to various ports in New Zealand, early November over a 2 week period.

For a month prior to that we'll be in Hobart, Tasmania. July through end of September we'll be in Australia, flexible itinerary.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Just booked a cruise from Sydney to various ports in New Zealand, early November over a 2 week period.

For a month prior to that we'll be in Hobart, Tasmania. July through end of September we'll be in Australia, flexible itinerary.
Jealous!!!! Wow, what an adventure! Are you aware of the potential for housesitting in Australia? Check out housecarers.com.

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #1257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Wow, 5 months! You must be wealthy or something......
Old 01-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #1258
Give me a forum ...

Flying to New Zealand this afternoon for a bike tour. We booked business class with FF miles and all but the return leg to Honolulu ended up in first class. Should be nice for such a long trip.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Flying to New Zealand this afternoon for a bike tour. We booked business class with FF miles and all but the return leg to Honolulu ended up in first class. Should be nice for such a long trip.
Brilliant, that sounds fantastic.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Jealous!!!! Wow, what an adventure! Are you aware of the potential for housesitting in Australia? Check out housecarers.com.
Thanks, house sitting is not something we have ever tried, but I'll pass on the suggestion to my travel agent (DW).

Fortunately we have plenty of friends and relatives to dump on stay with on the mainland. In fact my brother and his wife and daughters all work 2.5 hrs drive in from the coastal town of McKay where they own houses, so we will actually be doing some house sitting since they don't live there during the week.

We have just sent off an inquiry for a place to rent for a month in Tasmania, close to the center of Hobart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wow, 5 months! You must be wealthy or something......
Just no plans to leave anything to the kids

This will be our 5th year of traveling for 5+ months each year. I'm sure we'll tire of it eventually, or our bodies will shout ENOUGH ALREADY!