Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading to Crete, for a week in October, with my wife to see our friend’s newly completed retirement villa. Never been before and am really looking forward to it!

I'm so jealous of the long time y'all are getting over there to see the whole country!!

Lsbcal, they will do the west coast and a bit of the Everglades without me, but we will start in Miami (Brits want to see the glamor spots) then a couple of days the Keys, followed by a day or so visiting a friend in Boca. Then the dreaded Disney part (j/k: I am secretly looking forward to it) for a few days. I want to show them St Augustine and Savannah, and probably stop in Beaufort SC as well before we get to Charleston.
I'm also planning (for next spring) a lazy person's paddling trip somewhere in central Florida with a girlfriend who lives in Dubai and wants a short adventure. Any suggestions on this would be most helpful!

I have been to Miami and it was not to my liking. Too many augmented women, bad traffic, and shabby bars on South Beach.

Yeah I'd love to see Melbourne some day. Often ranked high for lifestyle but pricey housing.

A good friend of ours was born and grew up in Adelaide, and has lived and worked in Melbourne, Sydney, Vancouver, Seattle and now LA (Santa Monica). Before we left he told us that his favorite city, by a long way, is Melbourne.

I was down at the Viking Bar when an Aussie walked in. We started shooting the bull and I volunteered that I had a good buddy from Melbourne. He looked at me askance and after a pause said:

"I wouldn't go spreading that around mate..." :D

Fort Walton Beach, first week of October.

It has been a decade since enjoying that area. We are looking forward to days of the ocean, reading, beer and good food.

Lived in the Ft. Walton Beach/Destin area for eight years in the 80's but have not been back since around '95. Can't imagine how much it has changed since then.

A buddy and I are heading over to the mainland on Tuesday and will drive 4 hours south along the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula to Mahahual near the Belizean border. Will spend 4 days or so diving and just exploring the area.

A buddy and I are heading over to the mainland on Tuesday and will drive 4 hours south along the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula to Mahahual near the Belizean border. Will spend 4 days or so diving and just exploring the area.

Hey, we're going to be in Mahahual on Thursday! Our cruise stops there for the day. Not sure what we are going to do yet, but it'll be something lazy! Are you based in Cozumel? We'll be there on Monday.

Hey, we're going to be in Mahahual on Thursday! Our cruise stops there for the day. Not sure what we are going to do yet, but it'll be something lazy! Are you based in Cozumel? We'll be there on Monday.

Yes, I'm in Cozumel. I'll be glad to buy a round of Margs or cervezas if you're so inclined.

Monday might be tough depending on when your ship is in port as I have to get DW out the door and to the airport that day for her trip to Paris.

I know we'll be diving two tanks Thursday morning so probably won't get back to the hotel until around 1-1:30.

Either way, let me know if I can answer any questions about Coz.

I'm so jealous of the long time y'all are getting over there to see the whole country!!

Lsbcal, they will do the west coast and a bit of the Everglades without me, but we will start in Miami (Brits want to see the glamor spots) then a couple of days the Keys, followed by a day or so visiting a friend in Boca. Then the dreaded Disney part (j/k: I am secretly looking forward to it) for a few days. I want to show them St Augustine and Savannah, and probably stop in Beaufort SC as well before we get to Charleston.
I'm also planning (for next spring) a lazy person's paddling trip somewhere in central Florida with a girlfriend who lives in Dubai and wants a short adventure. Any suggestions on this would be most helpful!

Tubed here years ago...

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Yes, I'm in Cozumel. I'll be glad to buy a round of Margs or cervezas if you're so inclined.

Monday might be tough depending on when your ship is in port as I have to get DW out the door and to the airport that day for her trip to Paris.

I know we'll be diving two tanks Thursday morning so probably won't get back to the hotel until around 1-1:30.

Either way, let me know if I can answer any questions about Coz.

Thanks for the offer, but we might not get off the ship in Cozumel. Our 8 and 9 year old are traveling with us, so we might enjoy the fun stuff on the ship that day and take it easy.

Off to Osaka/Kyoto for a week starting end Sept. Haven't visited Japan for around 10 years. Will rely on their railway system for most part of my transportation. Hope there's more English directions compared to when I was there last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks for the offer, but we might not get off the ship in Cozumel. Our 8 and 9 year old are traveling with us, so we might enjoy the fun stuff on the ship that day and take it easy.

Let me know if you change your mind. Have a great trip!

Durnstein is beautiful (even in the rain). I think this is a good plan. One of my group hiked up to the castle.

The Blondel inn is right in the centre of town and looks lovely, though I did not eat there.

Hotel Restaurant Sänger Blondel

The Hotel Schloss is at the top of the hill and there is a wonderful view of the Wachau Valley. Didn't eat there either, but it looked very inviting.

Hotel Schloss Dürnstein
We didn't make it up to the castle. We had very good weather in Austria, right until we reached Vienna. Then there were several days of rain, some heavy, forecast. So we headed to Melk and the Wachau Valley the next day as no rain expected in the morning. By the time we got to the Danube cruise the wet weather rolled in. So we ditched the hike to the castle ruin in Dürnstein. Our consolation prize was afternoon coffee/tea and dessert at the Hotel Restaurant Sänger Blondel where we had the best desert of the trip! Marrillentram = apricot ice cream sundae, see photos below. Thanks Meadbh!

Lovely town. We can't wait to go back. We got a few breaks in the wet Vienna weather - sun came out late in the afternoon at Schönbrunn Palace, and after a couple of very wet days, it dried up enough on Sunday to go up into the Vienna woods, enjoy some views and hike down to the heurigers in Heilengestadt where Beethoven used to live (Vienna outskirts).

When we reached Füssen, Bavaria, the weather was absolutely gorgeous, and we couldn't have had better for our day sightseeing Bavarian castles.

Attachments

• 140911_Marillentraum.jpg
    140911_Marillentraum.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 140911_Icecream_menu_Sänger_Blondel.jpg
    140911_Icecream_menu_Sänger_Blondel.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Getting ready for my annual trek to Denver for the Great American Beer Festival next week. It just gets so much bigger every year, and I understand there will be over 5,000 beers entered in the competition this year.

Anyone else planning to be there? I'd be happy to have a beer with you.

I've always wanted to go to the GABF, but never have gone. Lots of my club members go every year. I didn't get tickets, so I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

Tickets sell out within minutes of going on sale every year.
There are always tickets available from scalpers outside the hall, and if you wait about 15 minutes after the session starts, you can usually get a ticket at face value or less.

Just got back from a weekend in Kent Island, Maryland. First time for me on the Chesapeake, very relaxed, enjoyable trip. We were there for a wedding and DW was unable to attend so I did with our free time was eat lots of crab. :)

Working on our 2015 'big' trip this morning. DH is turning 60 and wants to celebrate in a major way, so we'll be doing a 207 mile long, 15 day guided Coast to Coast walk in N. England, followed by 10 days in Scotland, then a month in an apartment in Paris.

The tour group we will be using for the Coast to Coast walk will include detailed walking maps, a 'live' guide on the trail in the event we want help navigating, our nightly lodgings, plus luggage movement each AM to the next lodge. Basically all we'll have to do is show up and walk.

We enjoy these type of challenges and will spend most of the first part of 2015 following a marathon training guide in preparation, along with weekly hikes up into our local mountains. My idea of heaven is a trip where we get to expend lots of energy, followed by eating whatever we want, and still come home having lost weight.

We just booked flights to Kauai for 11 days in February. I can hardly wait! Best part is that we had enough FF files to cover the tickets.

Just booked a week in Roatan for my 60th birthday. I wanted someplace warm, with beach snorkeling, stars, beachfront bars, lazy afternoons in a big deck chair Spent ALOT of time researching airfares all over the Caribbean with google flights. Found direct flights out of DFW for $800, but if we fly out of houston, with a connecting flight to DFW, the were only $418, go figure! Using a travel voucher I got for a bumped flight and my accrued credit card points, and my trip will be nearly FREE!!

Off to Japan for a week. This time covering Osaka and Kyoto. Looking forward to some good sashimi, sushi, udon, ramen........😏

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I was going to go here, but I figured it wouldn't be exciting enough.

Attachments

• dull.jpg
    dull.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 13
Just got back from an 8 night visit to Italy for DW's 50th bday. Two nights in Venice, train to Florence for 5 nights and then back to Venice for 1 night before flying out. That one night was also the wedding day for a certain Hollywood star so Venice was incredibly crowded (but fun). Highlight for me was a Vespa tour in Tuscany (Chianti) with lunch/wine stops.

Just booked a week in Roatan for my 60th birthday. I wanted someplace warm, with beach snorkeling, stars, beachfront bars, lazy afternoons in a big deck chair Spent ALOT of time researching airfares all over the Caribbean with google flights. Found direct flights out of DFW for $800, but if we fly out of houston, with a connecting flight to DFW, the were only $418, go figure! Using a travel voucher I got for a bumped flight and my accrued credit card points, and my trip will be nearly FREE!!

We just went to Roatan for a day while on our cruise. It was hot! I went swimming and snorkeling and cooled off a bit (but the sunburn wasn't fun). Awesome vegetation and sea life even 20-30 yards off the beach!

My non-swimming DW was burning up in the shade so we only spent a couple of hours on the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom